Kidney Ache with Small Quantity of Alcohol

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi, 

Apologies if this is in the wrong area or not appropriate, I appreciate this forum may typically be for folks more advanced into their kidney problems but this was where Google directed me.  Please advise if so.

Over the course of the last 3 or 4 months I've noticed an increased 'kidney ache' the day after I've consumed a large quantity of alcohol.  The pain would only last as long as my hangover, i.e. the day after.   At the time this wasn't of particular concern and I simply put it down to the excess drinking alone without worry. 

However at home last night I consumed a single casual pint of lager and noticed that my kidneys immediately started hurting.  The pain lasted through the night and I am still aware of it this morning.  I am particularly concerned given that a) the aching started immediately after consuming the alcohol (as opposed to the day after) and b) that it was triggered but such a small quantity of alcohol.

The pain wasn't/isn't significant enough to stop me going about my normal business, I would describe it as a constant dull ache emanating from my lower back at both sides (note its definitely not one sided).  It is however enough to cause me discomfort and did disturb my sleep moderately.

To give some further background, I am a 33 year old white male.  There is no family history of kidney problems.  I drink a lot of water on a daily basis as I don't drink much tea or coffee.  In a normal week I probably consume about 4 or 5 pints of lager.  However in addition to this I would say I also binge drink once every 3 weeks, on average consuming 7 pints or 4 pints and 3 double mixers.

I am uncertain whether this is cause for concern and I'm not sure whether I should continue to drink alcohol (I'm supposed to be going out for a birthday party tomorrow night).  I will probably make an appointment with my doctor for next week. 

Does anyone have any advice or shared experience? 

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am sorry I have not posted in some time.  I have had this problem for three to four years.  It doesn't have to be a lot of alcohol, I can sometimes feel it on the first drink.  I think I have finally figured it out with ZERO help from the doctors.  TRY DRINKING A LOT MORE WATER.  I know this sounds obvious, but I was horrible at drinking water, whether or not I was drinking alcohol.  This sounds stupid, but I would go to the pool all day and drink 7 or 8 beers and have zero water.  Now, I try to drink a full bottle of water every two or three beers and this has helped dramatically.  There are times that I fail, and 100% of the time I feel it the next day.  I am now drinking more water during the week when I don't drink at all, and I can tell a big difference when I do drink.  To start, try drinking 12 oz of water for every beer and see how you feel the next day.  Then you can walk it back to find out what works for you.  Please let me and others know if this helps.  It is frustrating that the none of the doctors recommended this.  Then again, maybe this only works for me.

• Posted

Hey mate I've got the exact same thing. Did you end up finding out what it is? id love to know. I've had all the tests possible and they tell me I'm fine. Quite frustrating to be honest because i love a beer.

-any info would be great

thanks

Cody

• Posted

Hi Cody, take a look at my response to paul43656 above!

• Posted

My daughter had this problem. you may well have a PUJ obstruction which means that your kidneys are unable to drain quickly after excessive amounts of alcohol or caffeine. in her case she had a blood vessel wrapped around the uretha and was fixed by a pyleplasty operation. It often remains undiagnosed for years. Check it out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.