Just started FWBAT after ankle surgery but unable to BW on from of foot??

Posted , 7 users are following.

I starting FWBAT 3 three weeks ago after 10 weeks NWB fibula ORIF surgery on 3/15.   Can only bear weight on my heel.  Not on front of foot or tip toes no matter how hard I try.  Pain causes me to walk on heel, but with pretty bad limp.  Can only stand on bad foot for a few seconds before pain causes my good foot to drop or grab the counter to catch my balance. Pain more on top of foot vs bottom.   Keep going back to one crutch to support bad foot as I too am feeling too much pressure on heel holding all my weight.  Surgery was on angkle, not foot, so I don't understand why all this pain/weakness with the front of foot and toes???  Have a follow up Friday and gonna see if doc thinks a bone scan or CT of foot is appropriate as this doesn't make sense.  Keep thinking maybe they missed a stress fracture in foot. Anyone out there have this problem when started to weight bear after ankle sugery???  And if so, did it get better.  Do you think maybe I have foot break or stress fracture?      

0 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Slowly does it. See a Physio as well asap. I am 9 months post break and 4.5 months post bone graft and plate and screws. C'mon go easy on yourself. I'm not fully weight baring for a more than a few seconds my self.

R.I.C.E. massage area and whole foot. Swelling and colour change normal sorry. I had pain on top of foot for awhile after cast off. Boot might help. Surprised you're trying no crutches. Or even 1. I've got a Walker- all terrain with large wheels and seat. Taken lots of patience . Bones and muscles need building up. Send me private message if you want more.

Good luck with Dr.

@(*+")@

• Posted

Will go more easy on self.  Have plate & screws too.  Should have phsio this week, took them a week and a half from the date of my evaluation, but got message yesterday they finally got approval from my insurance, %^$#!!  So frustrating but should start this week.  Hoping this helps.  Also, did get professional massage yesterday cause of muscle cramping in entire leg and it seemed to calm them down.  Going back next week for sure. And bought bigger size shoes for comfort, if there is such a thing!! Been alternating with boot, but hope bigger shoes will help keep me in them longer. Need to stop comparing to others who are up and about in 8 - 10 weeks.  I'm 56, so have to accept longer recovery I guess.  Thanks Tituscanby!!    
    • Posted

Snap HAHa! I'm almost 56. I put moonboot on today . first time in 6 weeks at least..need stability. I wear shoes with prescription orthotics. Have to peel my foot out of shoe. Gets so tight with swelling. I didn't buy bigger shoe. Just new shoes . Wider shoe might help you n ew balance have wide shoes.

©{°π°}®

• Posted

After searching all weekend on internet, that's exactly what I got.  Great reviews.  They happened to have a store 1/2 mile away.  Had to get 1.5 size bigger and they are defintely wider in front to accomodate swelling. Rounded front instead of pointed.  I find out tomorrow if works.  I use boot with walker (wheels & seat) as well when feel exhaused & need stability when doing my 200 steps.  So many things, overwhelming for sure.         
    • Posted

Cool. I'm a bit out of touch. My child is being bullied continuously. Its making me extremely annoyed.

@(*%*)@

• Posted

the pain in the heel, and achilles, and being able to stand on good foot for a few seconds is totally normal. im saying this from experience, and i had the same problems with balance, and getting super tired, etc. the reason for the pain the feel of you getting electrocuted is perfectly normal as you had atrophy set in, and will get stronger each day. im just able to walk on my foot in the house and up and down the stairs with my cane. i do get swellin in my foot, and some pain in the incision area, but im not concerned with it. my dr is very happy with all of the progress i have made.  

let us know what your dr says

• Posted

Reassuring as have all of the above.  Scary feelings.  I had bad atrophy, especially in calf.  Will report back after doc appt on Friday.  Thanks much!!
  • Posted

Hi. I also had orif surgery in March and also fwb now. I had terrible pain and swelling in the top of my foot for a while. I used to massage my foot before I started walking. Have you been for physiotherapy, and are you doing stretching exercises, this all helps. If you going to the Doctor as him about it . If th pain is bad use the crutches, on a day it all comes together. Be positive.
    • Posted

Been doing stretching & ROM since 6 weeks PO.  ROM good.  Went for physio eval. a week and half ago.  Finally got message yesterday they got approval from insurance.  Why so long,it is what it is.  So will be starting this week, hoping that helps wilth all other issues.  Start positive every morning, then so bummed at night. Gotta get outta my house (and head) and around people more. If he clears me on Friday that all is healing well, I'm def. heading out with boot, crutch, walker, what ever it takes to go see friends/family.  Being alone gets me down and thinking crazy thoughts.  I appreciate your reply & encouragement.   
    • Posted

I got stuck in house for 3 months at one stage. I went nuts. Don't reccomend at all. Live in middle floor or 3_storied house.

