Keloid Scar on chest

Posted , 33 users are following.

I had a small mole removed fom my chest, but the stitches split and have left me with a huge keloid scar. I'm so self-conscious of it as it right in the middle of my chest, so I can't wear any low cut tops, or if I do I wear a big necklce to cover it.

I had steroid injections and laser treatment a couple of years ago but if anything, has made it redder and itchier. I am desperate to have surgery to remove it once and for all but have a feeling it's going to be expensive. Any one had good results from surgery??

2 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi I know how you all feel. I also have a keloid on my chest from acne when I was about 19/20. I'm now 35. I once got a steroid injection when it was a few years old and smaller. It did help with the pain and itching. It also decreased the volume but also made it wider. I never went back for another treatment of steroids after that. But I've tried many topical creams and gels, tea tree oil, apple cider vinegar...nothing worked. It completely rules my life! I don't wear any low cut tops or swimsuits that i like because I am so embarrassed by this ugly scar. And if I wear a necklace to cover, I'm overly concerned about it staying in place as I move about.

My scar is about 3inches long going across my chest, just above/in between my breast. Only about half an inch in width...

Have any of you heard of Cryoshape? It's similar to topical cryotherapy BUT uses a needle that goes through the center of the keloid and freezes it from the inside out. It was developed by a man in Israel some years ago. It has 3% reoccurrence rate. I live in The States (California) and there are only a few Drs. that do the procedure. Mainly plastic surgeons and dermatologists.

I have a consultation with a near by dermatologist in a couple of weeks. Anyhoo, there's a really well known dermatologist in South California named Dr. Sandra Lee aka the zit popper who has been on a few TV shows doing the Cryoshape procedure on patients. She also has a YouTube channel.

Before any of you decide to get radiation, chemotherapy, lasers or excisions please look into Cryoshape as no other forementioned treatment as such low reoccurrence rates. It "seems" like our best option. There are also a few people who have blogged and posted pix of there scars before and after the Cryoshape.

If you guys want I'll keep you posted on what the dermatologist tells me. We meet on June 8th.

Sorry so long. Best of luck to all you/us.

• Posted

Hi there !! Your post wasn't too long, I loved it and I thank you 😊

I'm from Australia and haven't heard about Cryoshape, probably because years ago I just gave up. Gave up thinking that anything could be done to fix my scar.

And then for some strange reason I started googling keloid scars on the weekend and stumbled across this thread.

I am so thankful as I become so consumed with my own chest that I forgot that there are so many others out there that are just like me !

I have cried in changed rooms and won't show anyone my chest. A necklace isn't big enough and people wonder why I have an obsession with high necked clothing.

Please post how everything goes after your appointment on June 8 as I'm so keen to hear the outcome 😊

In the meantime I will Google Cryoshape !

Thanks again 😃

• Posted

Hello again,

I know what you mean... I'd stop looking for solutions or treatment because it became so disheartening to constantly hear that nothing works. I've cried, at times I've even wanted to die.

Then I'd search online and see other people with multiple scars or even on their faces and felt more compassion and empathy for them and less sorry for myself.

I have a few friends who know/have seen it and they say it's no big deal. Easier said than done. Not to mention they say keloids shouldn't get much sun.

One of my concerns with getting treatment (that I will ask the Dr about) is, if there a chance of making it worse since it's on the chest and almost every movement of your arms and neck cause chest muscles to move. I just wonder if that will effect healing or healing time. Also will I need to take a hiatus from working out...things like push ups or even jumping jacks etc may effect it.

Lastly I have brown skin (African American), so I'll also ask about what I should expect regarding pigment changes. There are several pictures of people with dark skin who have gotten Cryoshape on the earlopes and their skin looked pretty close to normal. I just wonder if it's different based on the location of the scar??

I know it will never look like perfect unscarred skin but I certainly don't want it to be worse and larger. I'm not sure my spirit could handle that.

When you search for Drs always ask multiple times if they have done Cryoshape. I went for a consultation a few years ago because the front desk person told me they did the procedure but when I met with the Dr he had never heard of it and advised me to have an excision. What a what of time!!!

Is there anything you want me to ask the Dr while I'm there? Lol I figure since so few of us know about Cryoshape or have gotten it done we ought to be our heads together and get informed and share what we learn.

• Posted

Hello again !

Thanks for your last post, I hear what your saying and I feel for you. 

i have been googling Cryoshape online and there is some fantastic results.  I agree with you though that even after this treatment my skin would still not be perfect and I accept that.  

