just starting taking citalopram

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi my dr has just prescribed me 10 of citalopram to start off with rising to 20 in the 2nd week for depression and im worried about side affects, just taken the first tablet this morning and i feel lousy is it likely the tablet or me stressing about it thanks

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Damo 47,

This is how i felt 6 weeks ago when i started , i felt lousy for three weeks with side effects but they have all passed now i have some good days now and the odd bad one. It is really worth the wait even though it takes a while to work. Keep going and take one day at a time , take care, keep us updated. xx

• Posted

Thanks bernieh i think its going to be a tough few weeks but encouragement like yours it what i need many thanks x
  • Posted

Hi, I'm on week 8 taking 20 mg cit. at the start the side effects made me question whether I wanted to continue on with the medication. Reading the comments on this forum kept me going and I'm so glad I have. I'm feeling so much better now, still a few issues around sleeplessness and night sweats but definitely more like my old self now. Stick with it, it will get better
    • Posted

Hi lifechanging did you start on 20mg and what was you taking it for, glad to hear your feeling  better just hope the side affects are nice to me
    • Posted

Hi, I started on 20mg. Unlike others I have read about on this forum I didn't have a gradual build up from a lower dose. I was put on them for depression and all the nasty side effects it brought with it.

I'm not going to lie to you the side effects weren't pleasant and I did feel worse before I started to gradually feel better. Everyone has a different reaction so hopefully you will sail through

• Posted

Thanks lifechanging fingers crossed for little side affects i'll post updates
  • Posted

What sid effects have you been experiencing.

I wudl be interested in what the others side effects have been?

• Posted

Hi christine only took the first one today so far no probs but i think they might take about 3 days before i'll know about any side effects will keep posting be lucky x
    • Posted

I have real problems sleeping and do not feel much benefit at present.

Thanks for getting back to me.

• Posted

Hi christine how long have you been taking them and what dose are you on?
    • Posted

Hi Damo.

I started out on 10 mgs for 7 days then 20 mgs and have taken them for just over three weeks.

• Posted

Hi christine from what im reading the insomnia settles down and once this happens you start sleeping much better and recovery starts hope thats soon for you
    • Posted

Hi Damo I really hope so .

I do hope that you are Ok and it is great to be able to chat with you on here.

• Posted

Side fx suck. For me it was waking at 3/4am. Anxiety early morning and dizziness/drunk feeling increasing when I went up to 30mg. I dropped back to 20 as the feeling of being uncoordinated & unstable was too much & the same as when I spent all summer on way too much effexor. I hear a lot about them being transient but boy do they suck. I used Clonazepam to help with sleep.

these tablets certainly made me feel lousy too. But they do change over time. 

• Posted

Thanks petersinpain im expecting the worst but hoping for the best had to do something i just wasnt getting better on my own fingers crossed eh

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.