Knee extension

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello. How long has it taken your leg to fully extend and straighten? I had two knees done--the first one is slowly straightening. How long did it take yours to straighten? I am doing all the PT has said to do and exercises at home on my off PT days. Thanks.

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

My leg has been pretty straight since I woke up from surgery and it was slightly elevated in a straight position. I'm not sure I understand what else you are asking.

• Posted

Thanks. I mean the extension you are able to get.
  • Posted

Mine is at 3 degrees. It took a couple of weeks to get it there. My therapist says under 5 is good. The big thing to work on is flexion. By 3 weeks my ortho wanted it to be at 90 degrees. I worked hard and was at 105. At 4 weeks I am at 118. Can't get more than that right now due to swelling.

• Posted

Extension was fairly good early on.. Within a week for both knees was getting 0 degrees. It was very very sore!

At 3 1/2 months and 1 month post surgery... Flexion is getting there... Could do 90 degrees with both knees before I left hospital... Now up to 115 and 120... That was with lots of drugs and really excellent physio help.

The TKR was easier than the PKR for some reason!

It seems for much of my recovery it's been fits and starts...

• Posted

Hi Jen, I am at 9 weeks TKR, and struggling with extension. I am at 2 or 3 during most PT visits. It's frustrating but I keep doing everything I've been told. I can't imagine doing this with both knees!

• Posted

I've been religiously doing all of the exercises but still after 6 weeks can't quite straighten my knee. It is better than before the operation but every morning after I have been sleeping in basically  the recovery position it feels stiff and I have to start again. If i rest flat on my back with my leg straight and my heel on the bed it is too painfull behind my knee to keep it there for long. It always wants to take the easy painless route and be slightly bent. Probably because it had been that way for the previous twenty years!

Dave

• Posted

I'm with you Dave...mine will probably never be completely straight...after 20+years of a slight bend...after 1 year...I have a 128 bend and about a 5 degree on straightening...my surgeon said that he feels the bend is much more important but I can see that being able to lock the knee would be helpful while bringing the quad back to full strength..something that I have had to work hard on...

• Posted

Didn't take me long to striaightin it. The binding is my problem. 

• Posted

Hi Jen, I am at 13 weeks today and still do not have full extension. I am a minus 2 or 3 depending on the day. Dr. just gave me and my husband an exercise to help. Lay on your belly on the kitchen table with your legs from knee down hanging over (put a pillow or blanket under). GENTLY have your partner push with one hand just under your butt cheek and the other on your calf. Do 5x, 5 seconds a couple times a day. This has helped me. 
    • Posted

Thanks! This will really help. I have been putting them both over the edge and just letting gravity take it from there, but have never had someone push down. I will try it.
    • Posted

You're welcome. Doing what you are doing is good too. I do them both smile

• Posted

Lol....sounds like it would gently stretch the muscles..but picturing myself clambering up on the table...lol
    • Posted

I tried that last night but was a bit nervous as it felt a bit like kneeling would which is a definite  no no. Is this an approved exercise by any of the professionals does anybody know?
    • Posted

My surgeon did it in his office to me to show my husband how to do it for me at home. So I would say yes, it's approved. You're not kneeling at all. Just watch and be careful when and how you are placing yur body on the table. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.