Knee

Posted , 16 users are following.

I regret have a new replacement surgery I seem to be in more pain now than I was before the surgery and even more sleepless nights 

before the surgery I have pain in one spot after surgery I have paint my ankle my calf my knee my knee is still numb my leg is still half numb my calf is killing me I'm having shooting pain tingling pain's 

I know I'm only at eight weeks I am so discouraged my physical therapy is over Ontario you only get six visits I am doing my exercises and stretching at home but pain is unbearable sometimes I hope there is light at the end of the tunnel I hope I don't have to wait a year like some people are telling me the doctor never told me this 

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

No the doctors don't usually tell us the worst that may occur. Most people do not have knee replacements unless they are desperate. Please give it time. Take prescribed drugs for pain. Do some light exercise like ride a stationary bike or pool walking. See you Doctor if you tell you are not progressing. Recovery takes time. It just does.

• Posted

Hi Bosco

I am so sorry you are in a lot of pain. It is all the other good people on this site that can give you encouragement. I am pinning all my hopes on everyone else's ultimate success which doesn't seem to happen quickly and certainly not at 8 weeks for most.

I too am eight weeks past a partial so was hopeful I would be much better than I am. Like you I am in far more pain than before the operation but hope and pray it will get much better whereas the arthritis pain before was only ever going to get worse.

i am in the UK and have only 6 physio visits but do my exercises religiously every day. Sleeping is also an issue because after about 2 hours I must move and hurt my knee.

I know this is probably not helping but you are not on your own. My doctor said by 12 weeks I would be fine and able to walk miles. Unless a miracle happens in the next 3 weeks I can't see my one mile or so and most of that in agony, reaching any better distance soon.

It is a real shame we are not well informed with the truth, the doctors seem to make out its worse case scenario to take a long time, whereas I think unfortunately it is the norm.

Perhaps you should see your doctor about your pains, I'm no expert but it may just be the be the nerves knitting together. My calf was hurting a lot and I thought it might me muscular, I just kept massaging it like a cramp until it got better.

Basically our bodies have done nothing for at least 2 months (in my case 4 as I was injured) so all the muscles have gone to pieces.

Dont be discouraged, it does seem to be a hard road. I am trying to be cheerful.

Good luck

• Posted

Don't worry Bosco and don't feel down and discouraged.  There is a light at the end of the tunnel.  Recovery can take up to 2 years and has ups and downs.  Also many times along the way that you'll feel heaps better!.  You've got ages before there's any need to feel concerned.

Increase your exercise regime every day and you'll get stronger and improve more. Start hydrotherapy.  There are many exercises that you can find online.  

Also to add that 8 weeks out from a TKR is so early in your recovery, don't worry!  lol

Decrease your medication regime as soon as you feel able.

Exercise as much as you can, while not overdoing it, but very important to push on. 

• Posted

What 2 years.omg   No one has said that . I do realize I had major surgery I wasn't prepared I guess for this doctor should tell you the truth 

• Posted

Up to 2 years only.  You'll have plenty of feeling better many days, many weeks, many months before that. You'll also have plenty of times that you feel like your recovery is surging ahead. My last TKR was only 3 months ago and I'm feeling great!  Can take brisk walks for 40 minutes, do cardio on the exercise bike.  Just go with it and I bet you'll be feeling great before you know it!

• Posted

and just to add - you just had major surgery, it's quite normal that you're in more pain than you were in prior surgery.  It's a huge operation.  I promise you, it's worth it.  

• Posted

I will hold you to that statement Cheryl 😂😀 I hope it's worth it.💕

• Posted

The only way is up (Yazz & The Plastic Population) check it out on youtube for some neverending "the only way is up" LOL Laugh often and well! 

• Posted

The docs told tell anybody anything.  Eight weeks is still very early.  Keep on keeping on.  A lot of people see big differences at 3, 6 and 9 months.  Yes, it usually takes a year but by then you will likely be past the brutal pain of the first 3 months.  Eat healthy, hydrate, do your exercises.  It will all get better...  Stay strong...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-and-ptsd-569521

• Posted

I know that that you don't feel this way, but you are still in the very early stages. 6 weeks is sort of the 1st benchmark with some phases behind you but 13 weeks should be the next the next one. Good, honest Drs will tell you the knee owns you the 1st year and then you start to own it. So often said but easily forgotten, this is a marathon not a sprint. The rehabbing slope is a gentle one with a few bumps and level spots along the way. I don't claim to be an expert but 11 surgeries and 5 complete rehab sort of puts me in the upper echelon of the amateur status. I have never had 2 go the same way. The last time a staph infection caused the entire prosthesis to be removed and left me immobilized with a spacer, banging around on a walker, taking care of a spouse with advanced Parkinson's disease, for 4 months (no bending, toe touch weight bearing) before getting my 3rd and hopefully final prosthesis. I will never have full use of the leg nor will I be pain free but I keep on exercising and moving hoping for improvement. The main thing is to know your limits. Excercise daily but don't put yourself in the deep pain because doing th a t will prevent you from exercising. Up your intake of water. Acdehydrated body just will it heal properly. My family calls me an aquaholic. Right now I'm fighting two kidney stones (thank God we don't have 3 kidneys or I would probably have 3) and I have increased my water intake even more. Strange thing, my leg feels better even though my back and groin area are on fire (they put in a stent 2

weeks ago and that increases the pain).

Just stay with the program but rest often and long. The entire body was violated, not just the knee and everything has to heal together.

One of the unexpected consequences of tkr is a lesson in patience. It will bring even the most aggressive personality in line.

Were all rooting for you

• Posted

I was told by my surgeon: The first month you will hate me, the second month you will hate your PT.  I am 4 months out and life is so much better than before surgery. I too suffered with lower leg and ankle pain both before and after surgery due to how my knee affected my walking.

Everyone complains of difficulty sleeping.  It will get better about month 3, at least it did for me. Do your exercises and stretches at least 5 times a day, walking, let your knee be a knee.  Ice at least 4 times a day and take anti inflammatories.

Good luck.  It will get better in time.

• Posted

I too had and still have moments of regret, but I'm 12 weeks out and feeling better and I'm much more positive since I discovered this blog .  I've resented the fact that none of my friends shared with me how very long this recovery would last.  Take your pain pills, give it your best effort and time and patience will help you.  Best wishes and stay tuned to this blog!

• Posted

Bosco, I am having sciatic pain after my surgery. Pain does go from my knee down to my ankle. It is worse than the surgical pain. I received good advice from Chico on this site to see a chiropractor. He has dealt with this several times.  I have an appt. with my neurologist and will be asking about this. I hope this helps! Best wishes in your recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.