Kidney Ache with Small Quantity of Alcohol

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi, 

Apologies if this is in the wrong area or not appropriate, I appreciate this forum may typically be for folks more advanced into their kidney problems but this was where Google directed me.  Please advise if so.

Over the course of the last 3 or 4 months I've noticed an increased 'kidney ache' the day after I've consumed a large quantity of alcohol.  The pain would only last as long as my hangover, i.e. the day after.   At the time this wasn't of particular concern and I simply put it down to the excess drinking alone without worry. 

However at home last night I consumed a single casual pint of lager and noticed that my kidneys immediately started hurting.  The pain lasted through the night and I am still aware of it this morning.  I am particularly concerned given that a) the aching started immediately after consuming the alcohol (as opposed to the day after) and b) that it was triggered but such a small quantity of alcohol.

The pain wasn't/isn't significant enough to stop me going about my normal business, I would describe it as a constant dull ache emanating from my lower back at both sides (note its definitely not one sided).  It is however enough to cause me discomfort and did disturb my sleep moderately.

To give some further background, I am a 33 year old white male.  There is no family history of kidney problems.  I drink a lot of water on a daily basis as I don't drink much tea or coffee.  In a normal week I probably consume about 4 or 5 pints of lager.  However in addition to this I would say I also binge drink once every 3 weeks, on average consuming 7 pints or 4 pints and 3 double mixers.

I am uncertain whether this is cause for concern and I'm not sure whether I should continue to drink alcohol (I'm supposed to be going out for a birthday party tomorrow night).  I will probably make an appointment with my doctor for next week. 

Does anyone have any advice or shared experience? 

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

We're not medics on here but certainly if you are experiencing such pain immediately following an alcoholic drink then surely that tells you something!  Not just your kidneys but your liver could be at risk.  And why or why ever "binge drink", let alone every 3 weeks and as much as 7 pints or 4 pints and 3 double mixers.  If you have been doing this for many years, then you are risking your health big-time, and you are only 33.  The long term binge drinking may have caused a problem which means that just a small amount of alcohol is now causing symptoms.  Do get it investigated.......and do value your health more.  
    • Posted

Hi there, I think you might be a tad out of touch with reality.  many people binge drink.  And it is perfectly normal to have 6-7 pints, most men who go for a night out with the lads will drink this and more - much more.  7 pints is ok.  Some people are really out of touch with what people drink and also how strong the liver is.  I reguarly drink over half a bottle of win a beer or two and then maybe a sherry.  I can run a mile in less than 5 minutes and I play squash 3-4 times a week where I play intensely for 40 minutes.  My rest pulse is about 50 and blood pressure is fantastic - I am also 43.  I just think there is a lot of exageration about drinking too much, suggestions of two drinks for a bloke is unrealistic - no man who drinks - drinks this little
    • Posted

Alex, I was simply providing a helpful answer and advice as requested by hagglelad who was concerned about his kidneys being affected by the alcohol he drinks.  As someone who had a kidney removed very many years ago in childhood, I have reason to be very kidney-protective.

?I haven't seen any helpful reply or advice to hagglebad from you!

• Posted

Alex, that’s great that your body functions as well as you say it does at your age. However each individuals body functions and reacts to things differently. Take a bee sting, to some it doesn’t bother at all, others it swells a bit and itches and yet others still have a severe reaction to it that can be letheal if not treated. 

To the original poster, listen to what your body is trying to tell you. There could be any number of potential issues at play here some that are no big deal and others could have potential long term problems. 

Pain is the body’s way of telling you that something is wrong. Just like a myocardial infarction (heart attack) pain in because the heart is being damaged.  Kidneys can do the same thing called kidney ischemia. Only a physician can diagnose any problems. For the sake of safety listen to your body, avoid alcohol and make an appointment with a provider then FOLLOW THEIR ADVICE. 

Be well. 

• Posted

Hi

Did you get this solved or get medical advice?

I have the same symptoms and very similar story / profile.

• Posted

Hi Paul,

Yes in the end I discovered that I was suffering from Gastristis, an inflamation of the stomach lining.  Basically when I drank alcohol it would further irritate my already damaged stomach lining and the main symtom I got was an aching through the back.  My GP put me on a course of PPI's, which blocks production of acid in the stomach and slowly allows it to heal in conjunction with a sensible diet.  My Gastristis wasn't anywhere nearly as bad as others I have read about and cleared up in about a month.

