Knee issues after hip replacement

Posted , 29 users are following.

I had a total left hip replacement in September last year. I have been struggling with pains around my right knee and quad over the last few weeks and there are many days where I battle to walk and be pain free. As anyone experienced this before? Am I over compensating on my good leg?

Dan

2 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Your gait has altered since you have your THR and this can cause problems elsewhere. I would start with a physiotherapist who can look at your gait and possibly suggest some treatment.  If that doesn't work then I would suggest an X-ray and orthopaedic appointment.

In my case the problem has occurred on the same leg and I will have to see what happens after the TKR on the other knee at the end of the month.

• Posted

Many thanks. I have a appointment with a Orthopedic in 2 weeks time. In the interim , I am doing some stretching. I also noticed a very tight ITB on the non operated leg
    • Posted

It's always something.. Hope it's nothing that PT can't help strengthen the tendon. My tendon had microscopic tears in it in many areas from stretching during surgery.

CHEERS

HOPEcheesygrin

• Posted

I had a LTHR in Feb this year and like you am now having serious problems with pain in my right hip and knee..

It's probably arthritis related,but my change in gait will be a contributing factor.

Ive resigned myself to having the right hip replaced,but will wait til next year now.

I have had pain from my right hip before,but it usually eases after a few days..but this latest attack has now lasted more than a week with no signs of easing,quite depressing tbh.

hope yours eases soon,if it's arthritis related it may well do so.

• Posted

Please have a X-ray done on UR hip to verify Arthrists or injury or if PT can help... same for UR knee.

CHEERS confused

HOPE

• Posted

Just as I said,a couple of days rest and miraculously the pain in my right hip has gone...

walked a couple of miles with my dog today without using my stick,but I did have with me just in case.

the operated hip is slowly but surely getting so I hardly notice it any more as well.

It must be arthritis related,but why exactly it comes and goes I don't know.

Im not getting too ahead of myself,who knows what tmrw will bring.biggrin

• Posted

I have had osteo in joints. THR 3 times & each time I have knee issues. As it turned out the last time arthritis in the knee causes issues. When UR struggling walking all the exercises tru rehab it's always a strain on the rest of the boday especially on my last one I was a few years younger, stronger and in better shape.

ask UR dr to X-ray to be sure u do not have serious issues and ask for PT FOR UR KNEE PAIN.

CHERRS

HOPE

• Posted

Hi Dan

I had left THR in October my left knee hurt before and after the op. I was told I might need a knee replacement as x rays showed wear. I've been swimming now for about three months and am up to 3000 metres a week and the knee pain went almost immediately. You probably need to strengthen your quads that was the advice given to me by the physio. Give it a try, I only do front crawl. It's a good fitness routine as well.

Good luck

Paula

• Posted

Hi danirl,

I have my THR in April this year, i do get pains in my knee. i was told, that can happen, i try and rest as much as i can i also use a foot stool and rest my leg on that to help with the pain in my knee.

• Posted

Hi Daniel,

I just had a discussion about that today with the physical therapist.  I already had my right knee replaced and now having the right hip replaced.  I am having a lot of pain in that knee now and asked if the surgery would alleviate it.  I was told I shouldn't have pain in that knee and if I do to be sure I talk with the physical therapist.  I agree with everyone else see your physical therapist.  Best of luck.

Mary Ann

• Posted

I had my right hip replacement in 2010 I've had no problems but I've now had my left hip replaced 8 weeks ago, it healed very quickly but after 3 weeks my left knee started hurting me again like before I had my operation.

I'm going back to see the surgeon in a weeks time but before the op he said the knee pain was to do with the hip not my knee? So why am I now starting with knee pain again???

But the body does compensate and I think like you I've either put to much strain on the knee for the last 2 years or my gait is all wrong???

• Posted

Hi dan

I had both hips replaced within 8 weeks of each other and when l was trying to walk to exercise my hips my knee's well 1 esoecially was ending up in terrible pain.

I went back to doctors and had xrays done on both my knee's and hips . The hips were fine but my knee's were full of OA like my hips were. I need them both replaced to get fitst one next month.

I am not saying thats whats wrong with you it could be something to do with the way you are walking to help your hip but if it continues l would get an xray done. I hope its not as l was not expecting to need knew knees so soon after hip replacement

Laura

• Posted

Hi Daniel  I too had a total hip replacement in sept this year and suffering similar knee problems , restricting my walking.  Feels like I had my knee operated on , not my hip. I am at my GP's Monday and consultants Tuesday so my learn what the problem is . Hope you feel better soon . 

• Posted

hey sandy; saw your post and wondering how your knee pain resolved. I am 5 weeks post op TLHR where my  knee seems to have been injured during the surgery.  Still not able to walk properly and it is not about the hip.  It is all the knee.  Of course, seen the surgeon who says it takes time. But, had intensive PT for the knee as I can't bend it and there is so much swelling that the hip rehab has become secondary.  So frustrated as the knee was fine before the surgery.  How did things work out for you?  

• Posted

I am 11 days post op. As soon as spinal wore off, it was ALL about the knee pain. I thought they did knee surgery by mistake. Had to double my pain meds to max in the hospital and still could barely put any weight on knee. It got HUGE !! Two days later, brilliant red and HOT. Have to lift or move my leg with my hands . Hip pain was almost zero in comparison. It took 5 days of icing and using an Azazzia (tens) to get most of the swelling down. And now you could see the distinct bruising on the outside of the knee down to the outside upper lower leg. Smaller bruise area on the inside of knee. Two different PT’s told me that if you saw what they do to your leg during surgery to dislocate the hip and then place back with artificial parts, you would be blown away . Apparently Magiila Gorilla had a death grip ( large hand covers bruised area perfectly ) on my knee to pull/push and manipulate my leg. I cannot even touch the bones on the bottom outside of my knee. Still using a walker and have been advised by PT to do little walking and just give the knee a chance to hopefully heal. I see surgeon in 3 days for 2 week checkup . If still bad then, I will go through my independent primary to set up MRI on knee and find another ortho to take a look. 
    • Posted

hi it would seem knee problems are common! i had a TLHR 7 months ago and had sciatic nerve damaged/stretched which caused me inability to move my leg for 8 weeks and after rehab i am still walking with crutches and still can not step up stairs as pain in my left knee and have now been told to have it scanned for oa but had no problems before op! my arthritis was very advanced so i wonder if my knee was damaged during op??

Lindsey

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.