Just started taking citalopram would love some advice

Posted , 9 users are following.

Iv started citalopram yesterday 20mg but the dr only told me to start with half to start with. I am 22. Never been on any tablets like this before so I am really scared. I constantly feel dizzy like I'm going to die and pass out and sick and feel like someone is standing on my head. Does anyone know when the side effects will go? And are these tablets any good? When you start seeing results? I know the dr told me to only start taking half but I already feel panicky and dizzy. 

0 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Michelle, I am on week 4 of 10mg and it is getting so much better for me with the side effects. I am glad that I started taking them as the anxiety was terrible. Hang in there.  You are not alone.
    • Posted

That is reassuring to know thank you smile . My friend was on them but she said she had no side effects at all. ( maybe some people are different ) 

I can't wait for the side effects to just  ' do one ' and I get get back to normal. 

Good luck amy and thank you smile x

• Posted

So I rang the DR she says I should have less of the tablet as iv only been on it 2 days 

I have been stuck in bed all day! I have to admit I haven't felt this low in a long time! She told me to stick to in for the next couple days if that doesn't work then come off them. And I really do think I may have to come off them. Will see how I go tonight when my 3rd tablet and I hope I can get out of bed tomorrow without feeling sick dizzy. 

• Posted

:-( I feel for you, let us know how you feel tomorrow. I had hot sweats in the night and grinding teeth too. Coming off them was best thing I did. Xx
    • Posted

How do you feel now coming off them? Iv decided to come off them. Had enough.
    • Posted

I felt the same as you.. Had enough! Am ok some days, force myself to eat well and exercise, councelling helped. Other days just cry and do not want to get up, it's a struggle :-( not very sociable, and I used to be so sociable. I don't think drugs are the answer for me though... Especially reading how hard it is to come off them and go through awfull side effects again to come off them and end up staying on them as too hard to come off. Good luck keep us updated xx
    • Posted

Does the dizzness go?

My issue is the dizzness and feeling week.

I feel loads better coming off them already though. Them side effects are bloody aweful! I'm back at the doctors Tuesday. 

And glad you did counselling ect smile I'm also booking myself to do that. As it is a brilliant thing to do. 

• Posted

I still felt awfull, sick and dizzy for 2 days after stopping, they are such powerful drugs, and I was only on 5mg. You should feel back to normal after 48 hours :-) xx
  • Posted

Well I actually managed to get out of bed this morning to make a cup of tea and I didn't feel as dizzy which I'm so happy about. It's the dizzyness that makes me anxious. I'm gonna try attempt to have a bath today as that was a struggle for me last 2 days. I feel very zoned out last night I didn't like that. rolleyes xx

Did anyone else feel like this? Like they couldn't get out of bed for a couple days? 

• Posted

That's great that you were able to get out of bed. Yay! I did not have a problem with getting out of bed. I did not experience the zoned out feeling either.. I am on 10mg and I take them at 9 at night before bed. My issues is waking up in the middle of the night and the burning skin sensation. It is getting better for me. I find that I do so much better in the afternoons and evenings. Keep us posted Michelle. You are not alone. So many people experience what you are going through. 
    • Posted

Thank u. See I sleep okay. I feel very zoned out and sleep. I Spose everyone is different rolleyes such a crazy drug. 

• Posted

So today hasn't been too bad to be honest. Haven't felt too bad. 

( touch wood ) 

BUT the dizzyness is driving me nuts! Has anyone else had the dizzyness? And when does it stop? 

Even when I'm sitting down I'm dizzy.

• Posted

I was 21 when i got put on citalopram a few months ago, please give it a few weeks to fully get into your system. As for me it took up to 4 weeks on 20mg and I only fully felt the benefits after a few days of upping my dosage to 40mg, and lately I have been feeling really good. 

When do you take your tablet? As when I took it during the day, the side effects made me really tired and foggy like I couldnt concentrate so my doctor recommended me to take them at night time as it helped me drift off to sleep. 

Did the doctor recommend anything to you about counselling? It has worked for me, at first I was really sceptical of it, but it has helped me loads!

Hope any of this helps! smile

• Posted

I take mine around7-9pm? As makes me sleep? 

It's just the dizzyness I can't bare! 

Did you have any dizzyness? 

Iv been on it for only 4 days. I only take quarter of a tablet as they thought whole one was too much for me as I had bad side effects ( 20mg ) 

I'm thinking doing counselling too as iv heard it's very good.

Thank you for the advice 

Xx

• Posted

Yeah, I had dizzyness during the first 3 weeks but now I don't feel dizzy at all, the only occasions I do is if I havent drank enough water. 

I would definately recommend carrying on with them, just taking the dosage you feel comfortable taking! My doctor said to me to try and push past the side effects if possible as things will get better.

And I would definately give it a try, I was so sceptical of it at first and in my first session I was wondering why she was asking me all sorts of wierd questions that I never thought she would ask. My counselling sessions lasted 6 weeks in total, and every week more and more things started to make sense to me, and eventualy we got to the root cause of the problem and she also gave me ways to deal with it in the future! 

smile xxx

• Posted

Ah thank you so much Hun smile

The dizzness is driving me nuts. 

I'm glad everything is working out for you.

Stay strong.

And I will drink more water and deffo look into counselling

Michelle xx 

• Posted

I know exactly how you feel, but I promise it will get better. I know your probably fed up of hearing it from people, but it really does!

Only a private message away if you need anyone to talk too!

smile xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.