Knee pain

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have chronic lower back pain due to many things but now it's my knees. I ended up having my knees scoped,thinking it was a bad idea,now it's worse. I have had injections,last a couple days.I now wake up crying because the pain is unbearable. It is in both but mostly my left knee.I never injured them. Why I had them scoped is because when I walked or bend the knee,you can hear the grinding,opping,.I was told I had alot of cartridge build up along with arthritis.They needed to scrap all that away. This started out that the pain came and went but now it's there all the time. It's so much worse at night,it seems anyway because now it's waking me up,and I cry so hard. Don't know what to do? No more injections, don't work,I don't want them scoped again because I feel this is why it's worse.Anyone having this problem? Oh and sometimes I get swelling on side of knee cap, Angles swell only couple times but I am worried.this pain takes my breath away.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,

You need to see your surgeon and get an MRI done on both your knees.

If you have arthritis that has got worse, they will then be able to advise you on what to do next.

Don't go on, crying with pain, you may need your knees replacing.

You don't say your age, but regardless, knee replacement is something I don't regret, I had both knees relaced, and the stiffness after inactivity now,is nowhere near the awful pain I had before.

• Posted

47,doctor said I was to young. Thank you for responding
    • Posted

Hi kjoyo. I'm 47 and had my rtkr 12 weeks ago. Sometimes it is the only answer! After being persistently told I was too young by the go I got a feral. The surgeon told me that for both injections and scopes there is a success rate of about 40 % and of that 40 % 60% last less than a year and they mostly end up having a replacement anyway so I missed all that out on his advice and went straight for it!

• Posted

Hi Kjoyo i cant begin to think what you are going through my problems seem small towards yours the only thing i know they do is micro surgery but that is normally just toclean the damaged cartilage it normally helps in people i have spoken to i just dont know what to say to you except i hope you get relief soon take care and good luck

• Posted

Don't think my reply went through, but thank you for the kind words.I pray you find a solution to your problems. I should have never brought my situation up but these were triggers that made certain symptoms occur. But this is about you so be your own advocate,doctors don't know everything, most importantly they don't know your body like you do. Stay in touch on updates,God bless

• Posted

Anytime you want to chat Kjoyo it is gine with me if i can help you in any way dont hesitate to ask .
  • Posted

Like any surgery, there will be pain afterward. Did the advise you ice it ofter, 20 mins at a time, give you any pain meds or tell you to take over the counter anti inflammatories. I would suggest you call the surgeons office immediately and tell them what you are experiencing and ask for something for relief. I don't know where you are in the world but your aftercare sounds barbaric.

Again, rest and ice packs are a good start.

• Posted

Hi, I had no surgerys @ all & I started off with a knee pain that had mris & xrays done found a sprain but no surgery is needed but is heading towards 5 months & I get much pain in knee when walking with a walker.

I guess from my understanding from ortho is that my nerves lower back is causing my knee pain sciatica..I may need to see a chiropracter to align me so was wondering you mentioned your back problems if this is the cause you to have knee issues?

I would look more into this which I myself have spoken to many people that tell me they have had issues with their backs that caused all knee pains.hope & pray all goes well for you..hang in there it will all get better in time.

• Posted

I had insane sciatica about 5 years ago.  Went so far as a pain doc and spinal injections.  Finally went to my wife's neurosurgeon.  MRI revealed that a bone spur at L4 was literally crushing the sciatic nerve as it exited the spinal column.  A week later, simple surgery...bada bing...sciatic pain completely gone.

PS: I trust this guy with my life since he saved my wife from an 8mm un-ruptured MCA aneurysm.  If you're gonna do this, find the BEST neurosurgeon in town...period.

• Posted

Hi kjoyo. I can sympathise with you regarding knee pain.. I've suffered with it since the age of 18 am now 42. I've had scrapes injections ligaments releases bones broken and re aligned. An the list goes on. HAs your gp /consultant if your seeing either), . Have they not sent you for further investigation to see what's going on. Have they prescribed you with any pain relief.? You've not said where you are from? All I can suggest is keep pushing for tests top find out the main cause for your persistent knee pain. I have on many occasion felt like screaming due to the pain. But hang in there keep pushing.