My scar has slowly grown bigger after a long period of time.  Mine was caused by just one pimple on my chest that I squeezed one night before I went out when I was about 20 years old.   Apparently it then become infected etc and turned into a small keloid.  

In hindsight I should have just left what was there but after a nasty comment from a guy likening it to a " third nipple " I decided to have it removed. 

Huge mistake ......   Now I'm left with a enormous and hideous keloid scar.  

Yes, I have learnt to dress around it but I'm limited, especially in summer.  And yes, there are others with worse but it still gets me down as I see it everyday !

I am married but it took me a while to ever settle down ( before I got married ) - as I never wanted a guy to see it.   I don't even like my husband now to look at it.    It's red, raised and angry looking.  

I guess if if you could ask your dr if the treatment is successful on really large scars and is it available in Australia.   If yes, where ?

Its good to be able to talk on here with others who have the same problems and feel the same way. 

Thanks again biggrin

• Posted

Wow,

It that we got our scar the same way...a stupid pimple that we picked....if we could only turn back the hands of time knowing what we know now.

I'm married too, dating guys was hard though. At home I wear tank tops when it's hot...I recently took a photo with my daughter while home, wearing a tank top. I then edited the picture by removing my scar...I showed it to my husband. He didn't even notice I changed it. Lol which I guess is a good thing...I see it everyday but he simply doesn't notice it anymore.

My two year old daughter will sometimes touch it and say "that hurt mommy"...another reason I want this scar off/improved is because I want to show my daughter that she should be proud of her body and not be insecure but I can't honestly do that.

A few days ago I ran across another form of treatment that seems to be pretty good. Apparently they excise the scar then give small/controlled amount of radiation to the scar the following day. Timing the radiation after excision seems to be the key. They use a machine called the SRT 100. The machine is also used to treat some skin cancer patients.

This machine/method was just FDA approved to treat keloids in The States in 2013 so I couldn't find a lot of before and after pictures. There is a Dr on YouTube who has several videos discussing the procedure and showed pictures. Scars on the face, neck, and back looked fantastic 1.5yrs after the procedure but the one fellow with keloids on his chest looked unsatisfactory in my opinion. I wonder if it was because his scars were directly in between his pecks?

I wish I could post pictures on here because I would show...but simply look on YouTube. I forget the DR's name but his practice is called Lexington Plastic Surgeons.

The Dr I'm going to meet with has the SRT 100 machine and lists it as an option to treat keloids so I will ask him about it while I'm there. I also read that on his website that Cryoshape works well but not as well on scars that have been treated by radiation. So that's something to consider, like if by chance Cryoshape doesn't work (well) try the SRT 100 treatment afterwards but never before.

I'll ask if there's anyone down under doing either treatment.

Have a great week. I'll let you know how the consultation goes later in the week. ;o)

• Posted

I look forward to hearing from you after your consult and I wish you all the best for some good and positive news !!!

i really appreciate all of this info you are giving me as I had never heard of SRT 100 either but then again I haven't been looking as I sort of accepted that I am what I am now.    However, you have ignited my interest again and that is a great thing,  so I thank you !!

i too at home in really hot weather wear tank tops around and my scar is out in all its glory but never in public would I do that, never.  

Sometimes I hold my hand over it and pretend it's not there or imagine that it's not really under there but reality bites and there it is.  

There is a lot of what ifs and yes, I should never have picked or removed the small one I had in the first place ....  But that is all behind me and I must live with the way I am now but also hold a glimmer of hope that something may be available to help.  

Good luck and chat soon ! 😊

• Posted

Hi SongOx,

Thanks for the well wishes and positive thoughts. Very sweet of you. 

My consult with Dr Ting went well. He said the SRT treatment is the best but you essentially trade one scar for another. As I mentioned before they cut out the keloid then use the SRT machine the following 3 days. Over time what will remain is a line scar...also since SRT is radiation, he said it will darken the skin of the treated area. He mentioned the skin will lighten over time but probably wont go back to normal for some time.

If you check out the Youtube videos of Lexington Plastic Surgeons, you'll notice the patients skin is darker around the new line scar. But still a vast improvement to having a keloid.

As for the cryoshape, he said he believes its good option for me since I've never had radiation and if I dont like the results, I can still do the SRT. He said Cryoshape will flatten my scar but may not improve the color very much. Luckily for me, only the ends are noticably darker than the rest of my skin. The pain and itchiness will be gone completely.

