Just started FWBAT after ankle surgery but unable to BW on from of foot??

Posted , 7 users are following.

I starting FWBAT 3 three weeks ago after 10 weeks NWB fibula ORIF surgery on 3/15.   Can only bear weight on my heel.  Not on front of foot or tip toes no matter how hard I try.  Pain causes me to walk on heel, but with pretty bad limp.  Can only stand on bad foot for a few seconds before pain causes my good foot to drop or grab the counter to catch my balance. Pain more on top of foot vs bottom.   Keep going back to one crutch to support bad foot as I too am feeling too much pressure on heel holding all my weight.  Surgery was on angkle, not foot, so I don't understand why all this pain/weakness with the front of foot and toes???  Have a follow up Friday and gonna see if doc thinks a bone scan or CT of foot is appropriate as this doesn't make sense.  Keep thinking maybe they missed a stress fracture in foot. Anyone out there have this problem when started to weight bear after ankle sugery???  And if so, did it get better.  Do you think maybe I have foot break or stress fracture?      

0 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Angela, I was about to post something very similar! So, thanks. I'm about the same stage as you, and can walk without crutches but only with a bad limp. This is due to not being able to put all my weight on the front of my foot. It hurts on the top of my foot and sometimes front of my ankle. My physio asked if it was because I'm just too nervous, but it's really not! My foot and lower leg is still swollen and tight and range of movement not great. While I'm sorry you seem to have the same pain, I'm kinda glad it means maybe it's normal and will slowly improve!
    • Posted

Hi , Pysio is really important to get your ROM back. also massage on the scar tissue. But be patient and you will see suddenly it all comes together.
    • Posted

Thanks Daphne, I have a half-hour physio session 3 times a week, but probably should do more exercises at home. Most of the physio is just massage and manipulation and I sometimes wonder how much good it does (as opposed to just the slow improvement that time affords). Only occassionally the physio gets me doing exercises like the balance board, squats and alternate tip-toes (ouch!).
    • Posted

There is so much you can do on your own at home every day. When you go to the physiotherapists again ask them to give you exercises to do at home. I have only been to physio 3 times and it is more for evaluation. I was given a sheet of paper with different exercises on to do every day and it really is nessasary to do them in order to regain your full ROM back. Also be careful how you walk without crutches , my knee started getting sore and the physiotherapists showed me that I was walking wrong and putting a lot of pressure on the knee. Took a few days of concentrating on how I walk and a few strengthening exercises and now I am doing well. Good luck with your recovery.
    • Posted

Exactly Helen, same thing.  Front part of ankle expected but top of foot a surprise.  After reading these encouraging posts, I think back to two weeks ago when I couldn't stand on bad foot AT ALL without entire leg shaking and collapsing, freaked me right out.  Not nervous, leg was just too weak beyond control.  Now a few seconds (maybe 5) is better then none and not so much shaking or knee pain.  So I'm gonna consider that improvement, sometimes don't realize improvement it's soooooo slow each day.  Probably should keep a log of little milestone accomplishments but not good at that kinda stuff.  Some for now I'm gonna to take everyone's advice and accept it's normal, think/hope my doc will confirm the same on Friday!!   
    • Posted

Yes, SO slow. Would be interested to hear your doc's feedback. My surgery was end of March, rod and 7 screws, with one long screw removed 6 weeks later. So, I think we have similar injuries and timeline.
    • Posted

Good grief, can relate to the knee issue.  Walking on heel stresses the knee I suppose, and seems to be crux of my limp prob.  Gonna ask for advice on my first 'real' phsio appt. this week.  May need to back off FWB till foot/leg strenghens and can walk properly without crutches, cause I know I'm not.  And Lord knows we don't need to add a bad knee problem to our list.  Thanks for sharing!!
    • Posted

Very similar, you can see my story if you click on my screen name 'angeladvocate.'  First surgery 3/15, plate 10 screws plus long synde screw.  2nd 5/16 to take out synde screw,  Doc wouldn't let even PWB till syde screw out, hence the delay of 10 wks to the 'get up and go' mark.  I will def. keep you posed on doc's feedback. 
    • Posted

Update to all.

