Knee

Posted , 16 users are following.

I regret have a new replacement surgery I seem to be in more pain now than I was before the surgery and even more sleepless nights 

before the surgery I have pain in one spot after surgery I have paint my ankle my calf my knee my knee is still numb my leg is still half numb my calf is killing me I'm having shooting pain tingling pain's 

I know I'm only at eight weeks I am so discouraged my physical therapy is over Ontario you only get six visits I am doing my exercises and stretching at home but pain is unbearable sometimes I hope there is light at the end of the tunnel I hope I don't have to wait a year like some people are telling me the doctor never told me this 

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

This is probably small consolation, but everyone who has written here has felt what you are going through. IT STINKS! It is very depressing and disheartening. And you often feel so alone in this process.

The pain is awful, yes. Can you get more prescription pain meds? I don't see how anyone can do the difficult physical work required to get your knee range of motion back unless they have strong painkillers to help ease the blow. I know I couldn't. I was on Norco, 4 every day for a month before I was able to slowly go off them. YOU NEED PAIN RELIEF, or you're not going to persevere! DEMAND it from your MD!

I'm at the 6 week point and just got cleared to return to my job in two more weeks at reduced hours that will gradually increase until I'm at the 12-16 week point. This is infuriating to me because I need to be back at work and I'm going stir crazy at home. I still have some pain because I stupidly go overboard in my physical therapy and do too much. 

It's an annoyingly slow recovery process. I put off having my surgery for 5 years because I couldn't face the long recovery. Now I still have days that I am angry and depressed.

But believe me Bosco, please believe me!! I have fewer of these blue days. AND YOU WILL TOO. You will! 

Keep writing here and reading what the others who contribute here have to say. It is an enormous morale booster. You may feel alone but there are many who understand and are travelling the same road.

Be courageous. Try to be as patient with yourself as you can. And be good to yourself too.

• Posted

And Bosco please remember no one else owns our recovery. It's ours to endure. Get through it and come out of it a stronger, more resilient human being. Medicos can only do so much.  It is up to each of us to do whatever is a necessary to recover. x

• Posted

Bosco --  I know exactly how you feel.  But you are only 8 weeks post TKR you are still in the midst of the healing process and must continue to do your exercise and take pain killers to help you exercise with less pain. I feel your pain. I am 10 (almost 11) months post TKR and I cry from the horrific pain everyday. It seems that I have more pain now than 8 months ago. I exercise everyday, I ice every night and I rub my knee, but the pain is from my knee all the way down to my ankle and sometimes it goes up to my theigh and hip. I try to be positive because so many people had problems in the beginning and then they write and they are  doing fine. I hope and pray that one day I can also see the light at the end of the tunnel. I went to see my surgeon and he said that I might have the pain the rest  of my life because I opted not to have a manipulation at 4 months. However, at the time he did not explained how important a manipulation was, the consequences if I did not have it done and he also gave me a choice to go back to PT. So I made a big mistake and chose  to go back to PT.  Now I have to live with it. I did not know about the forum to ask for advice. I had to make the decision on my own.  However, you will get better -- please think positive, do your exercise -- they do hurt but you want to avoid getting adhesions like I  did.  Please keep us posted on your progress.  J-21370
  • Posted

Hi Bosco...hang in there...it will get better!! I remember thinking.... "what was I thinking doing this?" Now at 8 1/2mths post.....I am going to the gym. I can walk my dogs again, go shopping again, take walks with my guy......soooo different from this time last year.  And when it hurts a bit (nowhere near pre-op)....I take aspirin/Tylenol together (don't need to everyday).....I still use an ice pack now and then..... I can go up & down stairs (still bothersome at times, but I can DO it!)..... as everyone says..... keep going!! Take your pain meds, use ICE frequently....and most of all you HAVE to keep moving it for it to get better.  When my physio sessions ended (I'm also in Ontario), I joined the gym 3 weeks after as my knee was starting to hurt more, and stiffen. Do aquafit if you can. Most of all.....DON'T give up!!!!

• Posted

thanks  for your encouragement . I am going to start aqua fit 

• Posted

8 weeks post-op is very early days. Initial short-term recovery only begins at 3 months. As others have said, it can take up to a year or even longer to fully recover, and even then you may be left with a bit of discomfort -- but it should be nothing like the pain you had before your surgery. I had my left knee replacement 8 years ago, and just had my right knee replaced 4 weeks ago. My recovery seems much less straightforward this time (I am 8 years older, for one thing!), but the physios assure me I'm doing fine, so I'm choosing to believe that. You should have a follow-up visit with your orthopaedist scheduled? If not, make an appointment asap so that you can talk to him or her and put your mind at rest. Keep exercising, keep moving as much as you can, and in between, rest, elevate and ice as much as you can -- and don't come off your painkillers until you feel ready. Good luck!

• Posted

Put decision as to if worth it off for at least one year mark. It gets a lot better at four months and continues to improve. You cannot afford to dwell in feelings of regret...focus on moving forwards. Hard as it is, you can also make any pain a lot worse by dwelling on it. What you focus on really does matter...look after yourself by choosing to think positively to the best of your ability.
  • Posted

Please don't be discouraged 8 weeks is still so early.  Please bare  in mind you've had your leg cut open and all the nerves messed about with.  If you continue to exercise keep it elevated when you can and Ice after exercise I promise in the next 4 weeks you will feel like a different person.  I know it's painful but believe me you will be so glad you have had it done in a few more weeks and you will notice improvement.  I had arthritis in my knee for 26 years and I'm 16 weeks post/op and it's the best thing I've ever done and I know it's still early days for me and I will improve further.  So please don't be disheartened things will get better and if your pain is unbearable maybe you should speak to your doctor to look at your pain medications. Take care

• Posted

I so feel for you. I had mine done in February and I'm only slightly better the only thing we can do is exercise and keep at it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.