Great your insurance through. Here we have ACC. Accident compensation. They sure #£%@* you around. My husband recovering from a broken scaphoid, done over 8 months ago. We both had surgery and had to stay in hospital cause we couldn't look after each other!

Were not even 1 person between us still.

Keep on keeping on!

©{°$°}©

• Posted

On 2nd floor here.  Know the 'going nuts' feeling. Wow!!  You've been through a lot, on such a long road.  Hope things getting better for you and your husband real soon!! 
    • Posted

More ups than downs. Just have to keep bashing head against a brick wall to get people in The insurance or ACC to listen. My goodness they're not Drs. Office workers.

They do my head in more than anyone else. Make you beg.

Oh well, its fantastic we have this site! Yey!

@(*+*)#

• Posted

Hi,

I had the same problem. I was nwb for 3.5 months and then in a boot for another 2. I've been out of the boot for a month and a half and still experience pain in the front of my foot. At first it was as you described - unbearable to stand on. It does ease up the more you use your foot. I found that massaging it nightly helped- although at first it hurt to touch. My physiotherapist tells me that it is largely because when you don't use your foot for that long all the little bones throughout your foot stiffen up and don't want to work, combined with swelling as well as sometimes as a result of surgery tendons may have shifted position. Hang in there!!

• Posted

Thanks for your story.  Gives hope on the easing up.  Hard since I've been calling my own shots (with doc approval) as there was a delay in getting in to physio.  Find myself constantly wondering if I'm doing something wrong.  Start this week with phsio and that should help with more direction, confidence. This site has beeb so consoling, has helped tremendousley.      
  • Posted

Hi

Have you got any type of shoes on when you try to walk or are you barefoot?

I was told to FWB barefoot but find it better wearing flat shoes or in my case velcro fastening sandals. I am using a walker at moment until the muscles in my leg gets stronger. The walking makes my ankle swell a bit but ice packs & elevated rest takes it back down.

Good luck with your recovery what seems hard today may be easier for you to do next week. Just take it steady & you will get there. Patience is the lesson with a broken ankle unfortunately.

• Posted

Bought new shoes yesterday.  1.5 size bigger to accomodate swelling.  Hoping this helps.  Barefoot difficult indeed.  Stubbed toe the other day, big time OUCH, cried like a baby, so silly!!  Still doing RICE daily.  Taking 'Patience is a virtue' to a whole different level.  So true on recovery from week to week.  I need to celebrate little achievements (no matter how small they seem) during this long haul that seems like forever.  Thanks and best to you as well!
    • Posted

So far so good today. Still swelled, but was able to wear most of day.  Soooo much better then the old shoes I was trying to wear.  Good call.   

And, SMH, Doc's office called to cancel Friday's appoint & reschedule.   I screamed .. (bang head on wall as you put it) .. 'YOU CAN'T DO THIS TO ME .. I have so many questions and concerns.' So they're letting me come as scheduled to meet with PA.  Said he can do xray & evaluate results.  If unable to address all concerns will get with doc next week and have nurse call me with answers.  We shall see how it goes.  Doc is one of those 'in and out in 5' types, so maybe this will be better.  Hope so.

Another day, another challenge.  Next ....  1st real physio appt tomorrow.  Exhausted just thinking about getting there but anxious to start!!   

• Posted

Hmmm, my post dissapeared??  Can't remember all I said, basically was that is the brand I got and I was happy with them today.  Good call on them for definitely have wider widths.   
    • Posted

I have deleted the "coded" post as well as brand names. Do not try to get around moderation like this. As you said if you want to exchange specific brands etc use the Private Message service.

Regards,

Alan

• Posted

Sure thing. Like everyone else on here. No harm ment. Innocent actions. A simple note would suffice to all. Were all trying to help each other genuinely. Sorry. Private message great thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.