Kidney infections constantly but no answers, can anyone help?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi,

For the past few years now i have suffered with constant water infections, its always pain in my right side, sometimes i'm sick with it and my back feels like it could break. It can also go into my groin area and down my leg also. I've had CT scans and another type of test which all came back as normal which was last year. I don't understand how it can be nothing as the pain is horrendous and all they do is take a urine sample and give me antibiotics. Does anyone else suffer with this? I wasn't sure if it was when i drank alcohol which is very rare but sometimes i get a water infection and sometimes i don't. The hospital put me on antiobiotics for 6 months changing them every 2 months and i still managed to get a water infection on them. I am now having blood tests again and will presume i may have to go for all scans again but just wondered if anyone has had the same problem and had any advice on what it could be or what i could do?

Thanks

Sophie :-)

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sophy, we're not medics on here, but it doesn't make sense to me to be plying you with 6 months of antibiotics rather than getting to the root of the problem and finding the cause.  Take Amanda's advice and ask for an IVP if you haven't already had one.  I had one many years ago following the birth of my first child simply to ensure that my sole kidney was still healthy after the first delivery to enable planning a second pregnancy.  Drink plenty of water throughout the day and avoid all alcohol.
  • Posted

Hi Well l can relate to Sophie,s symptoms, and amanda,s experience in getting diagnoses, suprising or shocking its not that unique for some women to go on years with symptoms and pain. l also had frequency, soreness, heat, in urethra passage right groin up my side, chronic lower back pain, and generally felt unwell much of the time. Initially put down to post op, csection-sterilisation, had d and c, pills, so then thought hormonal, had laprascope, nothing found, adesions confirmed as already known about, so more pills,  l also got inflamed gall bladder and had that removed,  l had heavy flooding monthly and became aneamic, so agreed to hysterectomy, even knowing they dont need to remove uterus for heavy loss, either laser or meds can do that, but l was desperate over the symptoms and affect on lifestyle, partner, 2 young kids, felt they would surely find cause when doing hysterectomy, but symptoms remained, dissapointment putting it mildly. My symptoms had also gone on many years, by which time it was put down to usual for many when diagnoses following tests, xrays, scans, show normal, so then it becomes phycalogical,  l did have pylonephritus in this time, had xray with dye for that, still no result. Eventually l found a more enlightened or at least sympathetic gp, who referred me to urologist who did cystascope, which showed damaged bladder wall, biopsy confirmed intersticial cystitus inflammation of urinary tract and bladder.. Put on meds, no cure but treatment for symptoms which took away 90percent of symptoms, l was also told about support group, c.o.b, and discovered lots of women suffer for years, with no diagnosis or treatment, left to it, some quite young teens twenties, some in 70s, it seems if you get anything a bit unusual, not common, many gp,s havent a clue, but the urologists are clued up once you get to them.  Wondering if they give you anti bs even when no bacteria found, with ic you can sometimes get bacterial infections, but mostly no bacteria found, but a treatment of last few year for ic is to give anti bs as a preventative, one kefalexin a day, it has been shown to help with preventing ic flare ups, but after over a year for me, lve had frequent nausea, and diagnosed with slight gastritus, so wonder about taking a lot of anti bs, l think they do cause nausea. 

Anyway hope the info helps you get a diagnosis, be it ivp xray initially or scope But like amanda its terrible that the suffering and affect on lifestyle can go on years, wouldnt wish it on anyone, being free of symptoms is like coming back to normal living again, so best wishes.

• Posted

Oh Yes the Anemia was the WORST! I spent 2 Full Years in my early 20s with a Headache (that I swore was a Brain Eating Bacteria from Satan Himself! Now I see why the Dr's never take me Seriously) ... After every pain med known to mankind (I never actually took any due to a Toddler and Infant at home), I Asked if I was Low on Iron? No One Thought to Check It!!! So one Med-Rare T-Bone Steak later... I Was Cured! Ugh.
  • Posted

Thank you everyone :-) I've just had a call from the doctors as the bloods they have taken have come back and something with my liver bloods not sure what but I've got to go back monday for more bloods and they're sending me for an ultrasound. People with the same symptoms to me did anything show up on your liver bloods?

Thanks

Sophie

• Posted

Good luck on mon and remember don't stop until you find out what is wrong.  Like the others have said its not in your head and you are most certainly not paranoid, frighted I would say and with good reason as you are in the unknown, do keep us updated x
    • Posted

When they do the Ultrasound Please Make sure you Change Positions!! They can Diagnose a Mobile Kidney that way as well wink

Good Luck and You're on the Right Path!

• Posted

Hi, Glad to read your getting tests and scans done, and theyre taking you seriously, l didnt get i.c. diagnosed through blood tests, it was much later through a scope. Hope you get a diagnosis and treatment to help soonx
  • Posted

Hi, you sound very much like I was. For 5 years I had kidney infection after kidney infection and became very ill. I was put on antibiotics for over a year permanently having them changed every 2-3 months but i still got infections and eventually i became immune to all available antibiotics. For 4 of those 5 years i was told there was no answers and i would essentially grow out of it, it was only after being referred to Mr Neil Oakley of BMI healthcare who also works part time for the NHS that he diagnosed me with chronic kidney disease and said my disease was so advanced i was either born with it or developed it as a toddler. 4 weeks ago i had my kidney removed as a result of my disease not having been found soon enough. Unfortunately a lot of people like myself are misdiagnosed with recurrent infections because thats the symptoms they exhibit. i was also told on various occassions that my scans were clear when in actual fact every scan when looked at by my consultant showed severe scarring and damage. im not saying you have kidney disease but dont give up, ask to be referred and keep nagging! I wish you all the luck and i feel your pain, stay strong x
    • Posted

Thank you everyone :-) i really appreciate all your advise and help. I will let you know how it goes x
  • Posted

Hi,

How did you get on today? when will you have your blood results?let us know

x

• Posted

Hi Helen, i had bloods done last week and a few came back borderline and my liver came backcand read at 164 but it should be between 7 and 42 :-/ i had to go back to the doctors today for more bloods and i have my ultrasound on the 23rd so things are moving. Thanks for asking. Hope your ok x
  • Posted

Hi,

i am glad things are moving along, hopefully you are closer to a diagnosis.  I will keeo my fingers crossed. I'm good thank you.  keep me informed x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.