Just want to get some opinions about COPD

Posted , 10 users are following.

Was told that i had COPD by a E.R Dr, he informed me that because of my age that it could have had something to do with whe i was a child !! Eg .. My mother prob smoked when she was pregnant .I have a purple advair, not really fussy about it !!! Just got a DR. What ? Do i ask . I forse myself to long periods of time with out using anything. Any advice would help. Thank you

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Patricia

have you had a spirometrey test that can help diognose copd

• Posted

Yes.  Don't force yourself not to use your inhaler.  It is there to help you cope with your illness and make it more managable.

You need to go to your own doctor and get some advice.  You don't say how old you are?  But if you are under 40 ish then you need to be tested for a genetic illness called alpha1 deficiency.   Your doctor should do it for you automatically but if s/he doesn't ask.  It is only a simple blood test.

With copd you need to look after yourself with a healthy lifestyle and diet and take your meds as they will help.  x

• Posted

A Dr from ER told me to get that test done !! I just got a new DR and will be asking for that test. Thank you for that reminder, i forgot the name of it
  • Posted

I've never heard of COPD being caused by that and what on earth is a purple advair?
    • Posted

Well they blame everything on smoking these days don't they?  I wouldn't be surprised if they even blamed the colour of your hair on it!

• Posted

Well it's certainly accurate to blame most COPD on smoking, but not because our mothers smoked (mine definitely didn't) but on our own smoking, not to mention lung cancer, bladder cancer, throat cancer, heart problems etc etc etc ......... those tobacco companies have a lot to answer for
  • Posted

Thank you all for the info !!! I will make a Dr's appt this week. I am starting to eat and continue to read up on COPD !! As far as the Purple Advair , it was given to me by an ER DR . I haven't had a spirometrey test , i will have one done. Thank you all for the help,   smile
  • Posted

I have never heard that you can get Thus from your mother smoking during pregnancy. Ever. My mother smoked during all her pregnancies. Do you all think this contributed to getting the illness? Along with smoking?

• Posted

I meant this to be addressed to all.
    • Posted

I have not heard that either. Only heard that smoking and other things in the inviroment can cause.
    • Posted

I'm not sure, i was told by a DR to have the test done !! I haven't had it done as of yet, thinking i'm still in denial. I have a small child and really worried about it. I have been doing other things to help it.But we will see .
  • Posted

Hello, If your mother smoked while she was pregnant with you, then she probably kept on smoking after you were born, and then you possibly got COPD from second hand smoking? Also, regarding your purple Advair, you are referring to the color of the case that Advair comes in? 

You should not go without taking your medication, since they help keep the lungs open so you could breath better. 

I hope everything turns out good for you! 

• Posted

I don't want to depend on it either !! I find if i stop and breath the way i was taught it works out !! But when i was first told i was taking the puffer all the time and finding myself using it all the time. Now that i control it i don't use it as much. I eat better, don't smoke and i'm walking. I have to fight not only for my self but for my little one.
    • Posted

Patricia, It sounds like you have found a way to help with your breathing, then that is best, since it works for you. Keep up the exercises (walking) and good nutrition, and start visiting a dr regularly...this is a great schedule!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.