Just started Fluoxetine

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello everyone.

I have suffered on and off (Mainly on) with Very severe Panic attacks and Nervous problems since @1984.

I had no idea that Panic attacks even existed, and my feelings of anxiety increased bit by bit over time. I also suffered with Terrible insomnia ( Iknow realise this was mainly caused by my panics), and began taking time off work over it ( when I was at work ( ACar factory) I received NO HELP at all with my agitated state, so eventually saw a GP ( first of many) about why i was feeling so drained and agitated and Anxious. To cut a long story short, I have never received any proper treatment that Really worked since, and have just panicked my way through life, mainly using Alcohol as a "Crutch", which helped for a few hours in the short term, but the panics and anxiety and insomnia have never really went away. I could feel all those old feelings starting to build up massively over the last few weeks, and, 5 days ago, I made a GP Appointment.

I almost had a complete nervous breakdown in his surgery as I explained my fears, and, to his credit, he listened Carefully. He suggest a course of 20mg Fluoxetine Daily.I am now on day 5, and can already begin to feel a slight change in my moods and attitude. I hope this continues, and can i say I am so glad that I found this website, as, reading through others comments and advice, I feel, will be of Incredible benefit to me Thank You for that.

I finally feel, after so long without adequate treatment, that I have been given something that actually will help...I know it is far too early to say, but even my partner has noticed a change in my behaviour...for the better!!,,,Fingers crossed I have found the help I Needed!!

4 likes, 89 replies

89 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

P.S,

Yesterday, an old friend phoned and asked could he visit me/Us. My partner answered and agreed...When He told me, I (Unusually, for me, as i dearly love and enjoy my friends company whenever we get together) said I wasn't really in the mood for any visits ( Possible side effect). But my partner said "Oh come on....he always cheers you/us up"....

A hour later, My mate arrived, and seemed his usual bouncy funny self....And then, after a few minutes, he Broke down in tears and told us he was suffering from svere depression, and "Downers"...

My partner just rolled his eyes, as if to say "You wait AGES for a Bus, Then TWO come along at once"...but immediatly stopped what he was doing ( Painting a bedroom...) and Hugged my/our friend.

We all then sat around and had a good Ol' chin-wag...and going to the pub to talk never once crossed any of our thoughts...

To cut a long story short, My friend left feeling MUCH better, and I felt Better for seeing him, and sharing our experiences and worries face to Face was Great way of giving "Help" to each other, If tha doesn't sound too strange.

Thank you all again for your Tips, advice, and understanding, It Is VERY MUCH appreciated

PPS, Usually, if I was about to type something as long as this, I would have a glass or two of Alcohol next to me as i did it....This time it has been a Cup of Tea!!!

...One small step, and all that!! Thanks again...I feel i am FINALLY getting "Somewhere", after MANY years in the wilderness smile

• Posted

Absolutely brilliant, David!! Well done all of you!

It's the good days and moments that keep us going on the long journey back to heallth. May you have many more of them!!

• Posted

It's very strange as I've since found some close friends and family suffer too!  People I wouldn't think of ........ it's so common, and we all hide it until we find someone close by and it makes us feel human again.  It's good to help each other.

Glad to hear you're doing well :-)

• Posted

Hi David just interested as to why your doc prescribed fluoxetine over other anxiety meds...did they give a particular reason? I'm on the same stuff but most people I know suffering similar are on citalopram. 
  • Posted

Hi David, I have No idea why he suggested giving Fluoxetine a try, except that I was in a very distressed and agitated state at the time I saw him.

I asked for a "Short term" help with my sleeping and panic attacks, and he thought it was best for me, going by my nervous Condition, that I should try a "Longer term" course of tablets.

I can already feel a marked improvement in my moods, and quite a few people have said how much Healthier I am looking these days!!Hope it keeps up! ( still having a few Jittery moments, but they are WAY less worse than before...)

• Posted

Isn't Fluoxetine merely a GP's "go to" drug for anxiety and depression? There are millions of people on it, apparently, so my guess is that it is the cheapest option out of them all. We are put on Flu on a trial and error basis so put 'em on the cheapest and see if it does any good, if not, try another one.

I'm very pleased to be able to say that my mood has improved tremendously in the third week and again going into the fourth. There are so many factors in play (pain relief being prime) so it is hard to say the improvement is down to Flu except I am taking it and I am improving. If this is the end of the 'side effects', I shall be well pleased. Two consecutive nights of good sleep - amazing!!

• Posted

Is fluoxetine Prozac?

