Just want answers!

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi there!

New here and wanted to post to share my experience.. I have no idea if I am experiencing vertigo or what it is....

I have had dizzy episodes in the past that always went away... years ago... like 7 years ago.. maybe the odd one here and there..

starting in Dec.. I had a few days where I was turning and took some gravol it would subside..

In January I had 2 episodes of the spins... no way I was able to get up they were that bad.. no nausea.. but since that last spin.. I have ringing of the ears.. (started in right ear) I had dizzy and movement everyday!! some daytimes not bad but awful when I layed down to go to sleep.. close my eyes and dizzy movement or movement coming towards me.. not fun... then a weird thing started.. episodes of out of the blue a sudden wave of dizzy that would make me jump or gasp.. lasting 1/2 second.. and gone! I will be at work or anywhere really and i would jump when it went through.. you could almost feel it.. go from one side of the head to the other.. or into ear.. just a dizzy feeling.. I dont black out.. only a few times did I feel like I was going to fall back..

The spins and dizziness lasted over a month.. I was getting pains in left temple, headaches across forehead or over left temple.. but it's better.. now I thought I was feeling better..and the quick wave of 1/.2 second ones are still hanging in.. maybe 2-3 x a day... sometimes Im looking down at my iphone.. sometimes Im not.. I've had all bloodwork done.. all normal.. an ENT app't booked for MAY! ugh too far.. I have eye exam in a week.. to cross that off..fam dr tested me for vertigo.. (laying back fast with head turned.. right side was a little but not bad.. does vertigo actually cause these little waves too? I feel fine once they are over fast just worry.. like all we think the worst..

I just worry cause this flash of dizzy is different.. sometimes i could be looking down and reading and feel like im going to fall over.. once i look up or adjust im good.. if anyone can share similarities.. so hard not to worry..

2 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I do not drink, smoke, I do not drink coffee or tea (if I do it's pure peppermint)
  • Posted

Hi there, I get waves of dizziness too. Its a co-incidence you mention looking down because I have had this problem too. It feels like I am falling and quickly have to stop myself. This only lasts for a few sseconds too but it makes me jump all the same. I get it in bed as well. Feels like I am either moving to the side all of a sudden or like things are spinning inside my head and it always happens all of a sudden! I have already posted on this site about dizziness during take off and landing in a plane. Also I think I mentioned waking in bed one morning severely dizzy! Never been as scared. Yet that only lasted 30 seconds. Thing is you think it wont stop dont you. But it always does. So yes I experience this minor dizzy episodes and I think they mostly started with the severe one in bed about 5 years ago. Doc told me that was BPPV.
  • Posted

Hey smiles,

I think that I am leaning more towards bppv as well. Sounds very similar to my story. My ENT's originally diagnoses was labyrinthitus. I went back to see her and now she is insure so she gave me a referral to a neurologist. Waiting on that appointment. I have done eye tests, MRI with the injection, couple doctors visits, blood work, blah blah blah. Everything came back normal. One of the original doctors I visited said that she thinks it's bppv. Maybe I should start doing exercises for my ears now. Have been thinking possible migraines as my ENT pointed out that potential diagnoses. She also said that it could be a pinched nerve in my neck. Who knows

• Posted

I just dont understand... I knew vertigo (which they are guessing) with tinnuitis comes and goes but holy... a week in Nov, twice in Dec.. Jan and Feb pretty much straight then thought I was better.. spins and dizzy gone just this falling feeling, or almost like a headrush only dizzy.. quick.. standing, laying.. dont matter what Im doing it just happens quick and gone... very tired the past couple of days..

• Posted

It might be worth asking for a referral to a neurologist for an MRI scan, just to rule out any neuro causes. The only other things which I know about are Meniere's Disease which might fit with what you describe, or labyrinthitis. Hope this helps, but I am no expert, just someone who has experienced dizziness and labyrinthitis. It would cost you about £500-600 to see a neurologist privately I think, and that's if you needed private MRI scan. I did this due to another neurological problem which has now been fixed. Good luck Smiles.

• Posted

I have an eye exam in week to cross that off.. waiting on ENT in May.. on cancellation list... am hoping if nothing than the ENT will do MRI.. I hate that vertigo etc cant be diagnosed w/out guessing..
  • Posted

Hello

Dizziness has been the bane of my life for almost 16 months now. Ive managed to get myself back to work but its been a real struggle and some days I barely know how I make it through the day. I too have these little half second dizzy zaps, mine feel like someone has grabbed the back of my head and they are pushing me forward and sometimes I feel like im leaning to one side or my feet are sinking into the floor. My head zaps also tend to happen either when Im looking down or up or sometimes when I move my head but not all the time. When I was first diagnosed with BPPV I was getting about 50 of these per day and all my GP had to say was 'that sounds nasty, i wouldn't like to have that'! I saw an ENT consultant last April and again in January this year to be told that I had had BPPV but now Im left with psychological vertigo due to hypersensitivity to movement and anxiety. Doctors dont seem to see the wider picture with inner ear conditions. I was told that I would be 100% better in 10 weeks max even without treatment and yet here I am almost a year and a half down the line and I still feel well below par and feeling off balance and faint most days. Because of this ive developed a serious health anxiety and have pretty much convinced myself that something really bad is going on with my health.

