Kidney infections constantly but no answers, can anyone help?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi,

For the past few years now i have suffered with constant water infections, its always pain in my right side, sometimes i'm sick with it and my back feels like it could break. It can also go into my groin area and down my leg also. I've had CT scans and another type of test which all came back as normal which was last year. I don't understand how it can be nothing as the pain is horrendous and all they do is take a urine sample and give me antibiotics. Does anyone else suffer with this? I wasn't sure if it was when i drank alcohol which is very rare but sometimes i get a water infection and sometimes i don't. The hospital put me on antiobiotics for 6 months changing them every 2 months and i still managed to get a water infection on them. I am now having blood tests again and will presume i may have to go for all scans again but just wondered if anyone has had the same problem and had any advice on what it could be or what i could do?

Thanks

Sophie :-)

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,

Firstly I am sorry that you seem to be suffering there is always a cause to these things so its not nothing, you are in pian for a reason - you just need to find out why.  I am not so sure throwing antibiotics at the issue long term is helpful but then i am not medically trained.  I am surprised though as antibiotics should be given as a last resort as you become imune to them with constant use.  All I can suggest is that you keep going back until you get an answer. Have you had a kidney biopsy if all the scans come back clear this may be the next thing I would consider asking for.  Good Luck x

• Posted

Another thing is I'm a very paranoid person and it worrys me that its something really bad and they aren't finding anything. Does anyone know if you should ask for a smear test when you have kidney pain and groin oain?

Thanks

• Posted

Hi,

When did you last have a smear?, you don't usually get kidney pain with what you are thinking is more back pain.  I think you should ask to see a different doctor and explain your worries.  What is your blood work like have they said that the continous infections are taking their toll on your kidneys? what is your GFR (Kidney function) what is your creatinine level? and your blood pressure is this ok? if all of these are ok then you don't have anything to worry about in the short term, however you do need to keep the pressure on to find out what is causing the infections as these things dont happen for no reason.  You may never find out I am on dialisys and due to have a transplant shortly I have had two biopsies which came back with different results so I am still no the wiser but I can't change it and so I just get on with it. Let us know how you get on x

• Posted

Hi Helen,

I've never had a smear test as I'm not old enough i will be turning 24 in July. My blood pressure is fine and my bloods that i had done this time last year came back fine also. I had new bloods taken yesterday and have an appointment on Tuesday to go through them. It is back ache that i get aswell as in my right side of my tummy. I feel like i need answers so I'm going to keep going with it. Hope it all goes well for you. Thank you x

• Posted

Dear Sophie2607,

Just to support what everyone else has said . You have to keep going  until you find the cause of this pain. I spent over a month in hospital in really awful conditions throughout July and August of last year. The hospital findings were: 'Your not getting any better!' What I had was kidney failure. I was then taken to a kidney unit who got me home in 10days !! Although hindsight is a wonderful thing if we had it!

Keep trying regards,  Eric

• Posted

Quick thought ... I Wish i knew these were "Symptoms" and Clues to my Condition Years Ago!!

Lay Down perfectly flat (no pillow behind your head) and stay still for a few minutes. Do you feel like a Heaviness has been "Lifted" from your Side?

When you are standing or sitting and you Lift your Right Leg to put your shoes on, have you noticed your abdomen feels "Fuller" on the Right than when you do the same for the Left??

Do you become Uncomfortable (even Nauseous) if you wear a Blouse or Dress that includes a Thin Belt around your Waist?

• Posted

Hello... You are NOT Losing Your Mind. Your Pain is Very Real and Yes it's Excruciating- Debilitating - Life Consuming... Please look at "NEPHROPTOSIS" aka Floating Kidney

Your symptoms matched mine 6 Years ago when I became Symptomatic ...I hope and Pray I can Save Someone Else the Years of agony before an accurate diagnosis!

I had a Full Hysterectomy (by age 22)

Dozens of Laporoscopies for Endometriosis-Adhesions Disease

Appendectomy

Gall Bladder Removed

Every Scan known to Medicine

... All it took was an Xray (called IVP) with Dye I.V. Laying Down then Pictures Standing Up... VOILA DIAGNOSIS and 2 months later Corrective Surgery *I am 3.5 wks Post Op now... 😂

• Posted

Yikes!  Amanda, are you saying you went through all the list of unnecessary operations before finding out through an IVP that all you needed was corrective surgery?  At age 22 as well.  If so, Heaven help us all.  Lots of good luck wishes for a complete recovery.
    • Posted

Yes ma'am ...

Thank the Lord I had my 2 Perfectly Healthy Children Very Young 😉

I've had 1 Medical Complaint my whole life... "My Right Side Hurts!" ... and as soon as I was of age, they just started Trying Stuff to see if it made it stop. Lol

Even After My IVP scan the Radiologist Reported "No Nephroptosis" thankfully I have a Son who is Pre-Med and we reviewed the Scan Ourselves. Then I traveled 800+ Miles to Get the Diagnosis by a Surgeon and again 3 weeks later for Surgery wink

• Posted

Well, thank Heavens for you having had children "very young" and for that son of your's - he deserves to go far!  I'm sensing that you aren't in the UK?
    • Posted

No, I'm in the U.S. (Kansas) but I found many on this site with the same horrendous symptoms as myself, and so I swore I'd use my Every Breath to help others smile

And I was on CIPRO (very strong Antibiotic) for 6 years as well... OH And Alcohol made my Skin Hurt? Like I was bruised? And after the smallest drink I was Miserable with an Instant Hangover?? My husband swore I was punishing us for having fun lol

• Posted

Well let's hope it's onwards and upwards for you now, Amanda - you certainly deserve it.  Best of luck.
    • Posted

Hi Amanda,

I have CKD stage 5 and I know exactly what you mean with the bruised feeling skin, we call it pinchy skin as if you or anything touches your skin it feels like you are being pinched all over when I have a drink.  I don't really drink and it seems better now I am on dialysis but I don't drink that often as I don't like the taste much.

• Posted

Wow. You're the 1st person to "Understand" what I mean when I say that! Most Dr's just looked at me like I was "Joking as Usual" ...

I'm sorry to hear of your progressed disease and pray that they find a way to Stop any further Damage

• Posted

How did you finally get anyone to listen to you? I am in KS also and have gone to now 4 dr's have had 2 UA's, blood work, and a CT and everything come back normal but am still having the pain. I have now talked to 3 of the dr's about nephrotosis but since they've never heard of it they just blow it off like I'm just a crazy person who found some random disease online but they still can't tell me whats wrong. I literally fit every single symptom of nephrotosis but I can't get them to do the test for it. I know this is an old chat but any advice? Any suggestions on dr's names on who to go to about it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.