Just started Selincro/Nalmefene today

Posted , 23 users are following.

I finally discussed my problem with my G.P. today about alcohol and how dependant I am when it comes to alcohol. I've reach rock bottom these past few weeks and cannot continue like this. I took Selincro today for the first time, within two hours I felt dizzy and a bit strange. Then I burst out crying. Very odd! Is this normal? It's only day one so I will see how tomorrow goes. I am based in Ireland by the way. Found this forum and found the information extremely helpful. Don't know what I would have done without it!

3 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Joanna, may come to the thread to help. She is the Selincro expert.

In the mean time, from what I have read, it does have a few side effects for the first week or so. You should always eat when your first start taking the pill and drink some water whilst you are waiting for the two hours to be up, so you can drink.

I used a different medication, but someone will come along that has used Selincro and advise you. Just keep watching for messages and keep posting.

• Edited

Hi Janie what a brilliant decision to take the Selincro. Welcome to the wonderful journey to beat this alcohol monster ! I began my selincro journey almost 4 months ago and I now drink virtually nothing .

To follow TSM you need to be mindful and compliant .Before taking the tablet ensure you eat a good meal , take the medication and wait 2hrs before you have a drink.In the meantime drink plenty of water and i would recommrnd keeping yourself busy . .When you do have your first drink take it slowly taking a sip and thinking about how it feels and tastes .No necking drinks ! Drink slowly and mindfully .After your first drink if you feel satisfied thats fine if not have another and thats fine too.Drink plenty of water with these drinks and maybe change routine like not keeping the bottle beside you .

You may have odd side effects at first so it is recommended that you take the tablet daily for about 8 days and these side effects will gradually minimise as the days go by.Try and persevere as they do get better ! After the 8 days you can just take the meds on the days you are at risk of drinking , always waiting 2 hrs after taking the pill and drinking mindfully .

This process does work I was a weekend binge drinker and once I started drinking I couldnt stop. I just didn't have that 'off switch ' I thought there was no hope for me, abstinence had failed but finding the nalmefene and the support of this forum has made life so different for me.

Go on the C 3 Europe website and read about TSM.Also google One Little Pill ..I am sure Joanna from C3 will be along at some point to help you .She is brilliant and you can read about her journey on C3Europe

I wish you all the luck in the world with this Janie

Keep coming back on here and let us all know how you are doing hunny , you have our love and support x

• Posted

Thank you so much for your kindness. I feel it's the first right step I've taken in a long time. Mothers Day was a turning point, I had a few bad episodes over the past year but this was another one in a long line of bad incidents. I was at the point where I was drinking not only a bottle of wine a night, but almost 2 bottles. I drank a bottle and a half -two bottles of wine Saturday night, then Sunday was late to meet a dear friend in town for Mothers Day. I was exhausted, no time to wash my hair, met her had one drink as I was driving, then came back home and had almost two more bottles of wine at home. Then I vomited all over the  kitchen tablecloth, cleaned it up and went to bed. Next day felt disgusted with myself, and now here I am. I can't keep living like that. It's not living. It's hell.

• Posted

Hi Jamie

Those few lines you have written 're mothers day are very familiar , you are not alone.My drinking began after a long time abstinent , a bottle of wine at first which led to two plus other drinks thrown in sometimes and often secretly .I too felt so disgusted with myself but it's changed now so much with the medication.

At least it is in our power to change things with the help of this one little pill

How are you finding the Selincro , have you taken it today ? x

• Posted

Sorry Janie . I just saw my typo in above post
    • Posted

Keep trying the pill Janie and keep posting....it helps you and others to see the success with this method.

I don't know why I won't try it...but that's me...I have seen alot of success stories here and I hope for your sake you are another one!

• Edited

It's worth a go Missy ...It does work.Its not a magic pill but if we work with it , it works with us x

• Posted

Yes took Selincro this evening for the second time. Admitted to a friend I spoke to my doctor about my drinking, she was great. Said she suspected for a while. Normally I'd have drank three quarters of a bottle of wine by this point in the evening... am very much sober, have had one glass.

• Posted

Thats really good you have spoken to a friend Janie , so you told her something that she already suspected ! Thats so often the case and we so often think we are hiding it well ! It sounds very much like your friend will be supportive which is brilliant

Well done with the Selincro , sounds very much like it is working for you.I found an immediate difference too when I first started it.. Just remember the importance if compliance and mindfulness .I think you will be more than happy you started this medication...Am soon pleased hun x

• Posted

Thank you so much for your kind words. You have no idea how badly needed they are. I'm afraid I don't have a big support network, not much family, as have had to cut off contact.  This forum is very informative and am so glad I stumbled across it. My own mum is a bad alcoholic,(as if there is such a thing as a good alcoholic)  and I honestly believed and swore it would never happen to me. I have a child who is of the age where they are noticing and commenting on my drinking, which makes me think, well girl you have a choice.... it's drink or your child....so far I've tried to balance both, but drink has been winning lately.

