Knee problem

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been having problems with bending my knee I've been very depressed

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

How many weeks post op are you? I can empathise with bending frustration. I am nearly 6 weeks post op and have had trouble bending due to tightness in my thigh and back of knee. My thigh muscles feel like they'll snap when I bend and exercises have been very uncomfortable. I have made some improvement and can now bend to about 100 without pain or much straining and can get to about 110 with great discomfort. I have done the heel slides and squats religiously but it's only in the past week or so that things have been a bit easier. The tightness in my thigh and IT band is still bad though and I can't walk without my knee buckling. I feel like the whole leg is being held together with tight elastic bands.

• Posted

Hi

i know just what you mean- 5 weeks and lots if exercises later still only have a bend of 80. Ive been very low about it. My PT gave me some good advice yesterday; dont get hung up on the numbers, just try to do "normal" things walk with friends and try to forget about the knee. I have been a lot happier today ( bend no better!!)

• Posted

My doc told me that if 10 professionals (docs, PTs, etc.) measured the bend in your knee, you'd get 10 different sets of numbers. They put that stupid piece of plastic on your leg and just "eyeball" it. So you have to see the numbers in a general way of increasing flexion and straightness and not an exact, objective measurement. People get too hung up on a "number".

However, you have to do way better than 90-degrees flexion (+120 is the recommended minimum) or you will definitely have trouble with stairs when it's time to conquer that final hurdle. PT in the first 90 days to break down the scar tissue is the primary tool to do this but you can do a lot on your own (see the ROM at HOME link in the post below). Also, your ROM can and probably will get better as you do the muscle rebuild exercises over the following six months. Mine went from -1 / +123 after PT to 0 / +133 at one year. So there is always room for improvement...it just takes time, work and patience.

Get rid of your expectations and do the work. Post this on your fridge...

Reality

No one tells you this before the op and we ALL run headlong into the same brick wall.

• Posted

How are you finding walking? Are you using sticks? I'm trying to just use one crutch and walk heel toe but my leg feels like it is pieces of wood all connected up with twangy elastic bands. My bend is 100+ and I'm close to being able to straighten it but my knee buckles when i try to walk with no sticks and i can feel every nerve in my entire leg.

• Posted

POD...very common...once you know that it's just a Jedi Mind Trick, kick it out the door...

Post-Op Depression

Do #3...it's a killer but it will straighten your leg...

ROM at Home

The biggest thing is to get rid of all your expectations. They take you down the wrong path. Time, work and patience are your tools. Focus...stay strong... Do the work; get the results. This is a long recovery...

• Posted

aww i feel for u hun im due for my tknr next tuesday and im feeling slightly nervous i must say

i hope u get some relief soon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.