Just started Fluoxetine

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello everyone.

I have suffered on and off (Mainly on) with Very severe Panic attacks and Nervous problems since @1984.

I had no idea that Panic attacks even existed, and my feelings of anxiety increased bit by bit over time. I also suffered with Terrible insomnia ( Iknow realise this was mainly caused by my panics), and began taking time off work over it ( when I was at work ( ACar factory) I received NO HELP at all with my agitated state, so eventually saw a GP ( first of many) about why i was feeling so drained and agitated and Anxious. To cut a long story short, I have never received any proper treatment that Really worked since, and have just panicked my way through life, mainly using Alcohol as a "Crutch", which helped for a few hours in the short term, but the panics and anxiety and insomnia have never really went away. I could feel all those old feelings starting to build up massively over the last few weeks, and, 5 days ago, I made a GP Appointment.

I almost had a complete nervous breakdown in his surgery as I explained my fears, and, to his credit, he listened Carefully. He suggest a course of 20mg Fluoxetine Daily.I am now on day 5, and can already begin to feel a slight change in my moods and attitude. I hope this continues, and can i say I am so glad that I found this website, as, reading through others comments and advice, I feel, will be of Incredible benefit to me Thank You for that.

I finally feel, after so long without adequate treatment, that I have been given something that actually will help...I know it is far too early to say, but even my partner has noticed a change in my behaviour...for the better!!,,,Fingers crossed I have found the help I Needed!!

4 likes, 89 replies

89 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Well having taken this medication for 15 years, I've never altered my little partake in the occasional glass of wine with dinner, a beer in the pub when we visit, glass of sherry at Xmas etc - all the usual things everyone else does.  Never had any effect from the medication.

Yes it does say not to take SSRI's with alcohol, and I think yes be aware of this and be careful.  But for me, 15 years without a glass of wine?  Noooooooooo :-)

• Posted

It took time to get used to it, but I stopped consuming alcohol seventeen and a bit years ago - eighteen next April Fool's Day. Best decision I ever made - after giving up smoking a few years earlier. All the cash thus saved financed my globe trotting as an opera tourist. Now, I get fleetingly drunk on a sip of wine, instantly. Wheeeee! and it's over. I think I'd fall over on a glass of it!

If I ruled the world, I'd ban alcohol and legalise the use of some currently illegal substances. I prefer a mellow fellow to a drunken one any day.

In the meantime, it Flu for me!

• Posted

Wow that's amazing Carl :-)  I have a few friends who don't drink (they don't drive either .... how annoying is that haha)! 

My children don't drink either.  It's often fruit juice or even tap water when we go out for dinner.

I used to smoke very occasionally too, but stopped about 24 years ago.  That was the best decision made.  Nobody in our family smokes.  I'm totally against illegal substances mind ...... wouldn't even know what they looked like :-)

I admire you for being teetotal.  But mellow fellow?  Aw go on then, haha.

K xx

• Posted

Hello everyone again.day 36 now,and i am feeling absolutely disgusting. Shakes and Jitteriness are driving me crazy. Terrible nausea as well. If anybody has any tips to help Me get through thisi would really appreciate them. Thank you.
  • Posted

Day 36 now, and I feel absolutely horrible...terrible shakiness and severe Nausea/retching. I am finding it hard to eat anything, and feel so weak..I think this the worst i have EVER felt....I just hope and pray that this will fade soon....Has anybody got any tips on "over the counter" medicines that may be helpful?? thanks very much in advance!!!
    • Posted

Hi david

Poor you, sounds like you're really suffering badly, so sorry for you :-( Is the dr aware of just how bad you've been?  Can he /she not offer any help?

If youre struggling to eat can you manage complan or similar? Do you take any good vitamins? I know that sounds a bit limp but they may just help you to not feel so weak and give you some of the nutrition youre missing. The ginger ale sometimes helps with my nausea or nibbling ginger biscuits.

Also can you get somewhere for a massage? I understand it has really positive effect on production of seratonin and greatly helps reduce some side effects of ad's. I read about a study which showed a massive improvement in symptoms and quicker recovery in patients who had twice weekly massage. Might all be a load of rubbish but if you're  like me anything is worth a try at this stage.

