Knee Injection

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have been put on the waiting list for my second TKR. In the meantime it was suggested I have a Synvisc 1 injection which acts as a filler between the knee joints and helps bad pain and arthritis in the knee. In Australia you can not get this on Medicare and have to buy it . It costs approx $520 and you have a doctor inject it. I had this done 2 weeks ago and would be interested if anyone else has had this and if it worked for you. I understand it takes 2-4 weeks to get the benefit of it.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

In the US, Medicare covers this injection it worked very well for me for almost 3 years - got one every 3-4 months. Had RTKR 2 yrs ago My current surgeon tried Effluxa thst didn't work so my LTKR is schuled for MAY. The Symvisc was great but he wouldn't give it to me SO.....good luck. I always got immediate relief after the injection

• Posted

Thanks Karen. I'm hoping it works for me but $500 every 3-4 months is out of the question but glad it worked for you

• Posted

I had Synolis va which seems to be similar product . After the first one at first I felt immediate relieve followed by quite intense pain after a few hours I had it and than it settled.

I had it again and relieve lasted for about 5-6 weeks. I payed €130 per knee in Slovakia.

I was also taking some chondrosulfate with hyalorunic acid oraly , but orthopeadic doctor in UK just laughed at me , and6 months later offered steroid or local anaesthetic injections for me.

In Uk it is not available at all , and GP never knew this did exist.

• Posted

But my father in law and mother in law keep having it 3 times a year and they can not praise it enough.

• Posted

Thanks Dadka I was told by my surgeon it could take 2-4 weeks to settle. I'm just hoping that is the case as I had it done 2 weeks ago but haven't noticed a lot of difference . Hopefully it starts to work like your in laws.

• Posted

Honestly, I have heard a lot of positive comments on it, but it is partially funded via insurance in Slovakia -so my in laws only pay €30-50 as per choice of injection -and the rest covers national insurance . But I had to cover full price.

I am hoping to have arthroscopy and washout and if that will not work I may go back and have injections again.

• Posted

Do your in laws get relief straight away or does it take a little while to settle in .

• Posted

I did ask and they say it works straight away for them.

• Posted

I wonder would this injection help me, I have a loose knee....I'm looking for anything that can prevent me from getting a revision....I live in Ireland

• Posted

I am not a doctor but I did have the shot twice before my knee replacement and have other friends that had it done. For me the first shot worked for about 4 months and then then I had another one and it did nothing for me. I am fairly active, walk 3 miles a day, lift weights at least 3 days a week. But I have had friends that have had it done that it has been a life/knee saver....the two I am thinking of one is now 72, not that physically active, has been getting them for several years and she says she has no knee pain, the other is a man who is 65, a runner who stopped running because of the knee pain and after the shot is back running!!

I tell you all of this is because I am thinking the shot might work better depending on why you have knee pain. I think it didn't work for me because of years of exercise and injury I had no ACL, no cartilage, no meniscus and because I have been like that for years I had a lot of damage in my knee. There was nothing in my knee to keep the fluid in place....but that is just my opinion. Something to think about before shelling out all that money.

Good luck! Knee pain in not fun and I LOVE my new knee!!!!

• Posted

I had it done over 13 years ago. It did seem to help or perhaps it was a placebo effect. I had another doctor tell me it was a waste of money unless you had some cartilege left and i didn't. i had it done twice but mine was paid for by my private insurance plan. At that time e it was $250 in Canadian dollars.

• Posted

been getting synvisc injections for over 10 years. i think the 3 injection treatment works alot better and is less painful. its 1 injection a week for 3 weeks. had synvisc 1 past couple years and it doesnt last as long. i get the injections every 6 months.

• Posted

the series if 4 shots - Effluxa did 0 for me but the SYNVISC did. I'm looking forward to getting my left knee replaced in MAY. Best of luck

• Posted

my 3 shot series was synvisc. never had the other brands or generics. my brother has and said same thing. not the same as synvisc 3 shot. the synvisc 1 is a bigger shot. it hurts. the 3 shot series is less. no pain. my new doc prefers the synvisc 1. i think its crap.

• Posted

After four knee scopes (2 each side) in my 50's I used SynVisc for 5-6 years. The three-shot over 14 days regimen lasted me 11 months each time. Worked very well for me. Stopped it when I moved from the cold of New Jersey to the warmth of Texas. No shots needed until I had to have the TKR at age 68.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.