Just told I have copd. I'm freaking out!!!!

Posted , 10 users are following.

Went in for a consult for sleep study today and they did a breathing test because I smoke. Then I was told I have moderate copd. I'm only 37 and want to see my kids at least grow up. Now understand I have panic disorder also. I didn't really push myself on the test because I wasn't there for that anyway. I didn't know I was seeing a pulmonary doc anyway. It said sleep doctor. I didn't know I was suppose to give it all I had on the test. I was in such shock I didn't really get many answers. All I remember was he said 80 to 100 was normal and I was at 61 which he said was moderate. I'm so lost and in tears because I'm so scared I won't see my kids grow. He gave me a inhaler blue one I have had before for mild asthma. Also gave me a once a day breo I think it's called but I am worried about that one because I have a higher then normal heart rate. Always have had that. Can someone please help me. Tell me what to do because I don't see this doc again till April. That's a long time for someone with anxiety panic disorder.

1 like, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Keith

The obvious first step is to quit smoking. Second, try the inhalers but pay attention to your heart rate. I have a congenital defect that causes afib so I pay close attention.

Eat healthy and exercise. COPD isn't a death sentence. Many of us have had it a long time, as in decades. The more you take care of yourself, the better you'll do. Many of us continued to smoke after our initial diagnosis ,,, until we got sicker. Some on here still smoke, but you've already got sleep apnea and heart trouble in addition to lung trouble, all at a young age.

Your kids are your best motivation for quitting smoking. There are tons of programs to help you quit. We're always here.

• Posted

I don't have sleep apena yet at least. I was sent for a consultation and before theyou schedule a sleep study he does the breathing test. My heart has checked out fine in every test they have. All except a above average heart rate.

• Posted

Hi there.  I have just been to the doctors because of chest pain and sometimes shortness of breath. I do smoke.  I also suffer bad anxiety brought in by a chest x ray for a cough when I managed to convince myself I had cancer.  The x ray was clear.  This was back in November. I've been been on anti depressants for the panic/anxiety and was doing well until the doctors today when she said she was testing me for emphysema. The test is not til next week.  

I really only get the shortness of breath on the odd occasion, maybe a couple of times a week but was putting to his down to anxiety as I'm still quite nervy most days. When walking etc I don't have that shortness of breath feeling. Just slightly out of breath when walking up hills!  Does this sound like cops? 

Thsnk you

debbie

• Posted

Debbie Hun start a new thread for yourself so you don't get buried. You have good guest ions and I don,t want you to get missed.  

• Posted

How many ciggs you used to smoke and for how long have you been smoking ?? Its highly unlikely that you have COPD. As you said that you didnt give your 100% into the breathing test. I suggest you see a pulmonary doctor again and discuss your situation. If possible go through the test again(this time give your 100%) If you still smoke please stop. I understand its not easy but you have to try for your family.It can make your condition worse. 
    • Posted

Yes I haven't touched a smoke since he said this and looked down at my 3 year old. I smoked about a pack to a pack and half a day since around 16

• Posted

I feel your pain, you can still see your kids grow up and live a good life.  But you have to take care of yourself now.  Quit smoking, watch your indoor air quality, eat healthy if you would like I can give you a few foods that help ect.. Cardio exercise as much as you can.  And ask your dr for the other inhaler that will stop the progression on copd it goes with breo and it,s new called incruse available in Canada should be available where you live if you have breo.  Ask your dr if it's ok to take extra vitamin d3, nac, and keep your blue inhaler for emergencies.   The number one thing to worry about is germs, viruses stay away from sick people, crouds and sanitize your hand a lot. Dust, polo and Mold can be a problem buy a portable hepa filter unit for your home, a few plants in a sunny window not in your bedroom.   Also I suffer from anxiety my dr uped my klopin that helped.  Remember this could be worse be happy it moderate.

• Posted

Hi Keith. This is a great forum. I just recently was diagnosed with COPD. It's scary untill you talk to people that also have it. I have been doing a lot of reading to try to understand. It makes it hard when you have to wait so long to see your Doctor. I made an appointment with my family Doctor and she put my mind to rest. Don't overthink this. Hope this helps. 

• Posted

Hey Keith,

You know what the first step is. Get tough, get mean, get some grit and stop smoking. It takes grit and dogged determination. Nicorette gum helped me. Once you quit you need to realize you will always be one cigarette away from being a full-blown addict. Once you quit, quit. You are either a smoker or not a smoker. Be the latter. 

Inhalers typically make a person's heart rate go up for a short while after use. I would not worry much. Ask your doc more about it in April 

Once you quit smoking it is highly likely you will get some lung function back and for many smokers, it does not progress once they quit. A good healthy diet and an aerobic exercise routine will also help improve lung function as well as clean out some of the tar from your lungs. A healthy diet might also help your lung function and reduce inflammation which might help your asthma. You hear a lot of diet advice and pros and cons. I don't follow any diet, however, two things you never hear is that fruits and vegetables are harmful or that sugar is helpful.  That is a good place to put an emphasis on your diet.

I also have issues with anxiety and sleep. For me, and I am only speaking for me, a couple amino acids help a lot. I take Theanine in the day when anxious and GABA when I cannot sleep (can't turn off my brain). I do not take either daily and only when needed.  Vitamin B6 as a standalone will also really chill me out. These supplements take the edge off things for me. If you are inclined to try them, talk to your doc first. 

As you know, anxiety will create a monster out of most anything. I listen to a guy on YOUTUBE named Michael Sealy. He has several meditations on various topics. Pick a topic that fits the day you are having and start meditating regularly. I find an easy chair and earbuds are helpful. Mindfulness is a very good place to start particularly for anxiety. It helps a person let go of monsters. I am betting if you give a month you will be amazed at the difference in your outlook.