-Taking it slower.  Instead of 3 X daily self home-sessions of walking 200 steps each plus exercises, went to 2 X. RICE after each session. 

-Bigger shoes helped tremendous, haven't went back to boot for a whole week now.

-I can drive now with new shoes.  Not relying on others feels great!!

-Started PT, had 2 sessions so far, hurt but in a good way.  They showed me things I was doing wrong.  They got me in the water.  He is helping with my knee, hip & calf pain as well. Stretch, stretch & more stretch, but his guidance helps me do it correctly a lowers my fear level when feel pain.  Says limp & foot pain due to several things; ligaments, tendons, foot muscles still coming back to life, uneven boot, atrophy/weak calf muscles, knee/hip work harder to accommodate, it's the body's natural response. Going 2X a week for 5 more weeks. They are going to give me home therapy instruc. next visit. Very happy so far, does seem like a absolute must. Hate that I had delay due to ins., but here now and moving forward.  

-Using one crutch more, know that seems like a back step but helping me with heel to toe motions better, slowly trying to BW on front.  Without, still can't help putting all weight on heal.  Teaching myself how to walk again, breath, OK, on step at a time. No tip toes yet, but much calmer knowing too soon for me and it will come in time.   

-Dr. visit, they did extra plain xray on foot due to my complaints.  All xray perfect on bones, no issues.  Says top of foot pain/inability to BW on front/stand on tip toes not from add'l broken bones, normal at my stage.  Due to swelling caused by ligaments/tendons healing that come from below ankle across top of foot to toes (syde screw placement & removal causes extra sensitivity with ligaments/tendons/muscles,etc.). Saw pic of ligaments, gosh there's sooo many (tried to post pic but won't allow - search 'pics of ankle and ligaments' and you will see).  Also confirmed atrophy in calf contributing to limp, knee/hip/other leg & back pains. Says PT is key to help with all this. Next visit 4 weeks, said I should see considerable improvement by then. We shall see, hopeful!!

-Booked full body massage each Monday on-going to help with other body aches/muscle spasms since start of WB.  Was a bit scared last Monday but awesome massage therapist and felt great afterwards.  Didn't let her touch incision site.  Thought hardware would scare her (and me) but afterwards she said it would not and if I'm willing, she will work on scare tissue issue this week. Gulp, I'm gonna try.  

-Went to store last night, me, myself & one crutch.  Got stuck in pouring rain on way home, thought I was gonna have heart attack.  But made it home and even walked from car, up stairs and in to house in rain with no issues (other then my racing heart, ha).

-So pretty productive week!!  Full time job, whew!! Yes, feeling better and calmer.  Just keep repeating in my head 'slow and steady wins the race.'

Thanks to everyone for the oh so valuable suggestions, motivation and ease on my mind with similar stories !! Good wishes to all !!    

• Posted

Hi , what wonderful news. I am so pleased that you are doing sooo much better now. You will see how quickly you will improve now. When you go for massage again let them massage the scar tissue, it plays an important part in getting your full ROM back. I go to the surgeon on Wednesday, and hopefully this will be my last check up. I have no pain anymore and walking unaided with hardly any limp, even if it is a bit slow. I will keep on with my exercises and massage until I know I have my full ROM back. Good luck with your full recovery and keep us posted.
    • Posted

Fantastic news you are both doing so well!

Isn't it wonderful to be coming out on the other side? Woo hoo!!!!!!🌈 😁

• Posted

Thanks Ali. Yesterday was 4 months ago that I broke my ankle, seems like years, but now I am nearly there. As you know it is a long road with tons of emotional and physical pain, but I think we come out stronger because of it. How are you doing? I hope well. I sometimes wish we could all meet up and see the person we have been chatting to on this site. Would be great wouldn't it.
    • Posted

hi Angela, glad you're progressing and feeling better after consultations. These past few days, I'm able more and more to walk properly. still favouring my heel and outside of foot, and standing on tiptoes still gives me shooting pains, but I'm limping less every day. I really think time is the best healer, as much as physio helps.

