Kidney pain & rising Creatinine

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I'm having ongoing kidney pain for the past year.

I do not have a bladder or kidney infection at the moment, but I was having recurring infections after Radical Prostatectomy (year ago) which also caused two bladder neck strictures. Kidney pain started around that time.

At the moment I only have a 1mm stone in the left kidney which I presume should not cause pain

6 months ago I had a 6mm right kidney stone that blocked the Urethrer causing a blood infection, after stent and stone removal the pain reduced but did not go away.

I've had two Renograms (Mag-3)done over the past 2 months showing 67/33% kidney function.

Is overall kidney function based on the higher percentage ie. 67% 

Creatinine is now 132umol/l (GFR 52)

December 117umol/l (GFR 58)

November 109 (GFR 63)

I'm surprised at the rate of Creatinine increase as I've reduced sugar intake, the BP is now normal with recent meds, I'm not overweight, don't drink or smoke, I drink about 7 pints of water per day.

I'm wondering if this 20% Creatinine increase is due in part to the Mag3 scan die?

I'm awaiting appointment with Nephrologist.

I was told if kidney pain is due to inflammation it would show up in the blood markers?

I notice kidney pain is worse from using the Jacuzzi or steam room after the gym, I presume it's from the heat?

James

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi,

To answer your GFR question, your overall GFR would be the 52%. As your GFR drops your creatinine will rise.  I would not worry too much as 132 is quite low still.  When I went on dialysis mine was 680 just to help ease your worry a bit.  It is doubtful the die would cause the rise nor will the fact you have stopped eating as much suger.  Like Mrs O says certain BP meds can effect your GFR thus effecting your creatinine as explained.

The fact you have been referred to a neph is a good thing as they will carry out more tailored investigations for your kidneys.

I don't know why you have pain but perhaps the neph can help with this.  I do hope that you get to the bottom of this issue soon.  Please keep us updated with your progress.

• Posted

Thank you for that information.

Yes, I understand it's low I was just wondering what was causing the sudden rise in Creatinine. I read that with Mag-3 scans they only give 50% rate of die in severe kidney damage cases ..so I presume there is some risk involved.

James

• Posted

Hi Helen54849,

I spoke briefly on the phone with Nephrologist, he said kidney function is 60% ..based on CT scan resuts which showed 67/33% function ..I don't know how he arrived at 60%? When I mentioned about recent Creatinine results of 132umol/l GFR 52 he still reverted back to 60% function ..I guess he only wanted to comment on data he had to hand.

My Uro said kidney pain could be due to narrowing of the urethrer or kidney inflammation.

My Nephrologist app is in 2 weeks.

I find pain is now more so in the back under the ribs rather than the flank pain. Paracetamol seems to be the safest to use?

• Posted

Hi,

What usually happens when creatinine rises your GFR drops 132 is a little high but not drastic (mine has been 680 and a GFR of 6%) If you know you have a GFR of 52% then someone has told you that at some point for you to have the information and I would say comparing it to my figures (I have patient view, plus my hospital is really good at including me) that the creatinine and GFR you have quoted is pretty much what it is looking at those figures when my creatinine was 133 in October my GFR was 38.  Last week my creatinine was 84 and my GFR is 65% (I had my transplant is Septemnber and things are just starting to settle now for me).

Paracetamol is the way to go no ibuprofen or related products for you. If you are really struggling co codamol is ok but I wouldn't recommend long term use.  Your pain is there for a reason to let let you know something isn't quite right but I am sure that will be investigated.  I have Alports so never had any pain in the kidneys.  Please keep us posted on how you get along smile

• Posted

Thanks Helen,

I did not get the GFR level from a consultant, I was just using one of those online GFR calculators based on creatinine levels, perhaps they are not accurate?

I will stay with the Paracetamol.

I have my first Nephrologist appointment next week.

James

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.