Kidney pain relief after lasering and stent pain

Posted , 46 users are following.

Hello. I just wanted to tell of my own experience. After laser procedure for kidney stone removal I found that this time I was in a lot of pain. The hospital gave me morphine and paracetamol but that didn't even touch the agony I was in. They then suggested Voltarol suppositories. (Diclofenac Sodium) not oral tablets. OMG did that work wonders. Just thought I would flag this up as I was in so much pain. Would like others to know that really helped me. Did anyone else find a good pain reliever??

A

2 likes, 75 replies

75 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

My husband also had hyperthyroidism. He had successful surgery in Florida. This year he discovered he had kidney stones. I thought they were from taking all the calcium after wards. The center said no that wasn't the case. He is having a procedure next week. I hope it all goes well.

• Posted

I had been on opiod pain killers consistently for 2 years due to a rough heart surgery recoperation and had built up a tolerence. Had an 8mm stone stuck at the junction of the uereter and bladder with lots of fluid backup. It was lazered out and pigtail stint put in. Went to er that night in excruciating 10/10 screaming pain from bladder and uereter spasms arount the stint. Felt like a knife in me being twisted. They gave me, percoset, then morphine, then dilaudid. I felt nothing but a nauseosness along with the intense pain. Someone recomended torodol, 15 minutes later i could breath again, 30 minutes later i was sound asleep with very little pain. At home i took 600 mg ibuprofin every 6 hours for weeks. Those were the only things that really helped.
  • Posted

I more than feel your pain! I have had dull right flank pain off and on for a while so I knew it wouldn't be long than 5am at work (of course a weekend) I had to leave. Straight to ER. CT showed 8mm stone lodged in upper third of ureter. Lots of morphine and Toradol and zofran. Saw Dr on Tuesday because of course monday was a holiday. Planned to do lithotripsy and stent on friday. A KUB prior to surgery showed stone moved down and he actually couldn't see it. Had option of putting surgery off a few days and see or go ahead. I was like ya, you're going ahead. Ended up seeing stone near bottom of ureter. Did a little laser and basket extraction. He decided no stent. 2 days later back In office. Same pain. Told to watch. By wednesday i was back in ER and had Passed a large long skinny clot (looked like what may have been stuck in ureter causing hydronephrosis. Another CT scan showed small fragment in right ureter. Taken back to surgery. Stent placed this time. Stent is driving me crazy! Feels like I have to pee all the time. Also my urine in the ER last visit showed UTI with e coli. Not sure how that happened since original ER visit I was put on percocet and hadn't pooped in 5 days! I took 5 dulcolax tablets on tuesday, hoping cleared out before surgery. Nope. It took 2 1/2 days for them to work! Then I had diarrhea so so bad! (Felt better in the end). So just and FYI........if given strong pain meds, DON'T, for l the love of god, don't forget to begin using stool softeners or miralax. You'll thank me later!

• Posted

In addition, I had had same issue with stones 18 years ago. This time though I was placed under anesthetic on day for stent for temporary relief. A day or 2 later when lithotripsy machine available at larger hospital, I was again sedated for that. Had so much debris that my stent was plugged like cement. So again a day later under anesthetic again for replacement of stent. 3 times under in 5 days. Lots of invasion to my body. So of course a day after last procedure I had temp of 105. Chills. Headache. Noise and light sensitivity. Ended up back in hospital and even had spinal tap to check for meningitis. Ended up with diagnosis of fever of unknown origin. I say it was my body saying enough!
    • Posted

Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry to hear all this! I hope it's all ok now? I'm fine touch wood after my laser and basket surgery and parathyroid extraction. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for me and you, and anyone else out there suffering with stones and stents. The pain was unbearable !! I just wanted it to stop! That's why I had to tell everyone about Voltarol suppositories. They were such relief for me! Morphine didn't even touch the pain. All it did was make me throw up and nauseous.

Good luck to anyone with stent and stones right now. I feel for you!! Xx

• Posted

Hi everyone. I am glad I am not the only one going through this. My case is a little different as I am 22 weeks pregnant. I have had a history of kidney stones and I've passed two but those experiences were nothing like this. I was in pain for a few hours, threw up a few times, blood in urine, and pain went away. I never saw the stones. Around 3am Wednesday morning I woke up in agonizing pain which I thought was gas pain. I took gas X and tried to push through the pain for over two hours until I couldn't take it any longer. My husband brought me to the hospital and they told me I had blood in my urine and I am probably passing a kidney stone. I can not have X rays done when I'm pregnant so they could only go off of an ultrasound. The ultrasound confirmed hydronephrosis. I was put on saline for 24 hours with morphine every two hours and Benadryl to sleep. They decided to put a stent in the following day. I thought this would relieve my pain but I am still in terrible pain three days later. When I urinate it feels like I am being stabbed in the kidney. It is even worse at night. I am taking Norco 10's every four hours, Flomax once a day, and Benadryl for sleep. I can't take ibuprofen because I'm pregnant. I know that would help substantially with the inflammation. The urologist said he had resistance with the stent. That's the only method they can go off of for placement because they can't actually see where the stone is. I am a waitress and I have not been back to work. I can barely walk down the stairs to get water or food without feeling pain. Does anyone know how long this lasts and is it normal to still have pain like this three days after the stent procedure? If the stone doesn't pass I'll have to have the stent removed and a new stent put in every two to three weeks because pregnancy and prenatal vitamins cause the stent to calcify quicker. My OB and urologist are especially concerned about me getting a kidney infection because that can send me into preterm labor. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• Posted

When did the urination pain go away? Like a day? And did any meds help? Tyelonol helps me for the other pains but nothing seems to help for the urination pain.
  • Posted

Dr gave me some narco ..acethomo.(something).That helped me in night for sleeping...Besides that AZO helped me tremendously for urine passing pain.
    • Posted

I was wonderinf if I can take AZO while pregnant. I have a prescription for it from the last time I passed a kidney stone but I wasn't pregnant then. The Norco help a little bit but they don't take the kidney pain away. Every time I pee it feels like someone is stabbing me in my kidney.

• Posted

For pregnancy you must be careful before taking AZO.

The I had kidney pain while peeing when Stent is ON. I researched on that, It is either stent is sucking the urine out of kidney and creating pressure or dropping the uring back in kidney.

My solution is when peeing... once pain trigger...Stop pee..and do it again.It's hard but it relieved my pain by start pause and start technique..

• Posted

I'll tell my daughter. She has spasms, chills,  nausea and vomiting after peeing as well as elevated temperature. ( not a fever) After 3 days the spasms only lasted 10 minutes and now the spasms areback up to an hour. 

Dr telling us to tough it out! 

• Posted

How long did it take for the urine passing pain to pass?? I'm desperate

• Posted

So, I had a lithotripsy done last Thursday, had a stent placed and had it removed today. It's been about 6 hours and I am in the most extreme pain I've ever been in. My entire abdomen! I want to pass out its gotten so bad. I took 2 hydrocodone and 2 Aleve and it's not helped at all! It's making me think something could be wrong? Idk if I should go to the er or wait it out till tomorrow... I guess alot of y'all have had this experience?

• Posted

Hi,

Did you also try the Voltarol Suppositories? Hubby just had the Lithotripsy done yesterday. In so much pain was going to try it. I hope your pain has resided otherwise i would head back to the ER.

Thanks,

J

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.