There seems to be no answers and not much help out there for inner ear dizziness. My confidence has hit an all time low, I go to work, food shopping, which is a nightmare due to panic attacks, and then I go home and thats been my life for the last year and I hate it. I dont go out, I dont see my friends and even some of my family anymore. I want my life back but the medical profession arent listening.

Im sorry for the rant but its been a bad day and Im feeling particularily low today.

• Posted

Boy do i know what your going through. Im 32 and it started about 7 years ago. No help from doctors except to tell me it was anxiety. I told them the dizzyness ans veryigo is whats giving me anxiety! So since i had no help from them i started to eliminate foods to see it that would help. I eliminated all gluten foods and ate smaller meals. I also dont eat much sugar cause if i do vertigo comes in strong. Too much sodium and caffiene will do it too. My vitamin d level is low and i started taken a multivitamin. I also experience lots of foggy heaed days and worse on period days. Im not saying the vertigo will go away completly but it wont hurt to try. Oh and gatorade is my new best friend, as dehydration will also make it worse
    • Posted

I am now waiting on neuro and dr finally requested MRI

I have had some fairly good days.. no change in diet etc.. but it could hit at any time ... soooo frusterating.. not knowing.. Im scared of my MRI.  the test and the results.

• Posted

I am very to hear of your condition and can sympathise with you dearly.

I have been suffering for 6 months with vertigo/dizziness and after 2 months of dizziness my GP diagnosed me with vestibular neuritis and said it should pass in a couple of weeks.I too have had anxiety when out and feeling dizzy on a bad day.I have been dizzy everyday but have had good days and even good weeks but the past 3 days have been hell.I was being positive latley and thought that these bad days would be less frequent and less servere but they are back again.I am going to tell my GP this week that I would like a referal to go private for a second opinion.There is treatment and therapy for my condition but many long term sufferers I have spoken to on the net say they are a waste of time and money as there is damage to the innner ear that will not repair itself.They do say though that on good days to keep active and busy and move about and over time the brain and opposite ear will conpensate for the damage and things will get better and easier to live with.

I hope you are better now or at least things are more manageable.

Jason.

• Posted

Lisa, that sounds absolutely awful. I've not had even a fraction of your problems and yet I know how unpredictable dizziness can affect you. Really feel for you and do hope that you may be able to get some answers by perhaps going privately? I've also experienced this withdrawal from normal life and friendships due to another neurological condition and I know how emotionally blunting it can be. I am very lucky in having had surgery (brain!) and am now fully fit again and never dizzy. I wish you all the luck in the world in finding a good diagnosis and then a cure. I honestly don't believe that anxiety causes dizziness - that just doesn't stack up. Take care and don't give up eh.
  • Posted

Lisa were you diagnosed with lab or bppv before you had brain surgery? I am just wondering if you were mis diagnosed? I had an MRI done and it came out normal.
  • Posted

you had brain surgery? My dr did some neurological testing.. you know with the eyes, the reflexes.. blah blah.. says nothing shows to worry him yet.. til I have hearing test..
  • Posted

Sorry if my post was misleading in any way. I had brain surgery for hemifacial spasm (and dizziness was part of the package, but just a very small part of it). I am not suggesting that anyone else on this site needs brain surgery. But, it is a good idea to rule out anything neurological as part of the process of elimination. Dizziness is so debilitating and I really feel for you. I have a friend who has Meniere's Disease which she seems to control quite well with medication....... but, you need a proper diagnosis before you can address the problems eh. Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi Smiles,I've had dizzy- giddy for 3 years,I suffer from tinnitus had that 8 years now, went to ENT and consultant ,got me a hearing test same day,On that outcome I was given an MRI scan all came back fine,they say I have hyperacusis tinnitus . This year I had eye test told optitician about my balance problem, she checked me out thoroughly,my eyes had not changed in 4 years no change in prescription.when I'm sat down it's not to bad,it's at its worst when walking ,looking down or up.and standing on a chair is a no go ,wait till you get a hearing test and eye test but I'm sure ENT will want done what I had done .your be fine but do tell ENT about the balance the tinnitus is an on going thing I'm afraid I do try to ignore it but with difficulty,in the early days it has been known to just go, like it came .so keep your chin up .best wishes x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.