April is a great time for your next appointment. It will give you several weeks to realize some health benefits once you put an emphasis on your physical and mental health. You have a great opportunity to change things significantly before your April appointment. Get crackin. 

You are young, you caught it early, you have every reason to be very optimistic that you will have a good outcome and live a normal life. Stop smoking, eat healthily, exercise, and count from one to zen.

Be good Keith. 

• Posted

Hi ,well I'll say the say what I always say ,the first and best thing you can do for yourself and your children Is STOP SMOKING NOW ,and then ask your gp to refer you to pulmary rehab ,you have to get it into your head that before anyone else can help you ,you have to help your self, I was diagnosed 26 years ago ,I'm now age 71 and go to the gym twice a week ,if I can do it anyone can ,best wishes 

• Posted

Hi Nanny. Me again. Ellen from Canada. I just need you to know your posts have been an insulation to me. Yes I get winded. I only need oxygen on excertion. I feel good. I don't abuse the oxygen but rather just use it going up and down stairs. I have placed a call to our local Copt excersize programe. I don't see my my respirologist until early March so took it into my own hands to get on with it. It was your post that got me thinking "if you can do it anybody can". Will keep you posted with my progress. 

• Posted

I had to step out and was thinking you really should of gave the spetomatry test your all,  the pulmonary tester are the best cheerleaders they really make you work.  I really liked mine I actually think I fell in love with the guy.

anyway maybe you should re due the test and try your best this time.  I hope you get better results but the best thing you can do is quit smoking.  You got a scare and with help from a dr you will be able to get over the withdraw it takes about 6 months but in the end cig will be a thing of the past.  Good luck and maybe go to a walkin clinic so they can treat you faster and order a test for you.

• Posted

First I want to thank everyone for there responses. I am trying to give up smoking. I was a bad smoker so just the fact I have only had a few since I found out is a huge step for me. I can't afford to get any stop smoking ads as I am disabled as is. You see I broke my spine in two places and have had all kinds of surgerys since. That was about 4 years ago so physical shape has kinda fell also. But I am trying to go at this one thing at a time. As far as the the actual test I watched a video showing someone getting it done and the tester was just like cheerleader. They kept pushing the person doing the test. I didn't get that. Like I said I went for a sleep consult and my tester just said " take a deep breath and blow in this tube hard" that was it. The only time she really pushed was the last of the three tests which was where it sprays gas back at you, she was very stern on how I had to do it cause "if I didn't listen and get a complete seal on the mouth piece it would cancel out the test and we would have to do it again " In fact by the video of what I seen I was suppose to have the nose clamp for all three but she only put it on the very lastart one with the gas. Either way even if the score comes up it has been a scare of a lifetime. I'm trying to find out now about redoing the test or a second opinion since around here they tend to get offended when you feel it wasn't done right.

• Posted

If you smoke one fag you may as well smoke the whole pack!  I used the patch to quit smoking before I found out I had copd, stop with the excuses for continuing to smoke.  We are not in this boat together because we didn't damage our lungs with cig.  Also the damn things are expensive Nicolette inhalers, patches, gum give you the nicotine you crave and is way cheaper.  You will also know that once you quit you stop the damage from progressing at a faster rate, actually my dr said the damage slowes to someone that does not smoke.  Keep it up with the fags and you could get the tail end of the gold standard or worse cancer etc....

• Posted

Well really the only time I have gave in was when my wife smokes. Even though it's only been a day I can already smell a difference. Smelling one made me really want a puff. Except the last time. I tried and I think it's all coming together in my head and it made me sick. It actually made me sick the last time just holding it in my hand. Looking at it and thinking of what it might to do for me being there for kids really changes the mind. As far as gums and patches and stuff to help fight the urge, they are actually a lot more expensive then a pack in my area. I know most places they are cheaper but where I live is where the make the majority of cigs. So needless to say the price is a quarter of anywhere else in the world. The smallest pack of nicotine gum off brand is twice the cost of a pack. I'm not using that as a excuse I just wanted to clear up the if you could buy a pack then you can buy something to help stop. It's actually something people in my area have been complaining about for a very long time. I am scheduling a retest though. I'm sure the numbers won't go to normal but accurate numbers would make me feel a little better. Today I am working clearing out remains of smoking from my house. Ash trays ect. Just have to get my wife to stop also.

• Posted

For the sake of your lungs, her lungs & your kids, I hope that your wife quits smoking. But if not, she absolutely cannot smoke in the house or the car, nor within 20' of you when y'all are outside. This will also make it easier for you to quit.

It sounds to me as if you're in Virginia or N. Carolina, tho for some reason I thought you were Canadian. Go online with the American Lung Association & look up smoking cessation programs. In some places you can talk to a counselor on the phone. You don't have to do this alone. Also, in some states as part of the lawsuit settlements with Big Tobacco they make patches, etc, available free or low-cost if you meet income guidelines - and it sounds like you may. (So do I, but the State didn't start doing that til after I quit smoking.)

If you can quit without any program or aids, more power to you. I had to have help while my ex quit cold turkey.

No matter what, we won't judge you and everyone here is rooting for you. And fyi, the person giving the test may not be to blame. That whole cheerleader routine is a bit ridiculous unless they're going to be cheering us on 24/7 to breathe that way. That level of breathing takes a tremendous amount of energy and leaves many of us unable to stand & walk for up to 5 minutes. It also causes many coughing fits. I understand why they do it, but since in the U.S. whether you get to pulmonary rehab is determined by your test results, it's a thoroughly sucky system.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.