Just started 5 mg of Citalopram.....scared!

Posted , 33 users are following.

I have been prescribed Citalopram for general anxiety and mild depression by my doctor. The past few months I have had anxiety and depression that I just cannot shake, and I thought I could handle it without meds but alas here I am. Initially he gave me 50 mg of Sertraline, but I had to stop after 1 dose because of insane side affects; insomnia, scary thoughts, absolutely no appetite, shaky-ness and overall feeling drugged out. My husband was scared to death for me and we decided that I would not take another pill of that. My doctor agreed that I am extremely sensitive to SSRI's, and trying another option was what will be best for me.

I have decided to ease into the Citalopram, and have taken 5 mg about an hour and a half ago. I feel very calm, a little zoned out and sleepy. Is this normal? This morning I was a basketcase of nerves, pounding heart, etc. Could it be a placebo effect? I was so incredibly scared to take even this small amount so I don't really know how my body is going to react. Any comments are appreciated!! :-)

1 like, 114 replies

114 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi guys your feedback is so helpful. I've been struggle with anxiety for years. It runs in my family. My father in law is in hospital with cancer now and has triggered severe anxiety with a chronic sense of fear all day long. I was recommended by my therapist and GP to start on celexa which I had taken 5 years ago for only a month. Prescribed 20mg and I am so hypersensitive to all these meds that I actually decided to cut it to 5mg to start. And right away today my first day I'm feeling periods of fear, anxiety this woozy feeling and scary intrusive thoughts. I didn't think such a low dose could make me feel anything on day one. I also don't know if what I'm feeling is just my anxiety or side effects because they're so similar! Any advice would be greatly appreciated, do stay on the 5mg for a few more days before going to 10 and then eventually 20mg? I honestly feel like giving up. But my family needs me I want to be strong for them.

• Posted

Hey Fernando 21 ,I've been on citalopram for about a month . I started with 5mg for a week and was to go to 10 mg after a week and on day 3 of 5 mg I had a major panic attack . After the week of 5mg I felt super great . I was in such a happy place.i started to take 10 mg and all of a sudden I got a bit depressed it felt. I'm doing better but sometimes days are still hard . I've never suffered with depression I've been taking it for anxiety . So the depression is new for me but I'm told to keep going that it will get better . I can tell you that my anxiety has gotten better but the scared feeling are sometimes still there . I felt woozy when I first started as well and my jaw clenches. It will get better . Stay strong . I'm very sensitive to drugs too and 5mg affected me as well. It's very normal but just remember that the therapudic dose is 10mg and it will take 6-8 weeks for the full effect. Give it some time .

• Posted

Hi JEnny thanks for the response. I moved up to 10mg yesterday took my 2nd one today. My morning are the worst feel anxious a bit shaky and get intrusive thoughts. My father in law very sick with cancer in hospital and that's what triggered all this spike. I get frustrated feeling this way when I want to be strong for my wife and family. This is Day 4 on Cit for me 2 days on 5mg 2 days on 10. Can't wait to level so I can more supportive and less afraid all the time. Again mainly in the mornings. The afternoon and evenings I feel more like myself. My stomach starting to act up a bit now too. Not hungry much and feeling some heartburn and discomfort. But I keep telling myself this will pass and there's hope at the end of all this. Been praying a lot more too and helps soothe me. Thanks again

• Posted

When are you taking it? I take mine a ton 9:30am every morning and have no sleep problems or anything like that but I do get jittery .i find that keeping myself busy helps a lot!!!! This past Sunday I went out for breakfast and found myself realizing my anxiety wasn't high and and noise wasn't bothering me .it was super liberating !!!! I've been on for just over a month now :-) not a 100% fix. I still get "off" days but feeling better forsure !!!!! Hand in there and I've heard therapy plus meds is double beneficial !!

• Posted

Hi. I'm now on day 10 of 10mg's and today I feel worse for some reason. Almost like I did on the very first day on 5mg. I'm scared because I would have thought by now things would be subsiding. I don't have anyone else to really talk through this with because no one in my family has been on the med before. Dr originally said give it 6 weeks but I thought by now I'd have some relief. I did early on but now on this 2nd week it's as if I taken a step backward. Is this normal part of process? Anyone else feel the same? I feel I need encouragement to push through.

Thanks.

• Posted

Totally normal !!!! Keep pushing through . Don't forget this isn't a miracle drug but It will make whatever you would have felt less. So if you're feeling crappy just think how worse you would have felt not on the drug. Give it the 6 weeks it takes. I don't even think about it anymore and my anxiety is so much better . Not gone but better.