Hoping you're feeling some improvement soon. 

Sending hugs

Vix

• Posted

apologies for the "Double" post!!...I tried using my mobile phone to post, and didnt realise it had actually worked!! ( on Home PC now)..thanks again smile

• Posted

Hi David

Sorry to hear you're suffering.  Quite lousy to feel like that isn't it.  Something that might help the nausea is to drink Ginger Ale.  Recently on a cruise in really rough sea and 50% being ill, people were advised to drink it and within about 15 mins my nausea settled.

Sometimes the side effects can pop up out of the blue again.

Another thing is to check you're not suffering from something different ie ear problems.  Long shot, but worth checking.

K xx

• Posted

Hi Dave As we know, it takes Fluox six to eight weeks to get into your system and work so you are well under that range, however, you are still suffering far worse effects than I'd expect. Thirty-six days is more than enough to have reduced safely your alcohol intake to zero and give the Fluox the best chance of working. Do you think it is worth giving it a try alcohol free?
  • Posted

Hi again Peeps!!! day 39 now, and STILL feeling really crappy. The Shaking was absolu5tely horrible this morning, but the retching seems to be abating slightly. not too shaky ATM, so I thought I'd try typing at home on the PC.

I am sorry for not responding sooner, but I have not been in the mood to do anything at all lately. I am going to try and see my GP asap, as these side effects are REALLY getting me down. I have tried the Ginger ale, and it helps quite a bit, but the ginger ale in itself is quite "Sickly" to taste!! ( sweet and yummy...but also yucky!!). I feel Carl (?? sorry, I cannot read back on posts when typing..)That i could not possibly manage this shakiness without a drink or two, as it really calms me down a lot, and tends to Kick-start what little appetite i have...I know I am probably wrongly self-medicating, but a couple of pints a day is helping (In the short term at least). Thank you again for all of your kindness and concern. it is a great comfort to me at this awful time. XX Dave

• Posted

Hi David

I'm really sorry you are still suffering so badly - and I'm really surprised you it is still so bad on Day 39. I don't mean to bang on about alcohol, it's just the one thing I know about you that is contra-indicated.

A visit with your GP is most definitely a good idea - see if he has something to improve your lot - and give you the waggy finger about drinking! My surgery has 'Medical Emergency' appointments for the same day - and you certainly would qualify.

Here's hoping s/he can sort you out asap and these sade effects stop.

• Posted

Hi david

Apart from the "shaky" start it does sound like youre improving at least a bit but the side effects do wear you down more the longer they go on.  Glad youre going back to gp, maybe if you cant take the propanolol to help the shakes they can offer you an alternative (tho my memory shocking at mo so forgive me if already been thru this!). 

Ginger tea also works and has another effect of making you feel really warm so handy on a chilly day. Not as nice to drink but not sickly either.

Good luck tomoz, hope gp can help and you start getting better days :-)

Take care

Vix

• Posted

Hi David

Oh gosh you are going through the wringer aren't you - the side effects do seem to be dragging out for you.  Glad you tried the ginger ale - maybe different brands have different sugar quantities so won't be so sickly?  

Maybe it's the alcohol that's giving you the shakes ....... I know it calms you down, but it might be having an alternative effect on you too.  If you're having a couple of pints, can you reduce it very slightly each day until until none?

I feel for you ...... let's hope things settle soon.

K xx

• Posted

Hi again everyone!!!....it is now 5.30 PM on sunday, and my shakiness has almost left. I Have been for a drink ( Or two, well, maybe three)today with my partner, and, despite the screeching children in the pub, I have managed to hold it together pretty well.

I have even ordered some dinner for us, and am looking forward to eating it!!... and maybe a "Feel good" Film is optional ( MUCH better than Emmeredale!!)> i am feeling a LOT more able to cope at the moment....we shall see what Tomorrow brings...I do not at the moment feel as if I need to see my GP, as I am a lot calmer than earlier this morning. Thanks again. It really helps to know that I am not alone with this. Cheers smile

• Posted

Hey, sounds like things are beginning to calm and a bit of positiveness is creeping in :-)  Remember there's ups and downs along the way, but you are on an upward trend.

Yay!

K xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.