Just started 5 mg of Citalopram.....scared!

Posted , 33 users are following.

I have been prescribed Citalopram for general anxiety and mild depression by my doctor. The past few months I have had anxiety and depression that I just cannot shake, and I thought I could handle it without meds but alas here I am. Initially he gave me 50 mg of Sertraline, but I had to stop after 1 dose because of insane side affects; insomnia, scary thoughts, absolutely no appetite, shaky-ness and overall feeling drugged out. My husband was scared to death for me and we decided that I would not take another pill of that. My doctor agreed that I am extremely sensitive to SSRI's, and trying another option was what will be best for me.

I have decided to ease into the Citalopram, and have taken 5 mg about an hour and a half ago. I feel very calm, a little zoned out and sleepy. Is this normal? This morning I was a basketcase of nerves, pounding heart, etc. Could it be a placebo effect? I was so incredibly scared to take even this small amount so I don't really know how my body is going to react. Any comments are appreciated!! :-)

1 like, 114 replies

114 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am on day 6 of cit 20mg.  Lots of side effects but they dont sound as bad as what you experience d . I hope this works for you and the beginning in bearable as I am still experiencing headache shakes sicknesd high level anxiety. This is not all day everyday more in waves. Fingers crossed you can cope with them as I am hoping this Is my route to a calmer life x take care and good luck  
    • Posted

Thanks Zoe, I appreciate your input! I feel like mine sort of comes in waves too, so I definitely know the feeling. I have been pretty blessed that I don't have terrible side effects, just the heightened anxiety and I can't stop yawning in the mornings. A little bit of jaw clenching too while I sleep. Hang in there, we can do it!!
  • Posted

A small dose of diazapam would not go a miss, calms you down quite nicely and releases the tension. It's a short term based drug but it helped me a lot. 
  • Posted

Hey everyone! Day 8 of 20 mg of Cit here. I have been SO emotional lately! Seriously my moods go from being super anxious, to calm, to bursting into tears, and then back to laughing and calm again. I spoke to my doctor and he said that is to be expected in the first week, and hopefully in the next week or 2 it will start to calm down a little bit. I just get so frustrated because I think I'm feeling better and then my anxiety takes a hold again and I feel crappy. Anyone else feel this way? It's so hard to perservere and there are days like yesterday where I just felt like "Screw it!" and didn't want to take my pill today, but I did. 
    • Posted

Hi I am on day 10 . My firat day with no sickness or headache but sleep is an issue as I seem to wake up around 4.30 am after only getting to sleep about 11 pm. But I hope as I get back to work and start to do more I will be more tired at night. My anxiety is still higher t han before I started but side effects are easing. 

We can do this x 

• Posted

Thanks for the positive push! I definitely feel like my anxiety is way worse now too since starting Cit. I don't have very many side effects except for constantly wanting to move my feet or hands, shaking a little and some minor headaches. I'm glad I'm not the only one, that helps me feel better. 
  • Posted

I just started taking 5 mg of ciralopram....this is day 2. I've been depressed and not beenough able to shake it because of my parents getting a rather messy divorce. I feel worse after taking the meds, but this is a start to getting to 10mg...how fast should I do that? The medicine makes me have a headache and dry heave and I've woken both mornings with a pounding heart and high anxiety and clammy. Also, does anybody else feel they are "out of body" feeling with their depression or anxiety? I feel it's weird to be alive, to be me, and I really want to get better and also work on a relationship with my fairly new boyfriend and well as my teaching. I even get high panic attacks while driving. Will taking meds help at all? Is this all normal?
    • Posted

I am also starting on 5 mg and my doctor suggested I stay there for two weeks and then move up to 10 mg. I tried Paxil first but I ended up dry heaving, unable to eat, and shaking so bad I couldn't even hold a cup in my hand. I know half of it was my anxiety because I didn't want to start any drugs at all but I also think the dosage was too high. Therefore, we're moving with baby steps on the Cit.
  • Posted

Hi

I took 5mg for a week. I stopped abruptly two nights ago which I probably shouldn't have done. I had the worst headache I felt zoned out like you. Foggy headed and had severe palpitations. That's why I stopped. I'm not trying anymore.

• Posted

I'm on the same thing but haven't taken then. I work and don't know if I should take at night or day.
  • Posted

Hello everyone!

Firstly, I just want to say that all of your messages have given me a boost of positivity and a sign of hope. It's day 6 on 5mg of citalopram and I have been experiencing: insomnia, loss of appetite, severe anxiety and occasional panic attacks (especially at night). I thought as I am on a low dose I would be okay but I am really struggling. I just want to give up with the meds. I feel like my anxiety is worse than it was before I started taking the medication.  I know Bri_flower and Zoe mentioned this too. 

I am struggling tonight as I am so tired but can't switch off, I have an amazing boyfriend who is supporting me every step of the way but it's still tough. Reading all of your messages tonight has helped me dramatically which is why I thought I would share my journey. 

I also have one question, what does it feel like to increase the dose? I am supposed to increase my dose tomorrow but feeling a little nervous and anxious about it. 

Thanks again for all your messages and hopefully I can provide some positive insight as time goes by. 

I hope everyone is feeling a bit better than the day before. 

• Posted

Just to add the increased dose is 10mg. 
  • Posted

Hello, I found this thread and it looks like its from a year or so ago.  I am wondering if you can tell me if you are still on Citalopram, and how it's working for you?  I started 5mg on Monday this week, took my 5th dose this morning.  Having the same side effects as you had - nausea, increased anxiety, no appetite.  I definitely am feeling worse this week than last week before meds.  I am hopeful the side effects lessen and go away, and I've heard they do, but it's so hard to ride it out.  I just wanted to get your current experience, since this thread was from a while ago.  How are you feeling now?  Thanks.

• Posted

Hello! I noticed the last post on here was 8 mo. ago. Anyone still here?

I'm 22 y/o nursing student, just started citalopram 20 mg about 2 days ago. Being treated for anxiety and agoraphobia. Anxiety got so bad since school started I can barley sit in my chair. Walked out twice already. sad

So far im feeling some of the side effects- nauseated, sweaty palms, "out of it" at times.. I'm hoping to feel some relief from anxiety soon.. I'm going to start hitting the gym before class to see if that provides some relief.

Would love to chat with other people feeling how I am, I feel as if i really need some support during this.

• Posted

Hey there,just wondering how your doing ? I just started 5mg this morning .so far I just have chills and diareah but it's only need 2 hours so I'm worried about increase anxiety. I'm taking it for anxiety and agoraphobia as well. After 7 days I will move to 10mg. Has it helped you??

• Posted

Hi Jenny, thanks for your response, it's good to hear from others on this medicine. Well I been on citalopram for about two months now and i no longer walk out of class. I'm still on 20 mg and I definitely feel much better. I don't even think about it anymore l. Push through the side effects will subside!!

• Posted

OMG that is so good to hear!!!! I will keep trucking on!!!! Thank you!!!! When did you start to notice you could go places and didn't have anxiety?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.