• Posted

How many weeks in are you? The fear feeling goes throughout my entire body out of no where even after having a good morning. And then I get scary intrusive thoughts that really freak me out. Which then leads me to questions taking this drug anymore. I'm at 11 days. When I feel bad I think to myself no way I can make it 6 weeks like this! So hard.

• Posted

I'm on 5 weeks now and wow I don't feel anything I did at the beginning .even at 3 weeks I still get off and like my soul was screaming at times but it got better ! Talk to your doctor before quiting regardless but my advice to you is to hang in there. Every WEEK gets better ,not in days but weeks . If it can do for you what it did for me I hope you stick it out !

• Posted

Ok thank you. That's a good point you make in looking at in terms of weeks instead of days. I've been over focused on days and just waitIng to be better. This is only the middle of my second week. So in that light you're right hasn't been that long. I do notice like today my biggest lie follows my biggest high. I felt good all morning today and then bam out of nowhere at 2pm this feeling of terror and fear and I didn't want to move. Plus I feel more anxious when that happens to me home alone with my 5 year old son who poor thing just wants to play. I listened to my audio books of Dr Claire Weeks on Hope for the

nervously ill person and in hour in began to calm down. Then I'm left with the memory of what just happened. I will keep pushing through.

• Posted

My doctor had also prescribed me a 1mg of lorazepam to help me get through the beginning side effects of citalopram because citalopram can cause your anxiety to be worse at the beginning . The lorazepam REALLY helped me those first couple weeks and .5 was enough to calm me when a panic attack came. Maybe look into asking your dr for some as a "just in case" . Even having the lorazepam in my purse when I go out helps me be at ease because I know if I get anxiety or panic I have medicine that only takes 15 min to help me feel better. I've only had to take it three times but knowing it's there helps. I know it's hard !! I'm a single mom of a 3&5 year old so I get it !!!Keep trucking

• Posted

Yes I'm on .5mg of lorazepam twice per day. I take one in the morning and one at night for bed. I'm not sure the one in the day helps much. I feel as I get more of the Cit in my system my anxiety and fears only heightened as you mentioned. Did yours get worse right before you felt better?? Sorry for bothering you by the way with all of this stuff but it's been really difficult to find someone who can relate. And my wife is dealing with her dying father who's being taken care of at our home, he's in a Trach and tube feeding very high maintenance so we have a lot going and I don't want to add to her burden. But sometimes I just can't help it. Last couple of days have been the hardest. I got i nice jolt of energy and good feelings last night before bed but this morning forget, pure fear and terror again. I think I'm having panic attacks. I didn't really get those before. I just hope all this suffering is worth it in the end. Thanks again for your support on this.

• Posted

Hi ok so good news first, last night had my best night and a long time. In fact I took my wife and son to see Cars 3 at around 10pm. I felt great to be out. Didn't even think about my anxiety. Came home put my son to bed and fell asleep in peace.

Now my eye opened at 6am and almost immediate I became anxious and fearful. I FOUGHT hard to not allow it to escalate but there was not stopping it.

Did you go through something similar? So hard to comprehend how just a few hours I was awesome and in the morning is as if last night never happened.

Thanks.

• Posted

I definitely did at the beginning .thats when I'd take a .5 of lorazepam ,one night it got so bad I took a full 1mg of lorazepam . But don't worry ,one of the side effects is hightened anxieTy which is dumb because if you take it for anxiety it super sucks to have more at the beginning but once your body gets use to it you won't have any of the beginning side effect and that's what's your goal is! Remember though just because you're on citalopram doesn't mean you'll never have anxiety or feel down it just means it will work to make it so you can still function and what you would have experienced otherwise is waaaaaaay less. Keep trucking on my friend and remember I'm here if you ever need to vent or need encouragement !!!

• Posted

Thank you. Yeah the .5 helps at night but doesn't do much for me in the day. I keep getting this sensation of just fear and terror like I'm going to die. And I know you just mentioned the "at the beginning" and I didn't call my Dr yesterday and he said it's to soon to stop the medicine give it another 2 weeks but I feel as though I'm already 2 weeks into it why is the heightened anxiety so bad still? And why are me evenings so good? It's like I have to survive the day just to make it to the night to feel relief.

You know what I mean?

