Knee Replacement

Posted , 18 users are following.

I have been told today that i need both knees replaced has any body got some advice for me?

1 like, 115 replies

115 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Here in the US, these replacements are LAST RESORT for most.....

If knee(s) bend and you can walk, there is cartlidge there...once replacement, the knee is gutted of everything.....so you are left with a long rehab, recovery, and I hear stiffness is always there...

I'm working to NOT do this for my 76 yr old knee and do many alternatives...

YOu know what you have now, but you don't know what you will get until it's all over.....I hear the word "NEED" so much from the UK folks.....

In my mind surgery unless emergency is last resort!!!   Joy 

• Posted

Our surgeons don't do the knee op unless they think it really needs it.

even though we have our NHS these ops still cost money.

i say to anyone who needs to enhance their quality of life ....go for it ...it's a long road to recovery ....but .....worth it in the end 

a knee op for some Is a last resort  after struggling to walk.

• Posted

I agree Jean,I was almost confined to the house and garden before this I am so looking forward to getting back to long walks and NOT having to take a lift in shops and hotels !
    • Posted

Yes fran it will be nice not to need lfts anymore 

the knee replacement is a wonderful thing when recovery is complete

thank goodness for our understanding surgeons.....

• Posted

You may be of that opinion - but I know several people with knee replacements who are still able to ski. Done properly, nowadays there is NOT a long rehab and recovery time - I skied with someone a year or two ago just a few months post-op.

"I hear the word "NEED" so much from the UK folks" - in the UK you get things when it is "needed" or "required". Not because a doctor is going to make money out of your case. As Jean says, surgery isn't done in the UK without need. And you can still bend knees and walk when there is no cartilage - it just hurts like hell. Why discourage people from surgery that will improve their quality of life because YOU don't fancy it? Or can't afford it and are making a virtue of the fact.

• Posted

Joy..I could go on all night about us poor UK  .TKR recipients

but at the end of the day ....we are the fortunate ones 

• Posted

Here, here, Fran  - my motivation for the op was to be able to enjoy long walks again, nothing adventurous, just leisurely strolls on holiday and walks in the fresh air around our local area. Before the op I couldn't do these comfortably and there was no chance of ever being to be able to do so. Now, although not doing it yet, I've got the hope of doing it before long. Jen (16 weeks) 
  • Posted

I think that I'd have one knee done at a time as I've found the pain difficult to deal with, although I do know someone in their early 70's who had two knees replaced in one go and she coped really well! At the end of the day you have to listen to the advice of the professionals regarding the surgery but I also know someone who decided ten years ago not to have a TKR who now is confined to her home and regrets not having the operation!

• Posted

My point exactly Glenda. By delaying or not having surgery that is needed for normal.mobility, people are negatively impacting their health as they get older. it is so important to remain mobile. That is why I get a little annoyed with the aggressive promotion of alternative therapies instead of TKR. 
  • Posted

I am due to have my Tkr on Saturday. Must admit I am so scared. I do agree 100 percent with Eileen. I have walked for years with one leg with one cartilage and the other with a tiny piece hanging on like a thread. I can bend both legs but find it so painful walking around. The nhs will not do these ops willy nilly. I have waited years for mine.  I just hope I am lucky enough for it to not be so painful
    • Posted

Hi Susan

all the best for Saturday

you sound as if you've really been suffering......

• Posted

ah, bless you susan.  don't be scared, you will be taken care of by professional people from start to finish whose job it is to make you as comfortable as possible during your first couple of days post op.  they will also be there to make sure you are are pain free and if this is not the case, make yourself heart!  take it step-by-step and remember, we are here for any questions you may have once you get back home.  all will be well, susan.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.