Hope that helps,

Ollie

• Posted

Thanks, I'll get booked in with my GP.

Had been avoiding alcohol for a while, until my stag do at the weekend!

• Posted

Hi!  Still unanswered is the question of whether alcohol indulgence can result in kidney pain.  

My personal concern is that moderate[?],6-8 oz.) of alcohol consumed in an evening (How much did Churchill take in[?]) can impact one's kidneys incidentally or [Egah!] profoundly.

Recently, I have been experiencing pain in the general area of my kidneys (specifally, the lower right posterior quadrant.)

I am content with my lifestyle and don't wish to change it.  My annual physicals are OK, should I worrya/

So, the fundamental question is, in the absence of cirrhosias, can alcohol use induce kidney pain?

• Posted

Ollie, i would like to thank you so much! I had the same problem and i was extremely worried it may have been the kidneys. I always had a dull ache in my lower back (flank pain) on both sides whenever i consumed alcohol. It would last upto a week after drinking and other symptoms included a dry mouth and bad breath. This has now been resolved by taking PPI's so thank you.
    • Posted

Thanks for posting this. I drink very little, but on the occasions I did I was experiencing quite painful 'kidney' pain, worst during the night and early morning, although it could also sometimes happen without a drink... I had been checked for infections and problems with my kidneys without finding anything. Since I have spinal injuries after a car crash years ago the pain was written of as nerve/muscular pain. I did not really feel that was quite correct and have read around without luck, especially since the symptoms became worse during the past 3 years. I came across this thread and thought 'why not try' since I was having a bout of night/morning flank pain again. First night I tried it and pain was gone. Seems mild gastritis was the culprit, in my case due to 2 years of incredible stress being sole helper when both my parents went through extremely serious health crises pretty much at the same time, while both my children were also having health problems.. with my own injuries to deal with on top. Luckily all 4 are much better and the stress is pretty much gone but the pain remained - until now. Just thought I would say 'me, too' when it came to antacids helping flank pain when other more serious causes have been ruled out.

• Posted

Curious if your issue was solved with PPIs as well.  My symptoms are very similar and wondering how many successes there are with PPIs and this situation.

Thanks!

• Posted

Hi

If its any consolation I have kidney disease and have never had kidney pain .

Alcohol or none, no pain in kidneys. Everyone is different but not many people with kidney disease do complain of kidney pains unless the cause is kindney stones or current kidney infection or cyst.

My mum is in end stage kidney disease and no pain, my brother in law had kidney removed due to cancer tumor again no pain, he didnt even know he had a problem.

Hope that helps.

Jane 😁

• Posted

I recently had a flow test done. I have been experiencing pains in the lower right back (kidney). Husband and I would go get a bite to eat and have a glass of wine . I could drink two sips and the pain would hit me. Put it this way we would not be able to stay and finish our meal. The pain was so bad!! Well, after the flow test we just had done it looks like my right kidney is damaged don't know how much yet. I have one more test which is a ct with dye. You really need to go have yours checked .

Good luck and God Bless!

• Posted

Hi all,

I have experienced this dull pain in my right side lower back (kidney) for 2 weeks now after drinking far too much alchol in 1 night. It is painful and uncomfortable and it has happened a couple of times before this year and just happend for 1 day until my hangover went. Ive been so worried and went to the doctors and the blood tests showed i had high creatine levels , I wnet back 5 days later and they have returned to normal, my doctor says that could have been a red herring due to dehydration and has put me on antibotics for the week hoping it will treat the problem , i need to return in a week if pain is still there. My question is, has anyone else experienced this? Im praying the antibotics clear up whatever has happend , but i know it is a direct link to the ridicolous amount of alchol i  consumed. Ive decided im not drinking again but i really need to find out what has happened. Could it be an inflammed kidney?Should i ask my doctor to check specific things?? My doctors is based in a univeristy where i work and they are used to typically treating 18 -21 year olds, i doubt they have come across this frequently. Thanks

• Posted

It sounds like you may have a PUJ obstruction.  That is the junction where the uretha meets the kidney which is narrow and means the kidney cannot drain properly when you have had a large quantity of liquid.  My daughter had this and it took 2 years to diagnose.  It is corrected by a pyleoplasty operation.  You need a scan with radioactive dye to diagnose.  Good luck 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.