• Posted

Hi Jamie

I agree this forum is brilliant and so many supportive and knowledgeable people..Like you I stumbled across it when I was about to start the nalmefene I was really worried about taking it as had read a lot about side effects ..There was loads of support here so I was very reassured .I didn't suffer too badly with sode effects altho I must say my mild ones were a bit unpleasant. I was more amazed on the effect the meds had on my drinking lol

There is quite a lot of AUD in my family and we have had a sad loss but still I drank! When your kids start to notice it's a bit gut wrenching to say the least isnt it but the good thing is you have done something about it girl and thats brilliant 😊.I am not religous but in my head I used to pray there could be a 'cure' and now we do have a solution ...

Hope you are feeling ok today ..are you having any side effects ? x

• Posted

Oh sorry predictive text wants to write you name wrong ..I must Che.its Janie next time lol
    • Posted

Thats the problem Nat..I know I won't work with it..because I took a similar drug to quit smoking "Chantix" and because the chantix was making my cigs taste yuk...and I never felt "satisfied" smoking...I chucked the Chantix.

The pill for drinking...I would do the same thing...I know "how it works" and it works similar to the no smoking pill...makes you not catch the same buzz and have the drive to continue drinking...I'm afraid I would chuck the pill and end up in one of my states again....

• Posted

Hi Janie,

Firstly, thank you to the responses already.  It's so nice to know that when I don't see a post for a little while, there are always others who are really knowledgeable, supportive and willing to help.  Thanks RHGB and Nat!

I am actually away from home at the moment which is why I haven't seen your post until now.  I will be home again early next week.

To answer you specifically, yes this is very normal.  You may have also had some sleep disturbance last night and I need to stretch.

Like with any medications, Selincro has a few side effects BUT the first time is always the worst and they reduce over each of the coming tablets.  In the meantime, eat plenty before taking the tablet, drink lots and lots of water.....  and be assured that this short term discomfort is very well worth the long term goal that this medication provides.

Joanna

• Posted

I know what you mean about life getting so low that in the end you know if you dont change it will just get worse, mentally and physically. My family moved out this week because of my drinking mostly and i feel like ive lost everything. 

The advise the other guys have given you sounds spot on... so just keep a close eye on yourself and if you feel somethings not right see your gp. I know what you mean about the wine, i started with that and then moved on to vodka because it was easier to hide. Take it day by day and dont be too hard on yourself, there is not one person on this forum with a drink problem that has felt ashamed of themselves. It makes you want to do it even more in a away to block it out. Keep coming back on to this site, there is always a lot of good advice and support. If you have any other issues that you feel might be the cause of your drinking then i would say to you to try and get some kind of counciling.

I havent tried the meds your taking but you could also look at kudzu. Its a herbal tablet and some people say that it has worked wonders for them physically. I have just started this today and in fairness even though there is vodka in the kitchen i havent drank it. My physical craving def does feel different. You can buy it online etc. Im in Northern Ireland and my partner has just moved to scotland with my child. We are still talking and if i can beat this i will be moving over there with them. To be honest this has been the hardest week of my life!

Like i say keep coming back here and chatting us as sometimes i find that also distracts me from wanting to do it when you read the things people say. Drink is no good for anyone at the end of the day. Good luck and keep in touch xxxx

• Posted

vry good advice Sharon and Janie can learn from this...Kuzu interesting ..heard of good feedback before but have not used it...Robin
    • Posted

I havent drank since i last posted. Thanks for the advise Robin. Feel exhausted today as i couldnt sleep last night until around 8 this morning! I am pretty sure the kudzu can be used along with other meds as its just a natural herb...although double this Janie.

Tomorrow im going to try and make a fresh start and be a little more like a normal person. Pretty much locked myself away in the house all week and done hardly nothing

How are you Robin?

• Posted

all well here. played in the garden with my twins. trampoline, cut the grass. went swimming yesterday and bult the Santa Maria ship..they had Columbus as a task and had to build the Santa Maria ship (for school)..used a old basket for wine for this SINCE I do not drink anymore..ha ha.tricky to sleep for your sincy our body is not at al used to this soberness.......Best of luck Robin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.