Knee brace

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, I’ve been reading a lot about knee braces on here and was wondering if it would be worth investing in one. Seems that they do help to get “the bend” or shall I just persevere with PT and my exercises. 

Any thoughts? 😊

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Wendie! I tried using knee braces, but none of them worked for me, because I was still having severe pain when I walked. I did use a knee sleeve, which only helped a little. It was a temporary solution until I got knee surgery. The only way for me to get relief from pain was getting a total knee replacement.
  • Posted

Hi Wendie. Have you had any surgery yet? Can't figure out if you mean the bend as in ROM with a new knee or bending or straighten in slightly a bow legged or knock knee leg. Hope that makes sense. Different answer depending on why you think a brace might be helpful. Thanks.

• Posted

Have not heard of a knee brace "helping" with PT or getting your ROM back...I could be wrong.  However, after you have completely recovered (takes a year), the only two ways you can screw up the implant and shorten it's 25-30 year lifespan is to: a: pound the knee by running; or 2. engage in activities that torque or twist it.  All are no-nos.  Here's the list...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/do-s-and-don-ts-after-a-tkr-a-typical-list-541794

Yes, there are machines that help get your ROM back but that's through PT and your doc.

For me at 2 years post-op, I intend to be a bad boy.  At 70, who cares...  I played hockey for 45+ years and really, really miss the skating.  No more competitive hockey but a nice leisurely skate with no sharp turns and twists would be sublime.  Talked to the #1 brace company (DonJoy) about a brace that would absolutely not allow the knee to twist and "lock it" while I do a light skate.  Seems that their Defiance Model (picture) is meant to do just that. So (and don't tell my doc), I'm saving my pennies (OTS or the fully custom version @$900).  Maybe in a year, when I've got all my strength and balance back, I'll strap on the blades for a nice, easy run...  Remember, mum's the word.  Don't tell ANYONE that this is my plan...

• Posted

Be careful on that ice Chico but good for you for giving it a go. 😊

• Posted

You go for it.  These egotistic docs have no idea what happens to the whole person when they say,

“You won’t be able to do all the things you love to do, but it will be better!”.   Wonder how they would feel if we said that to them.  Enjoy the skates, enjoy the time you are on them...reach for the stars....or the blue line, right?.

• Posted

OH thanks guys. Yes Tricia I’ve had surgery. 7 weeks p/o. I’m at about 90 degrees and saw a private physio last week and his exercises he gave me seem to be helping. I thought a brace would help push me along? 

Hi Chico, it not that I’m

Impatient but anything helps right? Or maybe just patience and perseverance 😊 

I actually do feel Like I’m getting somewhere at times at other times not. I’m sure this is natural.

Thanks for your replies guys 😊

• Posted

Hi Wendie. I personally don't think a brace will help your bend after surgery. Unfortunately it is just time and VERY hard work. The exercises your physio has given you with as you suggested 😬 Patience and perseverance should do the job. 

I am just 12 days from my second partial knee so know the drill. Funnily enough this time the surgeon and physio have told me not to push past 90 degrees in the first 4 to 6 weeks. Very different from last time when I was like you racing to get as much RoM as possible. Apparently there is new research with partials! I don't think there is much chance of going past though as currently I am only 60 so have a way to go. Last time (which was last June 2017) at 7 weeks I was 115 so not that much different to you and now at 9 months I can actually bring that knee right up to my chin!! Haven't been able to do that for years. So it does all just take time and boringly just the same exercises. I mainly sit on a dining chair and slide my leg out and toward the chair as far as I can. Ten repetitions 4 times a day. Although because of the pain can only manage 5 repetitions at the moment.

good luck with your recovery, I'm sure you will get there.

• Posted

"I actually do feel Like I’m getting somewhere at times at other times not."

Ahhh, Wendie...Wendie...Wendie...  Unfortunately, what you "feel" is of absolutely no consequence.  I had those same "feelings".  The knee controls everything and it will teach you lessons...especially in strength of spirit and patience.  There's only time, work and patience.  But I guarantee that you will end up a stronger person for it.  A TKR takes guts...and you got 'em!!!

Post this on your fridge...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-reality-of-a-tkr-recovery-in-one-picture-626038

Someone told me that she gave it to her doc and he actually posted it IN HIS OFFICE!!!  It's "The Truth" in one picture.

• Posted

Lol Chico,  that made me smile. I know what you say makes so much sense but a girl can dream can’t she 😂.  It’s going  on my fridge for sure. Your so wise and 

I’m so Thankful  you are able to share your knowledge 

A big bug thank you x

• Posted

It's a very difficult recovery and no doc prepares you for it.  Even if they told you it would be painful, you'd never imagine THIS amount of pain.  Plus the work and the pain regaining your ROM...  The first three months are absolutely horrible with a lot of work to do and little energy to do it.

That's why you have to eat very healthy and hydrate a lot so you have that energy and can move forward.  Never gauge your progress on a daily or even weekly basis.  Too many ups and downs.  You have to look at it month by month.  Only then can you look back and see your real progress.  Things like: better ROM, no more opioids, threw away the walking aids, ability to drive again, etc.  These are the things that are easy to see as victories.  Forget about having a bad day...we all have them.

STAY STRONG!!!  This is also a test of will...wimping out is NOT an option!!!  After all, you don't want to be limping around using a cane the rest of your life.  

Here's a little fairy dust...now you can fly...  

• Posted

Morning 😊 yes you are absolutely right. They don’t prepare you enough. Thanks you for your words of support your a star 🌟

We’ve all got this we can do it 

• Posted

Thanks 😊 yes I realised few weeks ago it will be a long journey so will persevere. I’ve started o massage oil into my calf and behind my knee aswell seems to sooth it when it’s feeling hard 

Good luck with your recovery. We will get there in the end 😊

• Posted

There's a difference between a supportive brace and a therapeutic brace which is not worn to be mobile. Before my LTKR I used a DonJoy brace to help support my knee when I walked. After surgery, my leg got stuck at -45 bend and my surgeon prescribed a JAS brace which is used to gradually stretch or ben the leg and hold it in position for an extended stretch. I started out tolerating ten minutes daily X3 and worked up to the recommended 30 minutes three times daily. The rep said people get results in increasing their bend or straightening their leg (it does both with an adjustment) within 9 months. I accomplished my goal in 10 weeks avoiding further surgery.

Good Luck! Photo attached 

• Posted

Oh so it was well worth it for you. Are these things expensive as I can’t seem to much info online ??? 
    • Posted

In the USA, Medicare covers the monthly rental of the brace. The key is the help extended stretch or bend which is achieved through a small crank that is under your control to bend or stretch a little bit each few days to where it's slightly uncomfortable but not painful. It was developed by an orthopedic surgeon. I was a bit skeptical as my knee was stuck for 5 months but with massage, Gua Sha tool to break up scar tissue, magnesium, leg warmers, heat before and after on muscles, icing for knee, and PT 3X week my leg is straight and I can bend to 125. After ten months I still have to stretch and exercise. My chiropractor says exercise is lifelong...attached is a photo of my leg in the brace. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.