• Posted

I totally do, Ya they say to stay at least 4 weeks on meds to give them a fair shot. I still had anxiety up until probably week 4 so stay strong !!!!!
    • Posted

Hi Jenny. I have felt better going into week 3 starting Sun. I went back to work Monday thrown right into the fire with two days of conference meetings with all the managers but made it through the meetings without freaking out. This afternoon I've been feeling a bit low somewhat of a little setback perhaps from all the pressure of the meetings. But I have to believe the medicine is starting to work.

• Posted

Hi. Reaching the end of week 3. Looking for some encouragement. I felt a little better this week but still feel times of high anxiety including this morning. I'm doing therapy as well and using all my tools which makes it all the more frustrating to still feel so anxious and afraid. Any words of wisdom or encouragement greatly appreciated

• Posted

Good morning , just remember the drug isn't at it's full power to help you until 6 weeks. Every week will be better and to be honest I had anxiety until week 5 and now I very rarely get it at all and I'm on I think week 7? Just keep temibdjbg yourself that if you weren't on the meds your anxiety would be CRAZY high and even though you're still having it right now it's less crazy because the mess are helping you . They will help you more each week just give it time . By 6 weeks if you're still having high anxiety you may just need a higher dose (maybe 20mg) you're already doing the hard part getting through the horrible beginning side effects don't quit now . Citalopram has the least side effect of most sri's so upping mg's rather than quiting and trying a new one with worse Is the best idea . Give it the full 6 weeks. And if you STILL are having high anxiety talk to your doctor about the 20mg(very common dose) You're ahead of the game !!!!! Keep trucking !!! Sending positive vibes!!! You got this !!!

• Posted

Thanks so much. My Dr actually originally told me he thought I'd need 20mg but I chose to cut them in half and start with 10 due to my sensitivity so the script is currently for 20mg I'm just not taking the full amount yet.

I want to thank you for taking time out of your busy life to encourage a complete stranger. You don't see that often today and it has meant a lot to me. Thank you.

• Posted

One ore question did you still feel some of the side effects week 3? I haven't felt much this week and all of sudden today I'm feeling them a lot, the wooziness, the tensions in the head and jaw area making me clinch my teeth sweaty palms. It's weird that I haven't felt that in a few days and today I am. Just making sure that's part of it and can still happen at this point.

• Posted

Forbme the teeth clenching hasn't stopped .i still do it. Give yourself a break lol. Only 3 weeks :-) let your body adjust it will take time . Yes you are ok. Today I got a little dizzy a couple times. .freaked me out a bit but I know it won't last. I also notice side affects are worse if I'm not drinkig enough water . So keep a water bottle with you and drink drink drink lots of water !!! Keep me posted !! :-)

• Posted

Hi. Had my best day yet yesterday. Did so much and had so much energy I nearly felt like my old self.

At night though could not sleep thoughts racing and this morning super anxious again. It's as if my body and medicine aren't getting in the same page consistently. No I don't know it's because it's going to take the full 6 weeks or if I need to go up 20mg but these highs and lows don't feel right. Or does everyone go through this with this medicine for this long?

I want it to work so bad. And when I feel good I'm like yes, it's working I'm almost there, then next day down again I feel more negative like this should working by now.

• Posted

Hi. I spoke with Dr office today explained my ups and downs. He said go ahead and go to the 20mg now. That these medicines to take time and they are trials because everyone is different. But the fact I've had some ups leads him to believe once on the right dose I should feel better longer and less side effects. To give the new dose another 4 weeks for full effect but I should feel better sooner than that.

I'm so scared to start all over. Almost feels like I waisted the first month. And I really don't want to feel the side effects again.

• Posted

Hi. Went up to 15mgs yesterday. Started feeling all the side effects all over again as if I just started and didn't take 10mg for 3 and half weeks. Now I'm regretting not staying at the 10mg longer to see if I would level out. At this point I'm not sure what to do, if to ride out these side effects of fear high anxiety crazy thoughts all over again at 15mg or if I should go back down to 10 and give it more time. My Dr prescribed 20 but the way I feel on 15 I don't think I can handle 20.

My family has been very supportive throughout all this and it helps to have people to talk to in order to get through the worse of it.

• Posted

You can do this !!!! Have faith in your self !!! And remember this allllll this is for a greater good. Yes you will have side effects again but you got through them before and you can do it again.!!!! Trust me ...I know we don't know each other but I'm confident you can do this ....for your kids ,for your wife and especially for yourself. You deserve to have a happy and minimal anxiety in your life !!!!! Keep going man!!!!!! You got this . Don't waists your time with 15 just do 20,get the side effects over with !!!