He recommended massaging the scar 3x a day to break up the scar tissue. Part of the reason keloids are painful is because they can became very hard. Massage and pinch/squeeze the scar. It may be uncomfortable the first few times but will feel better over time and easier to treat. 

The Cryoshape precedure can take 10min-2hrs, he said he can't really predict it. It all depends on how long it takes the scar to completely freeze over. For this reason, he schedules these procedures at the end of the day so he can take all the time he needs. I wont be able to work out for 3-4 days after Cryoshape. Also no pool or ocean swimming for 10-14 days afterwards to ensure I dont risk getting an infection.

The healing time is about 6mo. Well maybe I shouldnt call it healing...but the look of the scar should continue to improve for the next 6mo, with the first few days being the most uncomfortable. 

The cost for my cryoshape will be $1500. It's considered to be mid size. My daughter is taking swimming lessons in which I have to be in the pool with her, so I wont get the precedure done until the end of the summer.

Unfortunately the Dr doesn't know if Cryoshape is available in Austrailia or not. But dont get discouraged, start looking for dermatologist in your area and start calling around asking specifically for Cryoshape and/or SRT-100.

Let me know what state you live in and I'll help you research as well. we shouldn't have to live like this.

Keep in touch!

• Posted

Hi !!!

Glad all went well for you and you have some info that may be able to help you and improve your scar ! 

Your right, we shouldn't have to live like this and to look at my scar on a daily basis is a potent reminder of that.  

I live in NSW Australia.   The closet major city to me is Sydney.   

I guess im scared too, scared that if I muck around with this I will be worse off but I need to banish the negativity and push on.   

I know that my chest won't ever be smooth, clear and free, so to speak but a vast improvement would help me.  

Even to wear different style of clothing would be a huge boost to my confidence.  

Will keep on on researching and helping each other out.  

Thanks again 😊

• Posted

I've called Lexington Plastic Surgeons in New York regarding potential consultation options for SRT-100 treatment of keloids as I am from Canada. They told me that they could do phone/e-mail consultations where you would send them pictures of your keloid and they can tell you how much it would cost (at which point I could book a flight and get the procedure done, but follow up treatments become an obstacle while working full time).

I then proceeded to ask about how much this procedure typically costs and the receptionist said that they start at $5,500.00 USD and go up from there. 

If anyone is from Canada, it seems like Salient Medical Solutions is introducing this device to Ontario, but I have yet to call them to determine if there are any SRT-100 MDs in the area yet. 

I hope this information helps, as I too am looking for a solution to get my life back!

• Posted

Hi Chris

Wow!! Starts at $5500, talk about sticker shock! That could really add up especially if there isn't a location near you. The closest Lexington office is in Beverly Hills which is about 6 hours away from the SF Bay Area where I live.

As I mentioned before, the Dr I meet with this week has the SRT 100 machine so I will be sure to discuss it with him.

It's really frustrating that there are limited solutions for these scars and even harder to find Drs who know about the treatments or do them.

The Cryoshape procedure starts around $1200 and often times only need one treatment. But again, it hard to find doctors that do the procedure.

Where is your scar located? How long have you had it? And have you tried any of the usual methods of treatment?

All the best to you.

• Posted

Hey Shavon,

Sorry for the delay in response. I didn't sign up for email notification, but now I have. I have 2 medium sized keloids on the center of my chest along with a few smaller ones from acne I had about 6-8 years ago.

I haven't tried any procedures as of yet but I am waiting game for SRT100 to come to Canada. I have called Salient Medical Solutions and it seems that the device is indeed here in Ontario but they haven't sold any yet. I also called Sensus and they informed me that no machines have been installed in Canada yet, so I am simply waiting until it arrives as I would have to take vacation days to have the procedure done.

Thanks for sharing the information you received from Dr. Ting! It truly is nice being able to speak with other people who are experiencing the same thing as you.

Although these scars do impact our lives, it is nice to know that there is a solution out there (despite its heavy price)!

Please keep us updated Shavon as we would love to hear your progreasons towards the end of the summer. I will keep you guys updated as well.

Christhor

• Posted

Shavon,

After reading your post about cryoshape, I Google searched it and it turns out there is a clinic located literally a 5 minute drive from where I am located! I am intrigued and excited/nervous about it but am going to find out more information about it.

If I do decide to proceed with this I will be sure to share my updates on this forum!

Thanks for the information,

Christhor

• Posted

Good morning Christhor,

Wowwww!! That's awesome news there's one so close to you. That puts a smile on my face. I know what you mean about it being a waiting game for the SRT to become available. I think I first heard about Cryoshape in 2009, but it wasn't FDA approved in the States then once it was only a few Drs on the east coast had the training.

