Just started Fluoxetine

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello everyone.

I have suffered on and off (Mainly on) with Very severe Panic attacks and Nervous problems since @1984.

I had no idea that Panic attacks even existed, and my feelings of anxiety increased bit by bit over time. I also suffered with Terrible insomnia ( Iknow realise this was mainly caused by my panics), and began taking time off work over it ( when I was at work ( ACar factory) I received NO HELP at all with my agitated state, so eventually saw a GP ( first of many) about why i was feeling so drained and agitated and Anxious. To cut a long story short, I have never received any proper treatment that Really worked since, and have just panicked my way through life, mainly using Alcohol as a "Crutch", which helped for a few hours in the short term, but the panics and anxiety and insomnia have never really went away. I could feel all those old feelings starting to build up massively over the last few weeks, and, 5 days ago, I made a GP Appointment.

I almost had a complete nervous breakdown in his surgery as I explained my fears, and, to his credit, he listened Carefully. He suggest a course of 20mg Fluoxetine Daily.I am now on day 5, and can already begin to feel a slight change in my moods and attitude. I hope this continues, and can i say I am so glad that I found this website, as, reading through others comments and advice, I feel, will be of Incredible benefit to me Thank You for that.

I finally feel, after so long without adequate treatment, that I have been given something that actually will help...I know it is far too early to say, but even my partner has noticed a change in my behaviour...for the better!!,,,Fingers crossed I have found the help I Needed!!

4 likes, 89 replies

89 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello everyone !!...Day 26.... Still having terrible "Tremors", and the Retching is getting embarrasing ( We still have workmen in the house, and i feel so useless and shaky...) I am, however, SO encouraged by this website, and its contributors to feel I am not alone...I just Cannot wait for these side effects to pass...I went to my GP last thursday for help, but, apparently, I had a bad reaction a while back to the best drug to help ( the name escapes me at the moment...) still trying to be positive, but days like this make it hard...Our dog attacking the postman this morning did NOT Help either!! ( workies left the door open, and she went for the throat....( Nipped his trousers actually...). trying to keep smiling, but...having a bit of a relapse-day today Ho hum, and all that!!,..Thanks to this site, I am realising that this happens, and is pretty "Normal" with being on Flu....Thank You all so much again for your pats on the back!!! it is fantastically appreciated...Cheers always!! Dave XX
  • Posted

PS.... sorry to go on, but I am feeling a LOT better in myself, despite the Side effects...Still managing to sleep ok, and cope....It will end soon ( the side effects)I Hope will fade soon. still early days eh??!!! thanx again everyone
  • Posted

Day 29 now, shakes and retching are at incredible levels,night sweats and panic too. I really hope these side effects will fade soon,as they are very noticable in public. Feel I,m in the eye of the storm, j

UST hope I can stay as positive as I have been. 

• Posted

Hi David

You certainly sound like you are in the eye of a storm! What are you doing to pour oil on the water? to calm your adrenaline pump? What does it take for you to get out of your head, even for a little while? Clean the house? a walk? a movie? TV? Are you being kind and loving toward yourself? All your symptoms are those of excess adrenaline in your body. Don't be afraid of your symptoms but accept them and let them pass - they will, if you don't hold onto them. What calms you?

I so hope thhis phase passes very soon, you have been in the wars a long time now - time for peace to return.

Good luck, buddy - and stay positive. That has to be a real boon!

• Posted

Day 29 now. The shaking tremors and Retching are almost beyond Endurance!!! it/they are making me have Panic attacks again, but I am somehow manging to cope ( I think!!). I just had to force myself to go to the shops ( BAD mistake to take the dog!! ...she wanted to chase after squirrels and birds, and pulled on the lead a Lot....which hurt my already sore shoulder). Still, despite an almost crippling Panic attack They should do a Buy one get one free offer!! smile, I managed to get the shop done!. I am REALLY feeling in the "Eye of the storm" this morning, and can only Hope that things will change for the better soon. I am still managing to hold on to my sense of humour through this, which is at least something...Oh, and one of my mates in the pub, who was/is having a hard time at the moment, surprised me with a thank you card and a gift, for just being there for him...which made me feel worthwhile smile .Just hope the Full "Corner turn" is not too long in coming....thanks again for taking the time to read this...cheers again, Dave XX
  • Posted

