Knee hot after TKR

Posted , 13 users are following.

I'm just over 5 weeks and today my knee has been red hot.

There aren't any red patches and no pain so I'm sure there's no infection, it's just red hot all over and I've spent most of the day with ice on it and with it up (not had ice on all the time, probably every hour for 10 mins or so).  But within 5 minutes of ice coming off, I can feel it getting hot again.  There is no pain, it is just hot and maybe a bit swollen as it is feeling very stiff and tight, but I am still doing exercises to stretch and relieve this tightness.

i did do a bit more than usual yesterday, but not too much, do you think it is just that, or does anyone have any experience of this?

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have seen it on this site a lot and had it a bit. Still do at night. Keep an eye but hopefully it's all normal.
  • Posted

Go to you ortho person and see if it infectious, or somethingelse going on.
  • Posted

I am also 5 weeks post op on second knee inn three months.  4/6 weeks seems to be the worse time for me.  If you are only leaving the ice on for ten minutes it is not long enough to be effective.  I was told by physio than 20 mins is absolute minimum for icing.  Good luck. It's a. Rollacoaster ride and this too will pass
  • Posted

Thanks all for your help and advice.  Its now late at night and I'm icing before I go to bed.  It's not been getting quite as hot this evening so hopefully turned a corner.  I'm taking the meds and I'll see what it's like tomorrow.
  • Posted

Hi Susan

like most on this forum, maybe you have done too much, if you wake up and it is still as bad then get in touch either your local gp or preferably the doctor at the hospital, at least that way you will know what is happening.

At night in bed I do this, I put a cold gel pack with a covering on it on my knee, then I loosly tie a big bandage around the ice pack and my knee, and I find this keep my leg cool for a few hours, and this way you can turn in bed and it doesn't fall off.

Hope it is better today for you.

i am 5 weeks post op today. Take care Gill

• Posted

Thank you. It's a lot better today, the bottom half of the knee is still getting a bit hot, but not as much as it did yesterday and the top half is a lot cooler.  So I think the resting and icing is working!

• Posted

At my 6 weeks check up, my surgeon said the heat/hotness can last up to 6 months. As long as there isn't any infection I wouldn't worry. I was told before I had my TKR that this would be a long road to go to get back to 'normal'. I'm going on 9 weeks po and my knee still gets stiff, tight, hot, though not quite as much. I figure one day at a time, is how we're all going to get through this. Hang in there!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.