Just started taking citalopram would love some advice

Posted , 9 users are following.

Iv started citalopram yesterday 20mg but the dr only told me to start with half to start with. I am 22. Never been on any tablets like this before so I am really scared. I constantly feel dizzy like I'm going to die and pass out and sick and feel like someone is standing on my head. Does anyone know when the side effects will go? And are these tablets any good? When you start seeing results? I know the dr told me to only start taking half but I already feel panicky and dizzy. 

0 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Michelle. I have been on these now for 3-4 years for the second time in my lfe. I too started on 10mg, soon increasing to 20mg, then to 30 and now 40mg. When i first started i had to take the first week off work due to feeling very sick, achy and headaches. These side effects only lasted a week or 2 and the second week was much better. Alot of people say they suffer the side effects of these tablets for up to about 2 months. I noticed positive results on my anxiety and depression after about 3-4 weeks, which is what the doctor said he would expect. But every ones different and it can take longer. Without these tablets i am one emotional wreck. Dont be scared at all, theres nothing to be scared about. They really do help, and if you suffer side effects too badly for longer than about 2 months i would see if you can change meds maybe. Now my side effects have nearly settled completely after about 3 years, and i only feel sick every now anad again but only lasts about 30 seconds, so nothing i cant cope with. When i increased my dose to 40mg i experienced more and different side effects, and i also felt quite numb. I wasnt even feeling the happy, positive feelings either anymore. I now find 30mg is perfect for me as i dont grind my teeth in my sleep, or sweat which i do on 40...

My advice would be to stick them out for a couple of weeks and you will see the side effects setltle a bit. And like i say, within a cuople of months if you are still struggling it may be worth asking your doc to try you on something else... Citalopram get absolutely amazing reviews on here regarding anxiety and depression improvement. They are worth it hun. And remember, there is nothing wrong with taking medication, if they help you cope and help you to feel good then who cares... Plently of people are on some type of medication for something, and this med is very very common...xxxx

• Posted

Another bit of advice... I also take St johns wort and cod liver oil which are supplements proven to help with depression and completely natural smile xxx
    • Posted

Don't St Johns Wort with Citalopram though ..... leaflet says so too. They're similar and not to be mixed ;-)  On it's own it great mind!  Cod liver oil is good - I take that (keeps me from aching).

Another good tablet is 5HPT bought over the counter. Again you can't take this if taking an SSRI as it's the same.

• Posted

Ahhh well i never knew that. Thanks for making me awar, will stick to cod liver from now on then smile ... xxx
    • Posted

Lol ..... might have found yourself flying high as a kite cheesygrin K xx
  • Posted

Thank you for the advice all 3 of you😊

It does actually say on the leaflet your right to not take St. John's so I would be careful of that. 

• Posted

I am sorry to hear yo problems, believe me you these tablets really wwwork but they can take 4 to 6 weeks to work after a week make another appointment with yo DR and tell him nothiing has changed he will up yo dose to 20mg if it does not help he will up it again l am on 40 mg all my anxiety has gone l am no longer deppressed l am so happy all the time now , they really work michelle, in the mean time u can start doing some excises it does help sometimes, is they anything that u know that has triggered your depression and anxiety.
  • Posted

Hi, I had to stop after 3 days I was so sick. :-( depends how bad you need them, have to weigh up the pros and cons as can be hard coming off them too, especially as your so young. I went for councelling and have sleeping pill zopiclone instead as my problems were mainly at night... Panic attacks about death and grieving and awfull nightmares about what I been through. Good luck xx
    • Posted

Im reading lots of side effects to these tablets 

The dr did say to me see how you get on in a week? Iv just taken my 2nd pill as wanted to try it at night and I starting to feel panicky and it did calm me down abit. 

I will see how I get on tomorrow. As I'm worried that it will make me worse as I am only 22. 

• Posted

I've taken these for 15 years and they were the best thing ever.  Yes, sure you'll get unpleasant side effects, but after a couple of weeks they start to ease off.  A week isn't long enough to judge this medication - be aware that anxiety will get worse initially, you'll feel sick, heady etc but it doesn't last long and if you keep on you'll come through the other side.

Keep in touch here for support.

K x

We've all been through these side effects and you'll be fine.  Just tell yourself it'll only be for a short while.

• Posted

Hi, yes I had the same, was due to see the doctor, but phoned him after 2 days, he still advised I stay on them, but I could not eat I felt so sick, could not get much done as I felt so zonked out, which meant I stayed in bed more , so I just stopped, then saw the doctor after the week, and he respected my decision to stop them. YOu should also read about how difficult it is to get off them, unless you are considering long term, obviously some people do have to but depends on your situation. Good luck, keep us updated how you feel. Xx
    • Posted

He wanted to put me on Prozac, but I was too scared so just have zopiclone to help me sleep, and councelling. My prob is grief from dad passing away and seeing him so sick begging me to die! I just cry and have nightmares so councelling and sleeping pills may be better for me. Xx

• Posted

So last night I slept really well but woke up in middle night zoned out trying to get back to sleep. 

I then got up again this morning and felt very panicky and zoned out. I don't feel as dizzy. But I feel ' zoned out ' 

My father wants me to come off them. 

My mum thinks I should keep at them as she thinks I'm reading into it too much. 

I hate being bed ridden sad and feeling like this

• Posted

You need to stick them out hun. i cant stress it enough. At least a month to see that the side effects will calm down. You wil have wastes a week of suffering through the side efects if you stop them now, when they will already be starting to settle down... Promise hun, it will get better so just stick with it as long as you can and you will see smile. they wont make your anxiety worse long term. They will make it better. You may feel weepy and slightly more anxious as they get into  your system properly. I did too when i upped my dose to 40mg. Its normal. But like i say it definitly is not long term. These tablets have been amazing for me and they do take about a month to work. Obviously every one is different but the doc advises it takes around that amount of time on average...xxx
    • Posted

Thank you for the advice 😊 

Lots people saying stick at it. But the side effects are terrible! I don't know how people cope! Hate being bed ridden & not being able to do things sad 

Maybe I should call Dr see what she advices she did say still till Tuesday that's when my appointment is 2 see what it does. But hmmm I don't know x x

• Posted

I was the same hun. Took a week off work cos i felt so poorly. But they are so worth it. Without them i dont even think i would still be here sorry to say rolleyes.... xxxx
    • Posted

I dont think there are any atidepressants which dont give you side effects anyway. From what i have read on here..x.xxx
    • Posted

Did you get back to work ect okay? 

As I have to get back to work and I just feel like I can't move. Very zoned out today. 

Thanks for your help x

• Posted

Yeah i did Michelle. I had to ride it out for the week though. And then i was fine. It may be lnoger for you as everyone is different.... Its horrible i know but it will settle down definitly.xxx
    • Posted

Maybe I do need to ride it out. And see how I go. Like you say everyone is different. Eg my friend had no side effects. 

Thanks for the advice and help niccik smile x

• Posted

Hi, I think it depends on personal situation, only you know what you were like and if you needed medicine help. I felt just like you and glad I came off them. Anything that affects the brain is going to have horrid effects. However I do appreciate some people need them and have great effects, only you know your body. Good luck xx I found being zonked out counter productive and now force myself to exercise and eat well which I could not do on those pills xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.