Yes I think this is the common drug doctors first try on new patients before swapping to another.  Citralopram is the third type for me, (and was told the one that gives you less side effects hahahahaha) ....... I don't think so!

• Posted

Hi Kate - yes Fluoxetine is Prozac - 'Prozac' is a U.S. brand name for a version of it. Is citalopram helping you now? 
    • Posted

Ah thought it was.

Yes Citralopram is the one for me :-)  My 20 year old had a melt down in the summer and has been put onto Prozac, and though I can see he's better than he was, he says he feels the same. Am therefore wondering if he should swap to the same as me (different people react to different meds, and as were family I'm wondering if Citralopram would suit him better - it's done me ok). Strangely I was his age when I had my first melt down ..... 

• Posted

Hi everyone.

Day 14 now, and have had a few slight panicky moments, but managed to cope ok. I'm Still having "Tremors" from when I wake up until early evening, when they fade considerably. I am sleeping MUCH better now, but still wake sometimes through the night, and feeling a panic coming on, but I have managed to fall back asleep.( That is probably a "Trigger" reaction, as I have suffered for years with those feelings).

The house iss still a bombsite, what with all the decorating getting done, but I have even managed to Chip in with that too! smile The aforementioned friend is also coming around to help, and is happy to be of service! I am still feeling an improvement in my moods, and I am certainly not as "Wound Up" over trivial things anymore to the extent that I was before starting on Flu.( THE Meerkats ads on TV REALLLY Used to annoy me!! but now I just go "Ho Hum"!). Thanks again everyone for all your comments and advice.

• Posted

Sounds ro me like you are getting there, David! Must be tough trying to stay calm with the house upside down - that would stress me out.

You also seem to be learning to control your anxiety - not getting wound up and avertuig a panic attack to go back to sleep.

All sounds like good, positive news!!

• Posted

Hi David

sp glad to hear your coming through the worst fluoxetine changed my life too i cant begin to tell you how happy and back to my old self again something i could not have even imagined 6 months ago, good luck and keep in touch this site is the best love sharon xx

• Posted

Thank you and others so much for posting your experience.  I am just on day 14 of fluoxetine after trying citalopram for 8 weeks but suffered from exhaustion and tremors. The fluoxetine has given me positive burst of energy on and off but the jitters did get worse (thankfully propanalol seems to have calmed these a lot -maybe that could help with your jitters tho adding more meds may just complicate things). 

I am fairly new to this whole thing but am so glad to read of your improved mood, it has given me hope for improvement  and comfort that im not alone. Hope you continue to improve and you can see that all elusive light st the end of the tunnel. Im looking forward hopefully to feeling my old self again some time in the not so distant future.

Wising you continued improvement :-)

• Posted

Hello all again! day 22 now, and feeling so much calmer in myself, but the "Shakes" have been ridiculous for the past few days. I had a reallly bad "Attack" yesterday, which also co-incided with a GP aoointment. He was very impressed in my change of mood, but, he couldn't really prescribe Propanalol(?) or anything for the Shakiness/Jittery feeling, as, apparently, I had an adverse reaction to it years ago( I have honestly lost track of the different meds I have been on through the years....) and it may affect my breathing ( I also have COPD....Duh!!) He advised me to "Ride it out" as they will soon Pass( A VERY Common side effect of Fluoxetine) and gave me Zopiclone to help with my panic attacks at night.

I actually went to bed last night, and slept like a log...Without the Zopiclone!!!...I think(Know) the fact that I have it "For emergency" is a great benefit to me. I was starting to have doubts that i would never recover at all, But, I cannot express how just being on this site is helping me along!! A HUGE and sincere THANK YOU to everyone who has read/chipped in..It means a lot. I am REALLY starting to feel a lot more positive about the future. Although I am still having the odd panic attack and shakiness, I have realised that I HAVE to go through the S**t to reach the sunnier side!!...Just wish it would be today!! smile Thanks again everybody!!

• Posted

P.S. I was quite Jittery this morning because we had Two sets of workmen calling for various jobs ( House is still a mess....but we're getting there..smile . But, I managed to stay calm and deal with things...a MAJOR improvement to me, as a few weeks ago I was a Jibbering wreck with the mess of the bathroom!! take care everyone, and thanks again.
    • Posted

Yey - your improved mood is great news! When it happens its soooo noticeable. Its  also amazing how much good sleep helps.

Well done riding it out through the stress, sometimes we're stronger than we think no matter how much this illness tries to make us think we're not ( ha take that anxiety! :-) ).

Hope you continue on upwards, sounds like you've turned a corner. Lots of :-)'s and best wishes

Vix

Ps hoping im right behind you heading for that corner!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.