Kidney stone questions

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello I am brand new to this forum, I am doing this through my phone so please forgive any typos.

I was doing a search on the internet for kidney stone pain and some threads came up from this site, I hope I am posting in the right spot.

I am male 40 years old, this morning I woke up with a incredibly painful pressure pain in my lower back, the pressure and pain only increased as time went by. I started feeling sick to my stomach and sweeting.

Wife had to take me to the E.R. they did a urine test that showed blood and a cat scan that shows a 5.7 mm kidney stone on my left side. I forget what it's called but the stone is in the tube between the kidney and bladder almost halfway to the bladder the Dr said.

The er Dr said anything under 6mm will pass on their own, is this true? He gave me some pain meds and some tamsulosin.

I have never had one of these before, can someone please tell me how bad this is going to hurt when it finally comes out? Are there any warning signs before it comes out? How long does it normally take?

I am supposed to drink lots of water and pee through a strainer.

Any information would be really helpful, thanks.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Everyone is different. Some people can pass a 6mm stone and some people can't pass a 4mm stone. It also depends on how swollen and traumatized your ureter is at this point. If it's inflamed, it may not let the stone pass. Honestly, you should get yourself an appointment with a urologist ASAP and have him look at your scan. ER doctors don't always know what they are talking about.

One of our fellow members recently went through a similar experience with a smaller stone and he eventually had to have a procedure to remove it. Maybe if he sees this post, he can give you some insight because his experience turned into a nightmare and he may have some suggestions on how to avoid what he went through.

The largest I have passed on my own is 4mm. I went to the ER and later found out that there were four 4mm stones that came out at the same time, so not sure if that was why it was so extremely painful because I went home with hydrocodone and Flomax to pass the last two 4mm's and I barely felt them pass (though I'm sure the meds helped the process).

Usually water and activity would be recommended to help it along...but the size of that stone sounds iffy to me. I'm not comfortable with the doctors advice because it could get/be stuck and cause more problems. Urologists are specialized in this and are more likely to have a better idea of whether you can pass this or need help getting it out.

• Posted

Hello sir,

I have only dealt with one stone back in Oct/Nov. My pain started just like yours and with the same exact symptoms. Unfortunately, my stone (4-5mm) would not pass as it got stuck in the ureter at the distal junction(where the ureter enters the bladder). This opening becomes narrower naturally at the junction and, in my case, I had some scar tissue there from a kidney infection I had as a kid. After 5 weeks of hell, I had to have an operation to blast it apart. Yes, people pass 6mm stones all the time. Since I did not pass mine on my own, I can't speak to the pain of it. Only that I've heard it is painful. I've also heard that once it enters the bladder, you will know it. I was told that once it is in the ureter(where yours is), it can pass in a week or less(usually less), and may pass spontaneously way sooner than that. Once in the bladder, the end is nigh! The key is to chug water by the gallon! Every day! If it doesn't pass in a few days, or the pain becomes worse, then go back to the ER. Did you get Zofran for nausea? It's a life-saver. It dissolves under your tongue, so it works immediately to relieve the nausea. Honestly, 2 days before I had the operation, I spent 16 hours on the floor of my bathroom preparing to vomit, and trying not to pass out from immense pain, wishing like hell it would just come out! My wife took me to the ER again after that and they dosed me with drugs and I was semi-conscious and absolutely blissful! Best I had felt in 5 weeks. Next day was the operation. Wish I had known it was stuck! Not trying to scare you, just saying, don't wait if the pain goes on and on. Since, it was my 1st stone, I just figured what I was experiencing was normal. For me, it came in "episodes". 1-4 hours at a time with symptoms like yours, with days in between where I felt fine. But the last episode was so much worse than the others because it was stuck. Again not trying to scare you. You will probably pass it! Drink lots of water and keep us posted about what happens.

• Posted

Take his advice because he knows so much more about the situation you are in (I was hoping he would share his perspective). I've either had small stones or huge ones that required sedated procedures and relied on my urologist for the big ones. Don't suffer unnecessarily trying to pass it though. If it's really bad, get to the ER so they can ease it and help it finish the trip to the bladder.

• Posted

Wow, well mine is not that size, but, I have been dealing with kidney stones for 10 years, at least 2 a year. I'm not going to sugar coat it, but they do hurt and can bring you to your knees. Good luck and take your meds.

