Just started taking citalopram would love some advice

Posted , 9 users are following.

Iv started citalopram yesterday 20mg but the dr only told me to start with half to start with. I am 22. Never been on any tablets like this before so I am really scared. I constantly feel dizzy like I'm going to die and pass out and sick and feel like someone is standing on my head. Does anyone know when the side effects will go? And are these tablets any good? When you start seeing results? I know the dr told me to only start taking half but I already feel panicky and dizzy. 

0 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Did anyone ever have a faint feeling? Like all of a sudden feeling faint? 

Im getting better but the feeling faint and dizzyness is just driving me insane! Iv been on it 5 days and I only take a quarter tablet. 

X

• Posted

Update - 

So iv decided to stop taking it tonight.

Had a enough of laying in bed ( feeling dizzy sick ) 

That's more depressing! 

Will keep you updated how I get on without it

• Posted

Good choice! It is more depressing feeling that ill. Good luck xx

• Posted

Update -

So iv stopped taking cit and the dizzness has got soo much better not 100% but better! 

Back to the doctors tomorrow for blood tests hopefully I can get it sorted without using cit. 

• Posted

I started taking Citalopram yesterday. Is normal to already feel some side effects? I don't know if I'm just feeling them because I expect to get them. I feel weirdly sleepy and keep yawning, also I'm a bit shaky and can't stop grinding my teeth. Is the teeth thing normal?
    • Posted

Hey, yes I felt the effects within 4 hours, I also had grinding teeth, was awfull, like Michelle I stopped taking them, I could not cope with the side effects. Good luck others say they will disappear after a few weeks, but I could not stick it out.
    • Posted

It also depends how much u take. I had to start taking quarter as a half was just too much and I have a small body so it all depends on your body ect. Maybe see how you get on and call Gp like I did and they will tell you less the dosage till your body is used to it. I'm off it now though. So good luck. 
    • Posted

How you getting on now Hun without it? 

You on anything else? Iv ordered some bits from holland and barrats and had blood tests today xx

• Posted

Good and bad days. Just take sleeping pill every couple do. Ignites to block everything out. What have you ordered? Any ideas welcome :-) nothing can be as bad as cit ! Let me know what your blood test results are. Xx
    • Posted

Chik07

After taking Citralopram for 15 years I had a break for a year, and whilst off medication I took 5-HTP and l-tyrosine (both from Holland & Barrett) as 5-HTP is a natural supplement that mimics an SSRI.  Get hold of a book on Amazon called "5-HTP: The Natural Way to Overcome Depression, Obesity and Insomnia" by Michael T Murray - it's a really very interesting read.

You need l-tyrosine to back up the 5-HTP.  But you musn't take these if you're taking a prescribed SSRI.  It's dangerous taking both together.

I only took these when I was off my meds and I felt great for a year.  I only restarted my meds 13 weeks ago as family illness caused me too much stress and I could feel my anxiety/depression returning.  Once things have settled down I'll go back to the more natural method.

So if you're not on medication, it's worth trying this.  Again it takes a while to get into your system (possibly 4-8 weeks) without the side effects.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.