Sorry for any confusion with the last few posts......this website said they had. "Failed".... And yet there they are!!  Thanx Carl for the rreply. I am trying to take it easy, but i am just feeling a bit down today .i normally love to hear music, but just cannot  get to into the mood play anything at the moment. Thank you again for your concern , it is very much thank you:-)
  • Posted

Dave, of course you are worthwhile! You have a right to be here and breath the air. One day - hopefully soon - you will know this for yourself. A few short weeks ago I was where you are at and I wanted to kill myself - now, I am happy again, glad to be alive and glad to be talkoing to you. Nothing has changed except what is inside my head. It will change for you, too.

Till then, what can you do to make yourself more comfortable? even for a few minutes? to halt the panic attacks. Have you tried  deep breathing? breathing into a paper bag? accepting the attacks as just adrenaline, letting them wash over you and pass on, waves on the beach?

The 'side effects' are awful, I know, but some relief from your adrenaline can be acheived by acceptance and calming your adrenaline pump, calm it and stop it kicking in so much. 

Your are in my thoughts, Dave. May this phase pass on soon!

• Posted

I am having a MUCH better time handling the Panic attacks Carl, which is a great benefit and "Boost" to me...Day 30 now, still retching and shaking, but NOT as bad as yesterday. I am afraid to say i am having a couple of drinks now and again, as a short term aid to stopping my shakes, andsettling my guts/stomach, But I am On Top of the drinking levels, which will of course stop even further when I no longer have this Nauseous feeling and trembling...please let that be soon!! I am still pretty Up-beat about things in general, which is also a great help...thanks again everyone for listening!! smile
    • Posted

If a drink helps do it- in moderation (hope im not posting to an aa member!). Just a few hours of not feeling crappy can help lots as long as you dont suffer for it after :-) ill swear its the constant nausea that makes me anxious although that could be me in denial (bit of a chicken n egg situation I think, flippin'chickens!!).

As long as your mood stays upbeat its easier to handle the rest of the crap so stay positive, keep a vision of whats round that corner in your mind n keep heading towards it. Hope you get there soon.

All the best

Vix

• Posted

Hi Dave

Some very good news there and some concerns! Given the anonimity of this site, how many is a "couple of drinks" and how often is "now and again"? I ask because as far as I am aware Fluoxetine is one of those " do not consume alcohol whilst taking " drugs. I wonder if thhe alcohol is undoing or prolonging the side effect stage. Could the shakes be alcohol withdrawal as alcohol settles them down? I used to be a drugs and alcohol adviser is where I am coming from. Entirely your choice, of course, but you can get meds to help you come off alcohol without shaking and vomiting. A chat with your GP in order?

Stay unbeat, man! You can get through this and back to proper living again - and may that be soon.

• Posted

Hello again Carl. The shakes are definitely not caused by alcohol wthdrawal, they are a common side effect of Fluox, and my Gp has Advised me NOT  to stop suddenly, as I have drunk a lot as part of my own " self medication" for years.  I am aware that fluox does not mix well with drink, but I do find it relaxes me in the very short term and i find that very helpful.i am feeling so much Calmer Than  i did this morning, even though there are screaming babies running around the pub!! which again you see everything me so much a few weeks ago. Thank you again for your kind thoughts.cheers and best wishes dave.
    • Posted

Flipping new phone!! Sorry for making much sense recently! Kids running around wildly in pubs has always caused me.stress.....coping OK  tho, and even managing a smile at the little blighters lately.!! smile 
    • Posted

∆ Not....sorry again!!
    • Posted

I was only asking the questions, Dave. A sudden stop is definitely not adviseable! It takes a week. I helped a guy dry out from two litres of vodka per day - once every few months. Took a week under supervision and he was legless by the time he got home. Lovely guy when he was sober, dapper chap.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.