• Posted

First let me say you should be a professional motivator or coach or something! I can feel your passion and Positives genuine energy coming through

Your message so thank you very much.

AS for 20 I don't know. These last 2 days on 15 have been really bad. ALL the negative intrusive thoughts came back, the anxiety the fear the tension all of it. And I'm so scared what double the strength might make me feel. It may push me over the edge and I don't want that. I want like you said to get better for me and my family. They deserve it. Also we are going on 4th of July vacation this Sat and I don't want to be dealing with severe side effects in the middle of our vacation. I don't know what the right answer is really. But reading your messages always makes feel hope and a little stronger. Thanks!

• Posted

Awww thank you . That means a lot!

How about make a deal with yourself ,a week or two of 15 to get your body use to the extra 5 understanding that these feelings and side effects are totally normal and aren't forever and then after a week or two you up another 5 mg.

You have to keep telling yourself that these side effect are the mountain you have to climb to at to that gorgeous view . It will be worth it my friend !! I felt a bit dizzy yesterday and today which has me worried I may need to up my dose to but I'm staying positive . I hate the invading thoughts . They've been quiet for so long and to have them again it nerve racking .my body may be strong to use to my dose and need a up. So I'll be right with you going through the crappy side effects . Lol. We can freak out knowing someone is freaking out with you lol

• Posted

Lol. Ok deal. I will go 2 weeks on 15 if I don't feel at my normal self I will try the 20

But if i feel good I'm staying at 15!

Please keep me posted on your progress too. I really hope you stay feeling well. I've been doing the therapy thing, excercise and reading a lot of positIve books as well

I don't get the dizziness but I do get palpitations like my heart skips beats. I hate those had them for years. They're on a flare up now too. I'm not saying it's due to the medicine but probably the highten anxiety

Thank you again. Stay in touch!

• Posted

Totally feeling effects this evening. Lasting longer than when I was 10mg. Every evening on the 10 i would feel better. This dose doesn't seem to let up. Feel jittery, tension in head/neck and like a tingle in my forearms. Making hard to tell myself it won't last, this is only temporary. But trying to push through having faith that in the end I will be better

• Posted

Had a really great 3-4 HR period today feeling really good at the 15mg. Feeling a bit anxious now but hoping that was a sign of what is to come once my body stabilizes.
    • Posted

Hi. Just checking in to see how you're feeling these days?! Hope you hd a great 4th holiday.

I seem to be doing better each day. Had a great vacation with my family. Although to be honest as soon as I got home much of the old anxiety feelings and intrusive thoughts started to creep back in. Can't believe my own home triggers this stuff.

Going on 5 weeks now!

• Posted

Hello there :-)

Things are doing ok,the odd time I've notice intrusive thoughts my mind just going and worrying why it's going lol. But for the most part I've been ok. I have a crazy cold right now so that's never fun and I always feel worse when I'm sick. Worrying that I'm dying or something. I'm in Canada born and raised so no 4th of July for me but we do celebrate Canada day on July 1st so that was fun. I went camping which I haven't done for like 20 years and to be honest dreaded going . My boyfriend twisted my arm and I was super resentful inside . But then I went canoeing and holy cow,I found myself starring at the wolderbess around me and feeling good at utter peace with myself . In my life everything is so go go go and it was a reminder to me how much I need to just "be" sometimes . I just went through a horrible divorce 6 months ago and was mentally broken and in some ways I still am . But I'm on my way to feeling whole again and not like I'm going crazy lol a lot has to do with citalopram so keep hanging in there buddy ??

• Posted

Hi. I'm having a panic attack this morning. I'm afraid to go face my meeting for work today. Does that make sense 5 weeks into this drug? After having such a good 4 days earlier this week? 2 weeks ago I had meetings and I didn't feel this anxious about going. I can't seem to rationalize this.

Really thought this Med would help more by now with a scenario like this? Did you go through similar this many weeks in?

Even after feeling good for a few days?

Thanks

• Posted

Morning :-) you haven't been on the drug that your brain needs for 5 weeks. You can't think like that. You were on a dosage that didn't work for you and wasn't enough for awhile and now you've upd it to your new dosage . How long have you need on the new dosage ? That's how you have to think about it . Your side affects start over when you up your dosage because it's like starting at the beginning introducing more ssri to your brain. Don't forget Ssri don't cure panic and anxiety they just lesson them . You need to remember that. That panic attack you had this morning ? Maybe a 3 on the Rictor scale would have felt like a 5 if you weren't on it . Let the meds do their thing . Have you started the 20? Or still on the 15? Keep your head up :-)

• Posted

You're right Only about 2 weeks on the new strength of 15. Didn't realize starts the clock all over again.