Then for a while I couldn't find much information on it as the supplier stopped shipping the probes here or something like that.

I got discouraged and had stopped looking into any treatments for a few years but always remembered the name of Cryoshape in the back of my mind. Fast forward to 2013, I had seen Dr. Lorenc who has an office in both NY and California who did the procedure. His quote was $1800, but I was pregnant at the time and opted not to get the procedure at that time.

I contacted him again about 6mo ago, he no longer has access to the Cryoshape machine since a dermatologist is no longer in his office. So that got me to thinking about finding a dermatologist. Lol I'm not sure why it didn't cross my mind before since it is a skin issue. But prior to that point, I had only heard about plastic surgeons treating keloids since it's also cosmetic. Anyhoo that's how I ran across Dr Sandra Lee on YouTube and more recently Dr. Ting via Google searches.

It's been a very very long road but I'm seeing some light at the end of the tunnel. Over the years I've read forums like this and never commented but I feel compelled to share this information because Cryoshape and SRT-100 seem like our best options at this time and so few of us know about them.

I feel excited and nervous, as much as the results of Cryoshape are positive, I still pray I'm not making a mistake by messing with the scar. I'm not sure my spirit could handle it. I know I'd still have the option of doing SRT but again I'd have my reservations. Not to mention would need to save a few mortgage payments worth of money to have it done. SMH.

I'll keep you all posted at the end of the summer and onwards to let you know how things progress. Thanks for offering to do the same.

All the best,

Shavon

• Posted

Please keep in touch re your updates both Shavon and Christhor !!!

Between us we will find something 😊

If if I hear anything from the land down under I'll let you know 😃

• Posted

It's so surprising to know that there are quite a few people like me silently suffering from keloid scars..I initially had one in the middle of my left hand which developed when I was 12 yrs. Later I had a c-section delivery at the age of 25, after which I developed scars around my stomach and the chest area (both sides). Its absolutely grown in size in these 8 yrs and causes itching. Now my doubt is if I get pregnant again with my second child, will these scars grow more in size or can I get them controlled by some means before/after delivery through some precautionary actions. I ve been postponing my plans for the second child just for this silly question in mind. Need some valuable answers n opinion from you all based on which I can come to a conclusion about getting conceived again. I am really longing to have my second baby, but the only thing which is stopping me and I am worried about is my keloid scars. Please advice..Thanks.
    • Posted

Hi Songox,

How are you? Any luck with finding treat Cryoshape or SRT-100 in Australia? It's been over a year since I had my keloid treated with Cryoshape. After which I had kenalog and 5-fu (50/50) injection every 4-5wks. My scar is completely flat!!! I did experience some pigment loss. My Dr started treating me with a laser...the name of the laser escapes me at the moment. It was a laser used to treat vitilago patients. I had about 9 treatments (aprox 25 are needed to bring back pigment) I felt a tingling and itch days after each treatment. Which made me fear that the laser was awakening the collagen cells that produce keloids. My Dr said she had not heard of anyone experiencing that before. Anyhoo, we opted to stop with the laser treatments. So I'm living with the pigment loss, as flatness became my new objective.

I'm brown skin so having a pink/white scar in the center of my chest is very noticeable but guess What? I don't care!!! I feel so free. I do wear foundation on it most of the time but you can still see it. It's no longer a keloid scar...just a flat scar. So now, I wear the clothes I want. This summer was the first time since I was 19/20 years old that I've worn low cut or v-neck tops without a huge necklace. I'm 36 now...i feel free. That's the only way to describe it.

The healing process was long...and with pigment loss but I'd do it all over again today if I had to. Dr. Ting and Dr. Freeny at California Dermatology changed my life. It's only now that I see how much the keloid held me back. Now I shop and buy the clothes I want. I wear tank tops out when it's over 100° like a normal care free fearless woman. Lol

On occasion I see people glance at the new flat scar...lol probably wondering why it's a different color than my skin but it doesn't bother me. In fact I talk to people about my experience and having a keloid. That's how free I feel now.

I hope you and others reading this can get a satisfactory treatment or find a way to love and accept yourself with the keloid. I say that...but I know for myself I wouldn't have been able to feel this way without having the Cryoshape.

You and Christhor have been on my mind and I wanted to touch base and let you know there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

I wish I could post pix on here so I could share pix throughout the healing process.

Thinking of you and wishing you the best.

Shavon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.