• Posted

Thank you for the responses. How hard is it to get the stone through the prostate? I have to wait on the referral for the urologist. I am worried about getting it through the prostate the most i guess. Whole situation scares me.
    • Posted

I obviously have too much time on my hands today because I'm posting all over the place. From what I have read and heard, unless your prostate is enlarged, it shouldn't interfere with the passing. And I've never heard any men on the forums discussing it as an area of concern. But if someone knows otherwise, please enlighten me. I'm learning something new about these wretched stones all the time.

• Posted

Men with enlarged prostates have trouble urinating because the enlarged prostate constricts the urethra. They are given tamsulosin because it dilates the urethra, thereby making it easier to urinate. In the case of a kidney stone, dilating the urethra may help pass it more easily. They gave me tamsulosin too, but I don't have an enlarged prostate, so it's just a case of using the same medication for a different plumbing malady. So unless you have been told that your prostate is enlarged, then I wouldn't worry. I was told specifically that passing through the prostate doesn't cause any additional problems or pain other than the pain it will already be causing in the urethra(sorryrolleyes) Speaking of that....I don't want to sound insensitive and make you feel like a science experiment, but if/when you pass it, I would be really interested to hear how it went and the level of pain you experienced. In case I have another stone someday. So far, your story has been the most similar to my own. Take care!

• Posted

Thanks for the response, I have to contact the urologist tomorrow, my family doctors thinks they will have to zap it since it's stuck in the center of the kidney, it's been stuck since October of this year and flares up. I can let you know how painful it is, lol, 😨.

• Posted

Thank you for the responses. That dreaded pain happens again last night and sent me to the E.R. once again. They didn't want to do another cat scan so soon, but did so after wife and I insisted. The stone is 5.7mm. It has not moved when compared to first scan. What a nightmare.

• Posted

Sorry to hear that. Yes, the pain gets terrible. Since I had my pain meds filled yesterday, I've been taking them like clock work. Back to work today, I'm a second shifter, so as of 11am, regular ivenproven will have to do. I wish you well, keep me posted.

• Posted

So, did they tell you to just keep drinking water even though it hasn't moved?

• Posted

Same as before drink plenty of fluid and follow up with a urologist. Referral is only thing I am waiting on.
    • Posted

Ugh....referrals....one of the many problems with healthcare systems. You should be able to call up a urologist any time you feel like it. We can't even have a modicum of control over our own health. It's like, "Gee, my life's on hold and I'm in the worst pain ever, but take your time, let me know". Sorry for the rant. I don't even know if waiting on the referral is bothering you. Well, it doesn't have to, because it's bothering me on your behalf lol!

• Posted

My urologist is not available until after the 2nd of January? So, hopefully it calms down. My urologist has me drinking 16 oz of water with lemon slices in it everyday, instead of the kidney stone getting smaller, it has almost doubled in size since October

Lol, I have to start laughing at this point. Good luck to all!

• Posted

**update**

I had another episode last night. Wife went to do some last minute Christmas shopping I was alone when it happend.

This time I had to call 911 and ask for a ambulance. ( I ask for a ambulance they send a fire truck ) once checked out by the fire dept they radioed for the ambulance.

Ambulance guys were great, iv enroute with a dose of morphine. Got to the er and same old story at the er even though it was a different er doc.

Wife picked me up brought me home. Very early this morning I started having a urge to lee that wouldn't go away even after peeing.

I continued drinking water and barley pending when I did go, then I went pee and at the end of the stream I felt a Sharp stabbing pain in the area of my prostate. This pain continued no matter how I sat or laid down.

Felt like someone pulling a razor through the prostate. Eventually I had to pee again ..... excruciating pain once I started, then the stone came out into the strainer.

I have a picture of it and named it "bob". I don't know how to post pics on here but the stone was very jagged and nasty looking.

Thanks for all your help, hopefully my experience will be educational for others.

• Posted

Congratulations on the delivery of hopefully your one and only child. Keep that stone and make sure you still see the urologist. Unfortunately, the chances of having another are very high once you have one. The urologist needs to have it analyzed since there are different kinds and he will probably want to run a 24 hour urine collection to determine what is going on and if you need to make certain dietary changes, add certain supplements or simply increase your water intake to a level that makes it unpalatable (if you even loved it in the first place...I did, now it's the bane of my life trying to get over 100oz a day). I think some stones (like uric acid stones) have medications you can take to treat or prevent, but most of us suffer from calcium oxylate, which has a boat load of conflicting prevention information all over the place. Don't eat this, actually do eat that. Eat that with this or never eat that. Increase this, decrease that. But mainly they tell us to drink a gallon of water a day and preferably more. But I'm happy for you that this stage of the nightmare is over and hope you are one of the lucky ones that never endure it again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.