Kidney pain & rising Creatinine

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I'm having ongoing kidney pain for the past year.

I do not have a bladder or kidney infection at the moment, but I was having recurring infections after Radical Prostatectomy (year ago) which also caused two bladder neck strictures. Kidney pain started around that time.

At the moment I only have a 1mm stone in the left kidney which I presume should not cause pain

6 months ago I had a 6mm right kidney stone that blocked the Urethrer causing a blood infection, after stent and stone removal the pain reduced but did not go away.

I've had two Renograms (Mag-3)done over the past 2 months showing 67/33% kidney function.

Is overall kidney function based on the higher percentage ie. 67% 

Creatinine is now 132umol/l (GFR 52)

December 117umol/l (GFR 58)

November 109 (GFR 63)

I'm surprised at the rate of Creatinine increase as I've reduced sugar intake, the BP is now normal with recent meds, I'm not overweight, don't drink or smoke, I drink about 7 pints of water per day.

I'm wondering if this 20% Creatinine increase is due in part to the Mag3 scan die?

I'm awaiting appointment with Nephrologist.

I was told if kidney pain is due to inflammation it would show up in the blood markers?

I notice kidney pain is worse from using the Jacuzzi or steam room after the gym, I presume it's from the heat?

James

0 likes, 21 replies

Report / Delete

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

James, what are the "recent meds" that you refer to?  some BP meds cause cause an increase in Creatinine - they have for me, particularly the ARB's I believe.  I'm told that they expect to see a rise in creatinine when on some of the BP meds. However, the consistent drop in your eGFR over just 2-3 months does warrant further investigation and it sounds as though you are being well monitored.  James,

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

In my case, my creatinine has increased from below 90 to 123 as a side effect of the BP meds.  As we are all different in how we respond to medication, I would think it could vary from person to person.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

MrsO, that was a big creatinine increase how long did it take to reach 123. Did it return to normal when you came off the BP meds?

I notice on my blood results that RBC, HGB, HCT are all border line low and Lymphocytes Abs border line high ..I guess its still regarded as normal?

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

James, as my raised creatinine was originally as a result of BP medication, it occurred very shortly after starting certain medication.  I am not able to come off the BP meds because I have high BP in spite of the meds.  The creatinine varies depending on which BP pill I'm on at the time - I'm being switched repeatedly either because of my intolerance or because of lack of effect on BP.  I'm an "awkward patient", according  my consultant (I tell him it's my body not me!) so please don't take me as an example. Plus, of course, we are all different and will present with different symptoms and respond differently to medication.  As for your other blood test results being border line low and/or borner line high, that is really something you need to discuss with those treating you.  

By the way, you might be wise to take a break from the jacuzzi and the steam room whilst you have this kidney issue going on - I have just had a sole kidney since childhood, and many years ago I was told to avoid such things because of the risk of dehydration.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I spoke briefly with the Nephrologist on the phone, he said as the CT scan shows no restriction in the kidneys, the rise in Creatinine is therefore from something else. He also stated it's not from Amlodipine, not sure how he came to that conclusion. My appointment with him is in 2 weeks

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks MrsO,

The nephrologist also said kidney function is 60% ..based on CT scan resuts which showed 67/33% function ..I don't know how he arrived at 60%? When I mentioned about recent Creatinine results of 132umol/l GFR 52 he still reverted back to 60% function ..I guess he only wanted to comment on data he had to hand.

My Uro said kidney pain could be due to narrowing of the urethrer or kidney inflammation.

I find pain is now more so in the back, rather than the flank pain. Is Paracetamol the safest option to use?

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yes, James, Paracetamol is the recommended painkiller for us kidney patients. Ibuprofen, Aspirin and all effervescent products are to be avoided according to the guidelines from the NKF. I learnt about Ibuprofen to my cost some years ago. Just a quick reply as I'm knee-deep in last minute arrangements for a support group meeting I'm running tomorrow, but hope this helps to answer your question and, more importantly, that the Paracetamol helps with your pain.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks MrsO,

Recent blood results now show Creatinine has dropped from 132 to 92 and eGFR reading is >60 which is great. That's in the space of 3 weeks and the only thing I have been taking that is idifferent is nettle tea, Vit D, & Magnesium can they effect Creatinine levels?

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Wow!  James, excellent results.  Your creatine is now only two points above what is considered within normal range which is 49.00 t 90.00 umol/L.  And your eGFR above 60 would be accepted as normal - at least most of my friends of advancing years record a figure of 60 and none of them have kidney problems.  

As to whether nettle tea, Vit D or magnesium can affect creatinine levels, I wouldn't know from experience.  However, according to an NHS website, Vit D is believed to show an improvement in systolic blood pressure in some people.  Magnesium is also supposed to be helpful with blood pressure.  

I am advised to take a Vit D3 supplement for 3 months every winter, and as I am wondering whether my frequent chest/cold infections might be due to a Vit D deficiency, I asked for a Vit D blood test.  The result shows I am deficient with a reading of 48 (normal 75-150), and that is after 5 weeks of the D3 supplement, so goodness knows how low it was before taking it. 

Interestingly, my latest creatinine blood test result is 116, which is a drop from 119 at the last test and 123 at the previous test.  So that could possibly point to the 5 weeks on the Vit D supplement helping, which might answer your question regarding your creatinine levels and your inclusion of Vit D.

Anyway, something you are doing is proving successful for you so just keep doing it!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi MrsO,

The Nephrologist is happy with the recent blood results showing the drop in Creatinine down to normal range. Vimovo may not have helped the Creatinine levels, I had not been taking it regularly and I stopped taking it about a month ago. Since then my Creatinine dropped from 132 to 92umol/l.

I was still concerned about the 33% function in one of the kidneys but as he says it's the bloods that count and to check the bloods again over the next 3 months and stated the flank pain was not kidney related but probably muscular or skeletal but I think it is kidney related as it has reduced since the bloods came back to normal.

So I was relieved with the result.

Thank you for your help.

James

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi James, 

I am glad your appointment went well and that your creatinine has dropped, this figure is the most important and accurate one as a GFR is only a best guess.  Creatinine is what they use.  I hope everything comtinues in this good direction for you.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks Helen,

The only thing I did not understand was why he thought the flank pain is not kidney related as the kidney pain never went away after the kidney stone and stent removal and it actually got worse a months ago which tied in with the increase in Creatinine at the time.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi,

Sometimes it is easier to pass it off as somethiing else, what I will say is that you know your body and how you feel better than anyone.  So my advice would be if you carry on getting the pain keep raising it until you get an answer if you keeo brining the issue up then it will have to be looked into, pain is the bodies way of letting you know something isn't right so keep on at them.

Report / Delete Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up