just taken my first selincro, terrified of side effects?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've registered on here because I need some support.  I have just done a very stupid thing, I've taken my first Selincro tablet and as soon as I swallowed it, I had a complete panicky "meltdown" about the side effects and promptly ran to the loo and tried to make myself sick, not very successfully...I feel so stupid and ashamed of myself.  So now I don't really know if I've had the tablet or not, this was about an hour ago. I think I feel slightly woozy so I'll have to wait and see.  I've been reading some more about Naltrexone and I really wish I had tried that first, although I don't seem to be able to see anyway of obtaining it privately online as I've done with Selincro.  I don't want to involve my GP as this is very private for me and I've known him for too long. I would be grateful to hear from anyone else on Selincro or any advice at all really.  I had already emailed Joanna from the C3 foundation earlier today, (before my stupid episode) for help and advice.

So I'll pour a glass of wine in about 1/2 an hour and I suppose I will know by how it feels if I've had the Selincro or not?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Don't buy any Meds off the Internet.....Find your Local Drug and Alcohol Clinic, they will be able to perscribe you your Meds, without any contact from or to your Doctor.

• Posted

In the Uk, any medication obtained on our NHS (usually via the local drug and alcohol clinic) will go on someone's NHS medical records. 

Also, most medications for alcohol misuse are categorised as amber (shared care) meaning that the intial assessment and prescription is done by the local drug and alcohol clinic, but then the prescribing is passed back to the doctor with only the monitoring sessions continued by the alcohol clinic.

• Posted

Sounds like a bit of a bum deal, we keep them seperate. I can't imagine how hard it would be not to be able to see your Doctor because you didn't want him to know you needed help. Here we can choose to see another Doc if we like. I had some Dude get Meds online, they sucked and wern't Originals, made him real sick. Would be cool if we could get propper one's like yal online. Hope things get better. wink

• Posted

Not disagreeing with you Joanna, but my area is amber and my GP flat refused a request from the ARC to take over the prescriptions. Which was annoying, because the ARC rules meant two week prescriptions only.
    • Posted

Another thought. I wonder why you can go and get a private prescription from a doctor and they can manage to not inform your GP?
    • Posted

I was flatly refused anything from  my Doctor and she had never heard the TSM or the meds.  Just referred me to ARC and said they would keep her updated.

Not very helpful at all.

G.

• Posted

Well, amber categories do state that doctors do not HAVE to take over the prescription, but they are encouraged to do so.  As with any medical practictioner, they should not prescribe if they don't feel comfortable doing so, but this is more likely a reflection on their own abilities if they do not.

In my experience, very few doctors have denied a request made by alcohol services to take over the prescription.

• Posted

Just because your doctor had never heard of the meds, doesn't give them the right to not look them up and see what their local NHS procedure is and then follow that.

Things such as fatly refusing discussion, not looking anything up, categorising this as American Mumbo Jumbo (as I heard on here from someone else, I think) when this medicine has been approved for this purpose in England since November 2014 is, sadly, a reflection on how much some doctors really care about their patients and it shouldn't be accepted.

There is a complaints procedure to cover things like this - doctors who are jobsworths and don't even care enough to bother spending 5 minutes looking something up!

Under the NHS Constituion you have rights to certain standards of care.  It's a shame not many people knows what the NHS Constitution is, or how to complain.......

• Posted

Guess that is how the 'private' consulation rules are, RHGB!

• Posted

Jayne, although side effects are common with Selincro, most get past them within a few days to a couple of weeks. Have a look at this link here on Patient:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/naltrexone-nalmefene-selincro-the-sinclair-method-hints-and-tips-505275

Getting Naltrexone on NHS can be rather more difficult, but Joanna or CThree Europe can give you the latest info on that. I hear there's a clinic in Scotland that will prescribe it for private patients and there are reliable internet resources that have been used by people wishing to treat their Alcohol Use Disorder via TSM with Naltrexone. There is also an online pharmacy in the UK, but as far as I know it requires a prescription. 

• Posted

Hi Jayne I started Selincro about 6 weeks ago and like you I was very worried about side effects... I was lucky mine were mild.Like you I sought help and advice on here.

.After first tablet I felt a bit woozy and strange but nothing too weird and was a bit wakeful at night for first few nights. My advice from Joanna at C3 Foundation was to ( when you start the meds) eat a meal before taking the nalmefene and drink plenty of water after and also when you have an alcoholic drink .Make sure you wait 2 hrs before drinking.I have done this and the medication is proving successful with me so far ...Because I am more of a binge drinker I only now take the nalmefene about 3 times a week and it has helped me reduce my intake considerably...Sometimes recently I have had a gap of 5 days between tablets and have then noticed a mild return of side effects but nothing I can't deal with ...

When I first started I did take the meds daily for 8 days (obviously followed 2 hrs later by a drink ) to enable my body to get used to.it and eliminate side effects

All the very best of luck and hope you are not suffering too many side effects.....keep us updated 😊😊

• Posted

hello and thanks to all of you for your replies. Big side effects kicking in, so I obviously did ingest the tablet. Can't think straight to say much more, I'll check in tomorrow

• Posted

Have just replied to your email Jayne, so check your inbox.

If you brought the tablet up then it wouldn't have had a chance to be absorbed. 

You should know when you drink yes.  Taken that first mouthful carefully and see if it feels any 'different', as if the big kick from that first mouthful is missing.

It it is missing, then the tablet has probably been absorbed.

Naltrexone can be obtained privately, but not online.  You need to actually sit down with a private doctor for a consultation.  There are a few private doctors I know who are fully aware of, and prescribe, naltrexone for this reason (as long as it is medically suitable for you of course) - in the London, West Midlands, Glasgow and Edinburgh.  Email me, or PM me on here if you would like the details of any of those.

• Posted

I just received this email this morning.  After gaining permission to repost it on social media and here, this gentleman is more than happy to have his experience shared in the hope that it will help others.  I hope you can read it okay after I have posted it.

The point I really like about this is that he is someone else who is saying that the benefits far outweigh any short term side effects that you may get from the tablets. IF you get side effects, they aren't nice, but they are worth working through for the gains he has received.

This gentleman responded very quickly to the treatment, and this is fairly rare in my experience.  He was lucky to be a fast responder, but that wouldn't all be luck - it would also be because he started the treatment with the absolute understanding that compliance is the number 1 priority (and non-negotiable!) and he worked with the medication by mindfully drinking right from day 1.  He thoroughly understood that this is a medical treatment and should be treated with as much importance as you would a medical treatment for any other condition.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.