Knee Brace

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am 6 months after TKR stopped medication not working still in pain i am told by the physio all my exercises are excellent however cant stop the pain.  Today cut the support stockings and tried it on my knee stopped pain all day untill i took it off.  I am wondering if anyone has tried a knee brace or has anyone been told not to use one

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I use a knee brace at work for an hour or so and it helps.

I'm on my feet for 8 hours on different shifts so the relief is welcome.

• Posted

Thank you How long after op did you start using brace? I am using elastic support or a crape bandage, seems like i need it all day stops swelling on knee cap. what support do you use?  Beryl
    • Posted

I haven't had a TKR but I had an arthroscopy 12 months ago and my knee has gone downhill since.

I had a scan on Wednesday so I'll see how much worse it's gone

• Posted

It's a neo G open support brace.I didn't get one that you can wear all day as I think they can leave your leg weaker
    • Posted

Hi Larry,

That was my experience, too. Sorry you have had that happen. It was frustrating to have the knee get worse after what was supposed to help.

I do hope it goes well for you!

• Posted

Thanks debz, I think if you have arthritis then it isn't going to work, what do you think??

It was great till I went back to work.

I don't know if I worked in an office and wasn't on my feet all day whether it would have worked or not??

There wasn't any pain or swelling post op??

• Posted

Yes, the arthritis is the culprit. I had a torn meniscus in need of repair, but unfortunately the op only succeeded in stirring up the arthritis. So, like you, it was all downhill.

I also think you are correct about the being on your feet all day speeding up the effects of arthritis. I have been mostly at a desk, and my first op was in 2006. Just had my TKR on the 17th of August, with too long walking with bone on bone.

Seems it is inevitable regardless what the circumstances.

Yes, I had pain and swelling afterwards. Similar rehab to what I have now, although this has been much more difficult.

If your doctor says you need TKR, please don't wait until you are bone on bone. That was my biggest error in this journey.

All the best!

• Posted

The doctor said I am too young for TKR but I don't really want another key hole job either.

What do your knees feel like as regards walking or cycling??

• Posted

You are very young for TKR. Once the arthritis really flared up, walking for much distance was difficult. I had a brace that I wore for any distance. I basucalky lived with the ache and pain, took medication, and used Voltaren gel on my knee. There were many times it would buckle on me. Cycling was not as difficult, and often would feel good at the time.

The stationary bike is part of my rehab now, and it HURTS! But, I can do it and I expect it to improve as I heal. I walk with a cane or a rolling walker right now, mostly due to the broken toe on my right foot.

Keep having open discussions with your doctor. Hopefully you won't have to find a sedentary job, as sounds like you would not enjoy that.

• Posted

Wish there was a way to edit. I see my tablet did a funky thing with the word 'basically.'
    • Posted

Hahaha it's luck of the draw what goes in these messages

I think I'm too long in the tooth to retrain to anything else now.

Yeah cycling does a lot for rehab mentally and physically

Look after yourself debz

• Posted

Walking is obviously weight bearing and too much will always be an issue but short walks for me are tolerable. Bike should be okay but when it hurts should stop. Fine to ache to ouch but not to the point of real pain . I don't think it's about age a girl of 14 who fell off a horse had a tkr cos it was needed. Yes she will need another maybe several but quality of life is important at all ages. People should not suffer unnecessary if there is an operation to help.
    • Posted

Caroline, you are so correct about the quality of life! Hopefully, when it is time for that 14 year old to have another TKR, there will have been major advances in the procedure.
    • Posted

For calling me young un I could buy you a bucket of champagne.

When I boxed people would say "well done kid" and I loved it

Thanks benz

• Posted

You're right about walking, it isn't fun any more.pre op i could still walk 10 miles and thought the meniscus tear fix would end with me running again

Oh dear how wrong was I????

Cycling on the hand was a fillup before I had hip resurfacing and now it still has the same effect to a certain extent

• Posted

That's the issue at The present time. Average of 10 - 15 yrs per appliance. I got just short of 10 on mine. Right now the limit is two. I feel comfortable these numbers will increase over time with technology.
    • Posted

It does depend on how much you "exercise".  The less wear and tear, the longer it will last
    • Posted

These are the averages the medical people are using at this point. Everything has its pluses and minuses.
    • Posted

Agree with you there, but when have we listened to the medical people ;-)
    • Posted

A bloke at work who had a hip resurfacing op in 2002 has just gone on the sick with problems with the hip.

I suppose 13 years isn't bad eh??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.