Knee issues after hip replacement

Posted , 29 users are following.

I had a total left hip replacement in September last year. I have been struggling with pains around my right knee and quad over the last few weeks and there are many days where I battle to walk and be pain free. As anyone experienced this before? Am I over compensating on my good leg?

Dan

2 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Pain in either knee and/or groin in my case was severe tendonitis. Unfortunately the Only way to heal is very gentle stretching (stop just before it REALLY hurts) and almost total rest. I am fortunate to be retired and am able to rest completely and this course of treatment is helping very much. If you think about how irregular you gait was on both legs before it is obvious that now you are walking correctly and your tendons are put of wack. But if you can be gentle in your stretching and rest rest rest you will see great improvement. If you need to go to work and walk or stand you aren't testing you leg. Total rest and gentle stretch for a minimum 1-2 weeks you will be much improved. Typically PT is not gentle enough and has ALWAYS made my pain worse. You can do gentle stretching on a stair, that's all you need.

I realize most people have returned to work and aren't able to stay home so this advice will only help future THR patients. But my heart goes out to the rest of you.

• Posted

I’m in my third week of post-op THR recovery and am having knee pain in both knees.  My concern is the right knee, on same leg as THR.  What kind of stretching did you do on stairs?  The same as for running where you stretch by pulling heel up to back of thigh?  I’m hoping to avoid PT; I. e., want to do it myself at home.  Meeting with surgeon next week, but want to get knee pain addressed ASAP.  I told the nurse this week, but don’t remember what she said.  ??  I know she didn’t mention PT though.  I realize your post refers to your tendinitis, but curious what your gentle stretching consisted of.  Thank you!

• Posted

I have been to many many PT appts since hip replacement  4 weeks ago.  My hip is stiff and the incision is sore but the knee on that side is a big problem. Swelling, and the more I push through therapy the worse my evenings have been.  Severe pain at the end of the day.  Had X ray, they say it is all soft tissue, but jeez, this is a bear.  Equal Pain to Hip Pre Surgery now.  Not making any progress with walking.  Been at the same level as Day 3.  Crazy right? I had not read or heard about this complication before.  I wonder if there is a way to complete this hip surgery and spare the knee?  I would love to hear from someone who has recovered well and how they did it.  Thank you for sharing your journey on this.  
    • Posted

Did you ever get this resolved? I had a right anterior hip replacement 12 days ago. I was extremely active before which led to the need for hip replacement and onnly 52. My right hip is getting better but my right knee is bothering me. PT says it’s normal but the knee was never N issue before surgery. I know it’s early but it’s the knee that bothers me when I walk and especially at night. Continues to throb all night. And again bothers ( hurts) me when walk or do some of the exercises. No one told me this would happen. I see that people are having this issue but what are you all doing to resolve it?

• Posted

I just had a THR 4 1/2 weeks ago and I have no pain in hip area but I have a burn in the front of the knee, same leg. Not sure if it's nerve, I see my surgeon in 2 weeks.   Good luck

• Posted

Hi Dan,

Sorry this is so late.  I’ve had hip replacement in September 2017.  I, too, have had pain in my knee, the same side as my hip replacement.

Steve

• Posted

Same situation.  Hoping your situation resolved.  I am in more distress over the knee situation that I was before the total hip replacement.  Cannot bend the knee or sit for long at all.  Severely restricted recovery as a result. Many Many visits to PT.  Pushing through the pain but at the end of the day I am in tears.  I get up the next day and go back at it but I am still wondering how this happened and why do so many people get knee problems after (I know they dislocate the leg by grabbing the knee) but there has to be a better way.  I hope that your pain has resolved, we could all use a happy ending to focus on.  
  • Posted

I had THR in 2014.  After 5 months of extensive walking starting getting severe pain in back of knee and outer calf muscle.  Has persisted for 3+ years.  Surgeon did adjust my leg length.

?Now believe it is from the hamstring insertion point in lower leg.  Going to get with a PT and do gait analysis and get some recommendations for specific stretches.

Good luck

?Ron

• Posted

Just had total right hip replacement 3 weeks ago. I was doing great when I got home, walking with no pain. Now, not so good. Right knee pain is horrible! I can barely walk. Never had knee issues prior to surgery. Forget sleeping...knee feels like there's a tight rubber band around it and the femur just above it hurts too. Getting very frustrated since I was super active and thought the THR would get me back to my activities. Now, I just sit in the house all day.

• Posted

Hello, on here looking for advice too for my 94 y/o mom. She had partial hip replacement at the end of June and late in July she was released from rehab came to my home w/o hospital bed and started complaining about knee and shin pain causing sleep problems, walking, etc. Still having issues - doctors act like they've never heard if this!! Any advice or knowledge of why. this is on the sane leg too. TY!

• Posted

Iam 5 weeks out from R THR and still on crutches,

some pain in the abductus group but RECTUS FEMURUS is numb from knee upwards about 20 cm and pain in the inner R knee.. ?? muscular pain in lower back .. anyone else similar

• Edited

Yes i had it after my first THR Its my IT Band. It runs from your hip to your knee. Google it and you will see what type of exercise you need to do for it. You also will need a roller. I had him xray my knee and everything looked good so he started pressing on the side of my leg and it hurt really bad. Thats where the IT Band is and when you read about it you will see that it affects the knee

• Posted

I had knee pain and still do after my hip replacement. Most likely your issue is IT band syndrome. The IT band runs from your hip down to your knee. Usually the pain is on the outside of your knee and when you touch it it’s very tender. Your physical therapist can do exercises for you Your physical therapist can help with stretching it You can also use a roller to roll it out. . My PT said that my quads are so tight. He is working on those too with stretching them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.