I actually performed really well when I got there even though I felt bad inside. I'm proud of myself for that.

• Posted

I think you're right. I'm feeling side effects today. Weird that on vacation I didn't get it and now I am. Yes I'm on 15. I see my Dr on Tues who I'm sure is going to say I should have went to 20. I don't know what the answer is at this point. I just want to feel better.

• Posted

I started the 15 on Tues last week so a little less than 2 weeks on this dose. I'm definitely feeling side effects today. The teeth clenching, the heighten anxiety, the intrusive thoughts, fear everything I got last week when I went up to 15. I guess I caught a lucky break those 5 days in the middle while on vacation where I had no side effects.

• Posted

Remember when i said you should just go on the 20mg right away and not start with 15? Lol this is why. I feel like you need the 20 and you've put yourself in the position that your going to have side effects again on the 20 because Your adding and each time you add your introducing a new level to your brain and it has to get use to it . So....don't give up and just listen to your doctor . Go on the 20mg.....it will suck and you'll have side effects but you have some now why prolong it? Plus the sooner you get on the 20 the sooner you'll feel better . I say give the 20mg a FULL 5 week starting on the first day of 20mg as day 1 and if you're not feeling soooooooo much better by week 5 then it's time to start thinking about switching ssri s but not yet. You've come a long way don't give up now .!!!!! And really this 15 mg thing was your fault for not listening lol

• Posted

But the side effects are so bad. Imagine if I were in 20 what I would be feeling. I even cried a few minutes ago I'm a mess. And then I start to think what if I can't make it. Then I get really scared. I feel like I'm going to just pass out. This sucks so bad!!

Plus how do u explain 5 good days. I never had that many good days in a row before.

• Posted

You're freaking yourself out . Remember you're not going to die and be ok with passing out lolok know that sounds weird but your body is freaking out . Your prolonging this feeling /. I get that the 20 scares you but think of a week or two awful oppose to a week or so somewhat awful and then bumping up to 20mg(cause you k ow you will have to) and having to feel another two weeks kinda awful. You could have been over the hump but instead you're dragging it out . Can't you say to your wife " look I'm going up to 20, I'm gonna need your help cause I'm gonna be a mess for a bit but the their I s a rainbow and the quicker I can get there the better . Take 2 weeks off work and accept your crazy for it . Whatever you have to do you need to get on the twenty and get through the side effects.the first two- three weeks are the worst . Hang in there !!!!! Don't give up !!!!! It will get better please believe me !!!

• Posted

Please understand what you're describing is happening right now. My wife is home this weekend my parents have been extremely supportive my mom came over last night just to give me a back rub help calm me down. The all hands on deck is now. The side effects are through the roof on 15mg. I can't handle another up tick right now. My body is in shock. If I did this to myself it doesn't help me to think back and regret and question that only makes me feel worse. My wife agrees that maybe 20 off the bat would've been best but she also sees how sensitive I am and what this strength is doing to me now and thinks just stay at 15 and that's it. One mistake I don't want to repeat is giving full 6 weeks. I barely finished 3 weeks on 10 and was already calling Dr asking if up and down is normal at this point which lead to the increase. I have to at least see one strength all the way through.

In Aug I get back on the road for work and can't be feeling like this.

• Posted

Hi fernando21,

Have you considered spacing out the meds over the course of the day?

I was placed on 10mg 9years ago and i remember it took months to get better but finally it helped alongside support of the SO and CBT.

Last year i came off it for 6months and relapsed after a trigger, and i decided i would i back on it. I started with 10mg and it messed me up so hard so i decided to go 5mg......but 2.5mg in the morning and 2.5mg in the evening. Then after a month or so i just took the 5mg in th evenings. After 3 months or so i finally felt better but still have bad days and want to increase to 10mg a day......i think 5mg in the morning and evening as i seem to respond better to that than taking it at only one point of the day.

Consider if this could be better for you in terms of going on 20mg daily. 10mg in morning 10mg in evening.

• Posted

Hi thank you. Turns out 10 is the right dose. I needed to give it more time. 15 was too much. Been back on 10 for a week now doing really well.
    • Posted

Really glad to hear!!! I hope it continues to be good for you 😊

I've gone up to 10mg starting yesterday.......i don't feel too bad but im constantly mediating which i hope helps lessen any side effects. Fingers crossed!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.