Knee Replacement

Posted , 18 users are following.

I have been told today that i need both knees replaced has any body got some advice for me?

1 like, 115 replies

115 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thanks. I have found it quite hard but haven't used a stick. My holiday to goa was the last straw. I just couldn't walk anywhere. Just had to keep sitting down all the time. I just hope it works. I am also in a quandary about spinal block. I dint want to be aware of what is going on. At the moment I am not sleeping with worrying about it.
    • Posted

I has a spinal block and if you tell the anaesthetist you are scared they will give you a sedative 

I did that and slept all the way through the op 

dont be afraid to ask 

jean 

• Posted

I was just like you - unable to enjoy walking on holiday. Looking forward to doing it next year 😊 

Also, don't worry about spinal - as long as you're sedated. I was and was not aware of anything till it was all over. Good luck. Jen 

• Posted

Have the spinal Sussn, with sedation. You Edie up feeling fine and have no pain. until.it wears off. But it gives you time to get some analgesia on board. I hsve had two recent TKR. The first was relatively easy, the second has been much more painful. Keep taking your painkillers especially before physio, do you physio, ice, and ice and be kind to yourself. Accept any help.offered and be patient.
  • Posted

Thank you Jean, I will
    • Posted

Good luck for Saturday.

I had my first TKR in June and the second will be in March 2015.

Keep coming back to us after your op.  We're a mine of useful information and support.

Lynn 20 weeks post op

• Posted

I'm afraid if I had to choose between TKR and alternative therapies, I would choose TKR. After recovery you end up with new, well functioning knees and can get on with life. Fiddling around with alternative therapies seems to me that your life continues to be ruled by the knee and is s constant struggle. if course there  are risks with surgery, that is a fact of life. Most people though have a good outcome. Having hedlthy new knees means that mobility is improved, resulting in better health and well being. I have seen that numerous times as a nurse, and also with two elderly female relatives. These ladies both had bilateral TKR in their 70s and are now VERY active 80+ year olds. It is also a mistake to put off TKR  to a point of absolute last resort. You need to gave it before muscle wastage has set in dye to reduced mobility, so that rehab is more effective. My physio told me I had mine done just in time.
    • Posted

Here! here! Sandra

everything is so very true

I'm 76 and fortunate that my knee has only just  needed replacing

i feel for younger people... but ....with a TKR they can get their lives back on track

I'm  glad I had mine done so I can enjoy the rest of my life pain free 

• Posted

Hi Alan.......I have the utmost respect for those brave people that have the two knees replaced at the same time.

I suppose it's better to get it over and done with all at once, then you don't have to go through it again, like many of us do.

My advice, stick to this forum, it is a plethora of information.

Good luck!

• Posted

Do you think that men seem to fair better than women in knee replacements. They don't seem to have as many problems afterwards?
    • Posted

I tend to think so. I met a man at the pre admission physio and the occupational health session, he got operated on straight after me. He was up and about in no time and discharged on day 3 post op.

My son saw him at the shopping centre on week two without any walking aids, just holding his wife's arm.

He made me feel like I was lingering, but we are all different.

• Posted

It might be the difference between men and women or it might just be different knees. I have had both done a month apart. The first one was relatively easy after, the second much more painful.
    • Posted

I agree, the man round the corner was walking out after only two weeks or maybe their conditioned to be brave smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.