Knee pain while siting after knee surgery.

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had total knee surgery Dec 5th so I am 4 weeks post-op. I still find it extremely painful doing the knee flexion during heel slide-brings tears and grimmacing.  Also, its almost intolerable to sit with my legs on the floor without my knee burning and aching so much I have to get up and elevate my leg.  Also having stabbing like shocks randomly in my knee--can anyone give me some input?

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

I understand that pain and frustration all too well. You are still so early on. Heel slides are so painful at this stage and that’s normal. Don’t press too hard where you are in agony. Do what you can. It will get easier. I am 4 and 1/2 months along and because swelling has reduced a bit the heel slides are coming along finally. Keep doing what you can go easy if you need too but be persistent and each day further out from surgery the better. Remember to ice and elevate to help swelling. I still ice after exercising and still have a ways to go but the pain you are experiencing has subsided a lot. At your stage also took pain meds fairly regularly. Then one day I was ok to do without but it took awhile. You’re ok hang in there. This I should a great forum with lots of good knowledgeable people who have helped me immensely along the way. 

Best wishes

• Posted

Bubbles you are SO EARLY in recovery - trust me - I am post op 8 weeks and didnt do heel slides til week 5 and all I can say is what everyone here will say is Rest, ICE, Elevate and do your exercises when you can And push yourself but not to the point of grimmacing.. I am still in a ton of pain as well but it is better and better each week.. hang in there , you are in the toughest part ( I think) of recovery ..
  • Posted

Eevating I'd key to pain relief. As far as the exercises. They are want to put you in excruciating pain. Just back off and don't push so hard, eventually you Wil get there. If her times Dr s and therapists rentckear also how the exercises are to be done and this is where people get in trouble. Scrol through here and find writings By Chico Marx. Great stuff to take you though the process of rehab. Get out the ice packs and water. Take pain meds on schedule and remember this is a marathon not a sprint. Be kind to yourself. Rest is more important a few extra heel slides. A tired, dehydrated body just doesnt heal fast.you'll get There when your body allows it not wen a Dr tea you that u should be healed. Keep moving, don't get frustrated, patience and time are great healers.

• Posted

Well- I understand.  My surgery was Nov 29th- Total Knee - left.  My situation is crazy because October 19, 2016 I got a steroid shot in my left knee that resulted in a rare strep- 3 surgeries,

1 month in hospital- 8 weeks i v antibiotics, blood clot, 3 months PT.  

I had to wait a year after the infection to get the TKR-  sooooo- starting all over is hard- the fatigue is really hard.  I understand.

• Posted

Wow, Kelley, you have been through so much! How are you doing now? It does get better, but it is a slow process!
    • Posted

I am getting better each day- the infection was called septic arthritis and I feel so lucky to have survived.  While the TKR is challenging it is not as painful as the diseased joint post infection.  Thank you for asking- the scar from the surgeries a year ago were huge so people just assumed I had already had the replacement 😐

• Posted

😯 gosh! That is great you are on the mend! The great thing now is the whole joint is sorted...cannot remember how many weeks you are post op, but it only gets better.

• Posted

It's way to early to plan any major recovery. Listen to oldfatguy and Chico. I'm 5 week's post TKR ON LEFT leg and 11 months right leg TKR. Read the advice on here from oldfatguy and Chico. You will get good advice from them. Too soon to expect any major results. Look after your body for now. Rest. Ice plenty of water is essential to get the inflammation down. Trust me I didn't doitthis time in the first 2 weeks and boy dud my leg balloon up. Started with 12 glasses of water. The result was amazing. Yeah I was never off the loo BUT my leg went down and my ankles I could see the difference. I even got my socks on lol. So hang in there and pamper yourself. My first TKR I signed off physio at the hospital after 4 visits and pushed myself at home. Didn't regret it. My first TKR was a success. Take care xx

• Posted

It is early days, you have had excellent responses so not much more I can add but I found the exercises very challenging, we all do at first but it gets easier with time. It's major surgery but as a rough ball park kind if idea, the first 6 weeks are very hard, the first 3 months hard, but after that it gets easier. I am now 9 months post op and its fantastic to have a new lease of life with a working knee. It's well worth the effort.

