Just starting Citalopram today and very nervous

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello I am new to this website/forum and I have been reading about different experiences from Citalopram which has been really making me nervous about taking it. I was prescribed 10mg but I talked with my phycolgist about how nervous I am to take it so we decided I'll only take half of it, 5mg. I felt pretty tired and yawning constantly a bit after and had to take a nap. Now here I am almost 12am and I can't sleep. I am getting more and more nervous about taking it and the side effects. I'm on it because I have had PTSD since I was 10 after my dad passed away. I'm now 18 and have become a downer and sad and depressed with a little bit of anxiety. I just want maybe some more positive feedback if there's any

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Devin

I'm on day 24 and I started on 20mg , yes the side effects are not nice but these take time to get into your blood stream .

At first I couldn't sleep , sore head , heightened anxiety , dry mouth just feeling strange in general... But these side effects will start to slowly pass.

First time I've taken them too but slowly I am feeling better. Sleep is slowly getting better . I had to get sleeping tablets from the doctors and I felt like I was going mad just lying in bed at ngt not sleeping. They made a massive difference as it helps feel better if you get a good nights sleep.

Speak to your doctor about them.

I just kept thinking these are only side effects.,,,,,, they will pass and I will feel better soon !

Hope this helps x

• Posted

Thank you for getting back to me and welcoming me, I am happy that you are starting to feel better from the effects. Do you notice you are feeling better in terms of depression too?? I know it takes a while I have just been so up and down lately I want to feel good again. Thank you again
    • Posted

Hi Devlin

Yes I have noticed a difference with the depression. As I said I'm on day 24 and omg the difference to the first 10 days taking them is massive.

I went to the doctor and told them I'm going mad you need to help me ..... Like yourself it was lack of sleep and just the side effects.

They will work gor you just ride out the side effects x

• Posted

Hi and welcome to this great forum. It's like an extended family and someone will always be around to answer any questions you may have. Everyone is different and some experience side effects, some don't. The drugs do work, it does take time but the relief you get as they kick in makes life worth living again
  • Posted

Morning Devin,

Sorry to read of your loss and how much it is still with you. Please try to embrace the good memories and discard the bad, I know it takes time because I was with my Dad when he passed back in 2000. After 16 years of looking after him it is still difficult not having him or me Mum around.

Taking time is what is needed with these "sticking plasters for the brain" and it took me a week to take the first one as I was frightened, just like so many others. To be nervous about taking Cita is usual and you have to stay with it and ride the side effects. Some of the ones you'll read about here you will not neccessarily get and if you do get similar ones the intensity may be less than others  experience too. Eating, sleeping, health concerns may also become an issue to you, but do not fret you have already taken the second step in your recovery and congratulations - you found this forum.

I have been here off and on for 13 months and I have increased dosage along the way and know I am finally getting there. Saying that some people do not take as long (some longer) it is all up to the individual, plus I have had a few other problems arise which has slowed my recovery down a bit. However, you do get use to it. It will not feel like that now, but believe me and others time (and Cita) are a great healer.

When you feel a little better start things yourself to help, like look at your llifestyle, diet, exercise, having fun (it is allowed!). Music is wonderful and when listening to yer favourite (crank it up a bit) enjoy! Vitimins D3 and B6 are good supplements to help with the old serotonin levels.

I know you may not take this all in at the moment, but save this and other replies you get (I have - got fekin thousands!) and re-read.

So, keep reading posts here, try not to get too paranoid about side effects or issues others have as you may not experience them your self. Keep asking, posting no matter how little it seems everything matters as everything needs to be discussed to help you.

It only leaves me to say "Welcome to The Club". This is probably the best forum in the world, I know because it helped ME!

Take care now.

Regards,

David

• Posted

Thank you David, that really does help just knowing other people are on this too. And are doing okay. I am also sorry for your loss. It's taken a lot for me to even want to try to take the pill and at that I only took half of the 10mg. I get very paranoid easily and I think that's why I've been kept up. I also was prescribed Klonopin but I am toooo paranoid for that also.. I just want to feel happy and not be crying all the time. Today was my first time seeing a phycolgist and I am happy I did. Thank you again
  • Posted

Darn! I missed the most important word out between ... helped and ME! That word is 'save' - it helped 'save' ME!

Later!

David

• Posted

Hi Devin that is one thing that gets to me to u feel tired but just can't seem to sleep.have u tried meditation?that works really well for me.how long have u been on the meds for as it takes a while for the side effects to go away.are you doing enough during your day to make u tired?I started having naps to as I couldn't sleep at the start but now I'm sleeping better.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply, it took me a while to actually want to open the bottle of pills and today I took only half and fell asleep quickly after. I'm glad to know you are doing better, my mind feels like it's going crazy right now it's just been so much to take in all at once.
    • Posted

Things will get better i know its hard ive been suffering for 9months now.u just have to hang in there and give the meds time to work.just remember depression is only temporary.keep ur chin yp
  • Posted

Hi Devin, take the plunge! I was equally terrified when I was prescribed 10 mg and then to increase to 20mg a month later. Well I posted here and stared at the bottle for a few weeks, started on 5mg and then went up to 10mg a month later. Started feeling better but not good enough, so with the encouragement of this group I finally jumped up to the prescribed 20 mg 8 weeks ago. Please don't let the anxiety deter you, you will have to give it time, but you will feel better for it. I wish I had done as I was told, as I would be closer to being back to myself if I hadn't let the fear get in the way. Welcome, and yes this is an amazing group who have reached out and pushed me through some rough days. Welcome, and know you are not alone. Lee.
    • Posted

Hi Lee, thank you for your support. I honestly never thought I would go through this it's so new to me and I feel so alone in this. It's nice to know there's a group here. How are you feeling so far on the 20mg? They are really making me nervous, mostly because I don't feel like being sick with the side effects when I already feel like crap most of the time.

Thank you again

• Posted

Hi Devin

I take these meds (only 5mg now reduced from 20mg over the years) and they helped me recover from 16 years of anxiety and depression and am still going strong - 15 years of being well now.

My 20 year old son also went through a real bad depressive episode 18 months ago (much to my horror, remembering how I'd suffered) and he was put onto Fluoxetine.  He found the meds tough, and with family support he got through it all (took a good 8 months), but he has also recovered and is currently reducing his meds.

The meds can be tough to start with, and starting on a small dose sounds a good idea, easing yourself into them.  Everyone has different experiences/side effects with the meds and you won't necessarily feel the same as another person does - someone having a real hard time compared to some who find them ok.

This is a good site and you can share your experience with people, and find support from people who are still on the medication journey and from others who've now recovered.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss - it's such a difficult time and can be confusing when you're a child.  I lost both my parents within weeks of each other 7 years ago, and luckily I was already on these meds which helped me through it all.

It might seem scary starting out on the meds, but you'll be fine and you'll get lots of support here.

Take care

K x

• Posted

The very first day I took one I didn't sleep at all,I was worried that this would be the case for a while but I slept the next night ok and have ever since. I also take mine in the morning, do you? If not try it and see if it makes a difference x
  • Posted

Hi Devin, The meds do have side effects but then so does everything even good old panadol, the serotonin uptake medication takes a decent time to start working and increasing the serotonin in our brains at first the meds upset teh flow as things start adapting some people get really bad side effects some dont I had tremors for a long time but the intial things I was over in weeks which didnt bother me as much as the depression so it was a good trade off! Have you looked into Cognitive behaviour therapy as the lessons there help with how we apply our thought patterns and not worrying too much kind of qualifying things it worked well for me. Good luck once you get used to the meds you should start feeling better smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.