Kidney pain relief after lasering and stent pain

Posted , 46 users are following.

Hello. I just wanted to tell of my own experience. After laser procedure for kidney stone removal I found that this time I was in a lot of pain. The hospital gave me morphine and paracetamol but that didn't even touch the agony I was in. They then suggested Voltarol suppositories. (Diclofenac Sodium) not oral tablets. OMG did that work wonders. Just thought I would flag this up as I was in so much pain. Would like others to know that really helped me. Did anyone else find a good pain reliever??

A

2 likes, 75 replies

75 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Angela,

I can't find anyone local that has these Voltarol suppositories.  Did you also try the tablets?  We have tablets.  How often did you take them?  My husband had the laser procedure yesterday and is so much pain especially urinating.  He is on Norco every 4 hours for now.  

Thank you,

J

Jolynn 

• Posted

I had a stent put in over a week ago and it still hurts so bad.only time it doesn't hurt is when Im laying down and still kind of hurts then. Im also still peeing alot of blood and it hurts really bad to urinate. Theres so much pressure down there i keep having bowl movements. Anyone else experience this?

• Posted

Jeannie,

I experienced the same thing about a week and a half after I had my stent put in. It only lasted a a couple days and then I felt back to normal. Well that part felt normal. I'm still in pain from the stent. It'll be 3 weeks ago tomorrow I had it put in. Friday I'm going in for Ureteroscopy and then they are putting a new stent in. That should be fun. I hate how the Drs. Downplay the pain that comes with these stents.

• Posted

I'm on day 3 of stent placement. I'm in so much pain when I pee as well!! Geezus it's unbelievable and I won't get it removed for 2 weeks!

• Posted

Hang in there Amanda. I know exactly what you're going through. I had a stent for 4 weeks total. I was in a lot of pain and could not work. One thing I can tell you is it's normal and you just have to grind it out. Did they give you any meds? When I left the hospital after they put the first stent in they sent me home with no pain meds except for that pressure in your bladder but nothing else. They never told me the stent was going to hurt! And they never told me there would be blood in my urine as long as I had the stent in. Let me reassure you literally minutes after it was removed I had instant relief. So there is light at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully you can get good pain meds to help you through it. I've heard many times the stent is far more painful than the kidney stone itself.

• Posted

Yes, I just had a stent removed after having it in for 7 weeks. Same as you, the only relief was laying down. I could barely do anything. I had the stone lasered on Thursday and new stent put in. This time a short stent with a catheter at the bladder end. It's only been one day since the surgery but the stent is ok, can't feel it. But kidney pain is bad. Got some relief from tramadol and panadol. Hope you are OK now. Best wishes.

• Posted

How long did the pain while urination last for you? It hurts soo much when I pee sad.

• Posted

Hi Laura, stent pain while peeing last till stent is pulled out. Stent pull out is easy have Dr. Do it if possible. They downplay pain after make sure to take 3 Advilsv or whatever works for you.
    • Posted

Wow thank you so much for replying!! Does it hurt to pull out the stent? My doctor told me to do it myself.

Also does advil actually help with the urination pain or just general pains? I took tylenol, but it only seemed to help with other pain, not urination pain specifically. I have to keep the stent in for three days and I'm totally dreading having to go to the bathroom for the next three days (sorry if that's tmi). I might just not drink water or very little until Monday.

• Posted

No have dr do it! So terrible they tell us to do it. But should take Advil b4 stent removal a little pain after. Then Advil through the night. The RN should be able to get you right in for this procedure. Need to drink water to pass the debri.
    • Posted

Hi Laura! Sorry only just seen this. I have another stent in now as we talk!! I can't believe I've got another stone stuck two years later ?? Anyway, the hurting to pee is only whilst the stent is in. I've been lucky this time; the stent isn't hurting me this time. Different completely from before. I don't know how you are meant to remove it yourself tho?! Do you have a string to pull. I don't you see. And I advise asking the dr to tell you to COUGH at the moment of retrieval!!! This helps millions as it releases your muscles. Top tip that is. A great dr did that for me. Also I found Voltarol suppository the best to kill the pain. Good luck! Xxx

• Posted

I've had 2 lithotripsies & now laser with stent placement. I've been in excruciating pain when I go to the bathroom. It feels like I'm peeing hot coals or knives & then a stabbing type pain in my left side ( I'm sure in my left kidney) I've called the Drs office & all they tell me to do is drink more water, which I've been doing & take the Urabel. He gave me Percocet the day of the procedure but I've taken them all by now. I've noticed several of you talk about Voltarol Suppositories. Do they really work & does it help with the urination pain? Thanks!!

• Posted

Sorry to hear so, I had the most severe pain in my life two weeks back while I was in business trip too the states. I fell down on the ground and headed to ended up in the ER. doctor knew it and asked for CT scan, blood test and urinalysis. I had a 7 mm stone stick at the UPJ between the kidney and bladder. I was fixed tramadol and order drugs. The thing is that i was supposed to fly back to Saudi in couple of days while the urologist advised to do laser it with a stent to avoid the hit of pain on the long flight.

Finally i had it lasered two days ago and the stent is awful. I still have blood in my urine and it hurts like he'll.

Doctor told me it only takes up to two days until my body adapts to the stent and should take it out in five days from now.

I am teething different pain killers, ibuprofen, naprox, oxycodone and diclofenac sodium.

Non is making me feel better.

What do you suggest me to do

• Posted

Hi I realize that this thread is sorta old but here goes, I had a 9mm kidney stone Monday and had it lasers and stent put in on Wednesday and it has been worse than child birth. The Dr told me I could remove it myself today, I did so and removal didn't hurt but I'm still "achy" feeling on my right side of my lower stomach to my back and I still feel the urgency to pee. At what point should I be concerned and head to the ER?

• Posted

Hi Brandy so sorry to hear the pain you are having . I know that drinking lots of water helped me and voltarol suppositories also for pain relief .

Jacqui

• Posted

I had surgery Wednesday the 26th and couldn't stand the stent pain any longer so DR removed on Friday. I had hoped pain would subside but it hasnt. Thought it could be lack of bowel movement so took laxatives and did an enema and got some movement there but still have so much bladder pain and lots of bleeding. At what point is something considered wrong? How long should my bladder hurt? I can hardly put two sentences together through the pain. Dr never said anything like this would occur.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.