Just started Selincro/Nalmefene today

Posted , 23 users are following.

I finally discussed my problem with my G.P. today about alcohol and how dependant I am when it comes to alcohol. I've reach rock bottom these past few weeks and cannot continue like this. I took Selincro today for the first time, within two hours I felt dizzy and a bit strange. Then I burst out crying. Very odd! Is this normal? It's only day one so I will see how tomorrow goes. I am based in Ireland by the way. Found this forum and found the information extremely helpful. Don't know what I would have done without it!

3 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

i would love to be able to get a private prescription. dont like having to jump through NHS hoops, would use my entire allocation of holidays attending appointments

• Edited

Heather,

There are a number of private providers in the UK now, including those who offer face to face appointments, as well as telephone appointments and even an online prescriber.

Please google C3 Foundation Europe Private Providers and the page should be one of the first shown, and you will find a list of all the options there.

Any problems, PM me.

Good luck.

• Posted

hi can I ask how everyone is doing? I'm new to nalmefene just started last night to try and rid me of the nightly bottle of wine , that has crept up recently to a bottle and half ! was given Campral ....didn't have any affect then told to try antabuse, however just the reviews that a touch of alcohol in vinegar handgel could set a reaction off, frightened the life out of me...! so Needless to say this apparently is my last hope of pill that "may" help these stinking cravings that drive me to the nightly habit ! I feel awful in myself I've gained so much weight look miserable and feel it, all thanks to the nightly poison.

I have been prescribed 18mg nalmafene so started last night took them 2 hours before I was planning a glass of wine, took one with food as I read some reviews . After an hour I felt light headed and my jaw was kinda gurning it had the strangest sensation like when you have an injection at the dentist. Anyway I didn't feel very well after but took the wine to ensure I followed the instructions. After 3 glasses I'd had enough normally I would have had another, threw what was left in the glass and went to bed and awake every other hour with insomnia. feel terrible today really down and out of sorts. obviously early days but is this normal ? does it get better ? . I'm so paranoid that because campral didn't work and I'm terrified of antabuse side effects. I have tried hypnosis , will power quit lit books etc but the cravings get me. thanks in advance x

• Posted

Yes, absolutely normal. In fact, some doctors now recommend beginning with half a tablet for a couple of times to allow for adjusting to the tablet a little easier.

It will pass, and the fact that you didn't feel that 'pull' to continue is an excellent indicator that the science is going to work long-term for you.

Do remember though that this is a fantastic pill, but not a magic pill. Once you have got used to the tablet, then you gain more progress if you work alongside the pill to change the habitual side of your drinking. You only need one drink after the pill for the science to do it's thing. This leaves you free to begin to work towards reducing your drinking, too.

As an example, if I wanted to loose weight I could be prescribed a pill to help me, but if I take the pill, learn to cook healthier meals for the majority of the week and got out to do some exercise, then I will see smoother progress. The pill is just one part of the overall plan.

The same is true of nalmefene. You will get more out of it, the more you work alongside it. Please do not rely on the pill to do everything for you.

Joanna

Sinclair Method UK

• Posted

Thank you for the response and yes completely understand. Also been reading the cure for alcoholism along side.

So last night I had some food had my pill and 2 hours later had a glass of wine - I used to use it as a wind down " me time " at the end of the day and catch up on some netflix or something to zone out from the day. After 1 glass I was bored and desperately craving sweets. So I threw the rest of the bottle and went to bed and read. This is unknown I always would finish that bottle of wine. The only thing I wanted to ask anyone is , again I'm not sleeping I'm up every other hour so I'm desperate for this to go. But I'm also feeling very low since taking the nalmefen actually quite depressed and last night I felt quite sad and just out of sorts again. ... Could this all be part of the side effects and in a way strange to say it felt like some where in my sub conscious I was thinking this is great finally feel like I've found something to work with to kick this habit, but also a wierd sadness just felt horrible and a massive mix of emotions . Is this all normal ? does it pass ? The positives are starting to show but again I feel so out of sorts. thanks again for the support 🙏

• Posted

Yes. Again, all normal and will pass - give it a couple of days and you should notice things improving.

The issues could be part tablet, but also part less alcohol. Either way, don't worry. This short term discomfort is well worth the long term benefits of the treatment.

In the meantime, you could use over the counter Nytol to help you with sleep. That seems to work quite well for the majority of people.

• Posted

Thank you Jo for your response its nice to be able to get feedback as this is all new to me and I think rather new to my doctor who doesn't really have any feedback - just told me to take phenerghan to sleep but I tried them years ago and made me feel dreadful the next day . I'm just waiting for the next few days to pass and hopefully these side effects ( sleep / low mood ) will pass. Tonight I dont want a wine as I didn't like the weird sorrowful feelin I ended up last night so won't take a tablet until the next time I do drink. Thank you again for the prompt update. it really helps when something is soo new and your not sure if it's the right feelings and affects. many thanks x

• Edited

Thank you Jo for your response its nice to be able to get feedback as this is all new to me and I think rather new to my doctor who doesn't really have any feedback - just told me to take phenerghan to sleep but I tried them years ago and made me feel dreadful the next day . I'm just waiting for the next few days to pass and hopefully these side effects ( sleep / low mood ) will pass. Tonight I dont want a wine as I didn't like the weird sorrowful feelin I ended up last night so won't take a tablet until the next time I do drink. Thank you again for the prompt update. it really helps when something is soo new and your not sure if it's the right feelings and affects. many thanks x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.