• Posted

Four weeks is too early to worry.

I had enough aches and pains for an injured rugby team during my early rehab.

I learned that however my knee felt it would probably change in the next hour. You can drive yourself mad trying to work it out.

Talk to your Physio and your consultant and just get on with it distracting yourself as much as you can with whatever fills your time.

Your rehab will find it's own level and eventually you won't think about it.

I'm 14 months into mine and walking 40 miles a week and playing golf 3 time4s a week and walking dogs.

I'm sure you will be fine but the early days are uncomfortable.

• Posted

Input?  Yes...you're normal.  It's what we've all gone through.  The first 30 days are gruesome then there seems to be a big change at 3 months after you finish PT and have your ROM back.  At 4 weeks, I was still drooling on my pajamas...

Click on my name and then "See All Discussions"...lots out there to help answer a lot of your questions...  Just remember the three keys to recovery...work, time and patience.  You have to do the work, especially the muscle rebuild after PT, give the knee time to heal (there are no timetables), and you must have patience with your recovery.  Start planning your one-year anniversary party...that's when life becomes pretty normal again.

• Posted

I love your reply. Gives enormous hope to all of us. I am hoping/planning on stopping PT at the end of this month as I feel I know the work I must do and can carry on now myself. My highest ROM 125 not steady yet there and -5 still have a lot of work to do. I hope it’s ok to do this if I am still at those numbers in 4 weeks from now. 
    • Posted

I did PT weeks 3 through 12.  Went from -14 / +84 to -1 / +123.  Got stuck for weeks at -4 until breaking through.  Read the discussion on "ROM Work at Home" for some extra methods to achieve the ROM.

This is not easy...takes a lot of work and dedication but the option is to limp in pain for the rest of your life.  No thanks...I'll take one from column A.  Just remember that a "steady" ROM will require you to rebuild your dead quads, glutes and core (see: "Post-TKR Exercising"wink.  That will set you up for "Mastering Post-TKR Stairs".  All have to be done...there are no shortcuts.  And if you push it too hard, the knee swells and you have to back off.  There's a very delicate balance between advances and setbacks.  Listen to your knee...

This is NOT a linear recovery.  Hang this on your fridge...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-reality-of-a-tkr-recovery-in-one-picture-626038

"Never give up! Never surrender!" - Tim Allen, Galaxy Quest

• Posted

Thank you! Definitely doing the work. Slacked a bit during Christmas due to traveling but walking pretty good now have done just over 6 miles today with heel slides yet to be done. I am tired lol stairs are still hard to do. Last night got to gym to work with weights to carefully strengthen quads hamstring s etc... And recumbent bike 25 min. So working to get better it's tough but manageable. Trying to listen to body. I do back off when necessary as I do have some pain on inside of knee which is just beginning. I suspect it's from trying to straighten knee out. So much work healing is a full time job really. LOL thanks again

• Posted

I wasn't able to do 5 miles until month eight.  Everyone is different but we all have to hear the knee.  

Someone posted the other day that they're 2+ years post-op and getting symptoms back.  No kidding.  After you're done, you have to continue working on the knee the rest of your life or regress.  This doesn't end...and that's a good thing.  It forces us to stay strong and in shape.

• Posted

Oh wow! This really is the long haul lol well hopefully anyways 😘

• Posted

You can ditch the intensity long term but you can't just sit around doing nothing.  It becomes a lifestyle change.

• Posted

That sounds better lol i did this surgery though so i could keep going you know. I was active before and did surgery in hopes i could continue to be active more so than with bad knee. So the idea of needing to stay active i think will be just fine. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.