• Posted

Depending on what kind of injections you had to. Cortisone is a anti inflammatory. Useless in my opinion. The 3 injection series of synvisc helped me alot. The single injection one did nothing. I to used to get woke up by the pain. The first couple years after the operations was bad sometimes. After they do the scoping it breaches the joint capsule. That makes it sensitive to barometric changes. I can tell you if a storm is coming better than a weather man. Used to take pain pills to take the edge off to help me sleep on the bad days. But they took the mild ones off the market. Like darvocet. I refused Vicodin. Tramadol doesn't work at all. I take Arthrotec and it helps with the arthritis.

• Posted

Depending on where you are and the evaluation by the Dr's as to feasibility synvisc probably isn't an option. Its very expensive and doesn't work in most cases. In my area insurance companies are really unlikely to allow it.

• Posted

Had cartilage removed 3 times. Material ground off knee cap. Have cracks in my thigh bone from friction. Synvisc keeps me on my feet. Insurance don't like paying but they rather pay for that then knee replacement. Docs make medical decisions. When insurance trys to I let the judges take over. They give them the choice of injections. Or TKR. They go with injections. When doc did operation he took pics of the cracks. I show them to the judge. Always works.

• Posted

In which country are you located? Where I'm from if the Dr's say it won't work they won't even take it to. Insurance company. In my case they said there was less than 10 % chance and this is from a teaching university medical center. If that % increases substantually they'll fight for it

• Posted

U.S. He was going to try cortisone. Then said nope. Gonna try synvisc. Got authorization for it. It worked great. Been getting them over 10years. Every 6 months. The 3 injection series. Just had it done again in August.

• Posted

Been a long haul. Original injury was at work almost 31 years ago. Had it fixed. Started to have issues with locking in 2001. Went to same doc told him. Gave him my insurance card. He said nope. Related to original injury from 1985. Opened comp case back up. Place I worked at long gone of course. Insurance didn't want to pay. Sent me to independent examiner. He said yes,part of original injury. Took 7 months worth of comp court dates and such. They actually let original insurance company off the hook. Turned it over to state insurance. They authorized 2 more operations. By then was 2002. Been seeing doc every 3 months since. Getting synvisc. They drag me into court once in a while trying to get off the hook. When I explain I tried to use my insurance. And there doc said it was related to original injury, judge tells them to keep paying for treatment. Plus I have it in writing they have to pay. Then I tell them I never settled. Didnt want there money. All I want to do is be able to walk and work. They find in my favor. Make them pay for my treatment.

• Posted

Goes to show what being tenacious can do when youbare right. My problem started exactly 14 years ago today. A rare tumor hemoraged . 11 surgeries and 5 complete rehab later in am still walking but still in enough pain that I require opiates for pain.
    • Posted

I gave up on pain pills. Used to take darvocet to take the edge off. They took them off the market. Tramadol don't do a thing. Vicodin hates me. Now they do drug tests for controlled substances. I already get tested for other scripts I take. So I have no problems with taking the test. But I know they won't want to pay for it. Will result in another court date. Don't feel like it. Lol. Test costs 1300 bux. So I know that will put a kink in there colon. Then they will question why pay for injections if meds are still required.

• Posted

I'm past that stage of life. No one cares when you are pushing 80 what you have in your system as long as long as you have proper body functions on a somewhat regular basis. As long as I I don't have to have drug testing to meet for coffee I'm fine. My wife is in advanced stages ofvparkinsons disease and has to take a handfu of pills daily. Recently she had the unfortunate experience of going through one of the things Parkinson's patience dread the most......a fall resulting in a broken hip that required a partial hip replacement. She had to scraped up off the patio andctajen to the medical center by ambulance. When the majority of Parkinson's patients fall the go over backwards resulting in a blow to the head and this was her 2nd fall in 6 weeks, both resulting in hitting her head in the same area. She has a very high threshold of pain so immediately she started demanding they leave the pain meds alone which they were happy to be able to do as they wanted to do a brain scan before worrying about the pain in the hip. Finally after being jostled around for a couple of hours of x rays and scans the pain was enough she had to ask for a shot of morphine.....but just one. From there on she only had 3 low disease pain pills post surgery. She isvnowcin a Rehab facility and they would always ask if she wanted. A 5 mg hydrocodone before therapy.....nope......not even an Advil. I would have been eating them like M & M's. In my 14 years of this battle I've come to the conclusion long ago, as long as you aren't using pain meds as a form of escape you should do whatever necessary to lead a nrmal, productive life. Its like having a beer in the evening because you enjoy the taste and possibly the companionship of a group or going off and downing a 12 pack because you are trying to hide from people and problems that you don't want to face.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.