​All the best!

• Posted

Great news Helen. You & me both getting through this now, thank goodness. X
    • Posted

Oh Helen, great to hear from you.  Same with me on the favoring heel & tip toes, slight progress, but any progress good.  I've accepted I won't be standing on tip toes any time soon.  I'm not a ballet dancer after all, lol.  So pushing that worry out of my head right now.  Your so right on the time thing. Not rushing things anymore, not comparing time frames to others.  Each of us, although similiar surgeries, have unique situations and must bear that in mind.  So my focus is on the big picture progress ... my bones are healed, I can walk unassisted even if short distances, my limp has decreased since out of boot.  These are the major accomplishments I choose to focus on now.  We must stay positive in order continue the hard work to move forward as we face new challenges each day.  Can't stop mid stream.  It's a long haul, in time this too shall pass, the time that's right for us.  

BTW, I did let my massage therapist do my ankle and foot yestereday.  I cringed thru the whole thing but was very pleased I got thru it.  Sore & swelling soon after, but that was exactly what she told me to expect, saying I would have to ice soon after and I sure did.

My best to you as well with hopes to keep in touch. :-)              

• Posted

Thanks Daphne, I did let my massage therapist do my scar tissue/incision site based on your post, as well as entire ankle and foot yestereday.  I cringed but was very pleased I got thru it knowing it will help with ROM.  Back next Monday for more, PT today & Thursday.  

So glad to hear of your status.  Very encouraging.  Good luck Wednesday. Keep us posted as well.  :-)

• Posted

Ekk, just had a thought, some things time can't cure, like the arthritis in my hip and lower back.  So we accept, adjust, compromise ... and life goes on.  In those cases maybe more like 'In time this too shall pass' once we accept what we can not change.  The good ole serenity prayer. "God grant us the serenity to accept the things we cannot change, the courage to change the things we can, and the wisdom to know the difference."   Hope that comes across as intended, a positive vibe.  XOXO.

• Posted

Happy then massage helped. I know it is not pleasant in the beginning, but it does get better. Once you see how the physiotherapists massage the scar tissue, get yourself something like bio oil and massage it yourself every day, every bit helps. I read some of your other posts on this site and I am happy you are improving, and even if it goes slow, every day is a day closer to recovery. Listen to your body and do what you can and yes we all recover differently, just remain positive, I am definitely convinced being positive plays a big role in how you heal and also tons of prayer. Will let you know what the surgeon said about me tomorrow.
    • Posted

Hi there. I can't stand my foot post op being touched. Physio told me it was important to reconnect the body's sensors. I still wasn't having a bar of it. He even commented several times on how he could feel the plate and screws. I didn't and still don't want to know. Intact in made me sick.

Well he's learnt the art of distraction very well. I have become very accomplished at the Ukelele post break, and he used to ask me if I knew any knew tunes to distract me.

Now when I see what he's doing I don't look and pick up uke. The massage does make a difference. He gets me to look away and tell him what area he is touching on my foot. I can do a light one myself, bug including the scar, 2-3 times a day. I have no intention of feeling the hardware.

I send the hardware love and thank it for supporting my leg and body.

• Posted

LOL Titusanby, you always crack me up.  The visual of you with the Uke in the middle of a physio session is a hoot.  My distraction is to close my eyes and think of the beach.  How in the world I'm gonna get through the sand to the water is beyond me right now, but the thoughts are calming. 

Sending your hardware love and thanks .... priceless!!

• Posted

Let's face it our bodies didn't come with these ' accessories'. Not costume jewellery either. Can't take off or out at leisure, to match outfits. Hahaha

©{•¥`}®

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.