Knee Replacement

Posted , 11 users are following.

I had a double knee replacement 8 weeks ago, im wondering if i have made a big mistake, i am awake every hour at night my knees are so painful i spend the night quietly sobbing, if i take 2 endone 10mg total makes no difference, the Doctor wants me off the painkillers and is weaning me off the margin 10mg twice per day, i use a pillow for my knees at night no help, and do my excursuses daily has anyone got any advice im getting desperate

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

First of all GOD BLESS YOU, a double knee replacement? You're very brave! I m 7/1/2 weeks post op and still do not get a good night sleep, but it's normal believe me. Try the ice several times a day and try to get off of the pain killers, you know what they do relative to binding you also. Try s topial cream for the pain it does help temporarily. You may feel depressed, down in the dumps, sad feel like crying it's all normal believe me but it will get better just gang in, I m still tired every day but it will improve!

• Posted

Thanks David, at the moment 'm feeling all of those things, everyone says what a brave woman I am for getting both knees done at once, I think more like stupid especially when I know what I do now.

• Posted

Can only say that things should improve. Hydromorphone worked for pain for me. I am at 7 months after two tkr's on Mar 21. Fight for the right to manage your pain. Depression is debilitating but your decision to have tkr's may have been your only solution. Many of us reached the end of the road and tkr's hopefully mean a return of mobility, albeit with some side effects and a long recovery, maybe 18-24 months. X

• Posted

Dear Robyn, I had an Left TKR 10weeks ago. Had trouble sleeping for about 8 weeks. Could not sleep at all. Was getting very desperate. Finally, started taking Melatonin with a Benadryl. This combo started to get me some kind of sleep. It will get better, just hang in there. I will say a prayer for you. Yours Truly The Davester

• Posted

Hi there sorry to hear your situation. You have to get on top of your pain, which means taking the right kind and quantity of meds.
  • Posted

I had a tkr but only on one knee. I was on hydrocodone for 60 days and then he gave me tramadol. Not sleeping all night because of pain, is something I went through too. Took naps during the day. The dr said the same thing to me but I took all the hydrocodone he prescribed. Don't worry we are here for you. Just let us know how you are doing.

• Posted

If you still need the pain relief, I would stay on them.  Alittle whining about the pain might be in order.  Or have them switch the pain meds to something else.  It does hurt after TKR and sometimes it goes on for awhile, but having both done at the same time should bring some extra consideration from the doctors.  It will probably take you longer, because you don't get to favor your wounded knee since both are healing.  I can't even imagine how you would deal with it.  Having one knee done was plenty for me to deal with.  Sure hope things get better for you.

• Posted

Thankyou so much for your reply, its great talking to other people who have been through the same thing, I thought I had a pretty high tolerance for pain but this is becoming unbearable after 8 weeks, especially at night.
    • Posted

I got myself some aspercreme for at night and would slather it on the knee.  I also got some salon patches that had lidocain and aspirin in them with menthol and those were really soothing.  You might break the bank doing for both knees but it would help you.  At nearly 3 months I still have pain in the inside of the knee.  It's nearly the same as before the surgery, so I sure hope that's temporary.  My RA doc said it would be better in three months and that I wouldn't even think about the knee at 6 months.  I can tell you that weeks after the surgery I was doubting that I could muster up the courage to get the other knee done after experiencing so much pain.  But now that it is getting much better, I believe I will be able to.  You will not have to revisit this again, and for that I am envious.  These new joints will be good for the rest of your life. No one can prepare you for this, or at least those who've had it done don't go into what they went thru.  The common phrase I hear is:  "best thing I ever did."  I bet a year from now we'll be saying the same thing.  I guess you don't know what you can  put up with till you've gotten through it.

• Posted

You might want to try Salon Patches with lidocain and aspirin in  them with menthol, they were very helpful for me, although to treat both knees may break your bank.  It's a good idea to call the hospital where the op was done about the issue of needing pain relief.  It is now known that untreated pain levels slow down healing.

The most common thing I hear from people about TKR is "best thing I ever did" so in time all the misery is not worth mentioning compared to the improved quality of life.  Just think, with the lifespan of the new parts, you won't have to revisit this op like the majority of people who only do one knee at a time.  For that I envy you.  I had to reanswer this because the last entry I made disappeared.  Just want to encourage you that you will survive this and be able to benefit from having the surgery.  It's the length of recovery and having to work through it that gets to the best of us.  It will be an entire year before it's completely over.  But three months IS A TURNING point and you will finally see it working out for the best.

• Posted

I'm so sorry for your difficulties.  I joint he legions of tkr patients who admire your courage in doing both at the same time.  You might regret that now because of the pain, but in the long run, you'll be glad to being done with the procedure.

The pain meds they gave me in the hospital (morphine, oxycodone, oxycontin, dilaudid--don't know anything but the brand names, sorry) didn't work other than to mkae me hallucinate.  When I got out of the hospital, I thought I would try the hydrocordone, which had helped me with previous pain-management situations, and it di the trick.  Was I relieved.

I would suggest telling your doc that the pain med is not working and that you need to find one that does.  There is no sense in taking them if they have no effect.  And if you're in as much pain as you say you are, it's too early to get off of pain meds.

I also echo the suggestion that you get a second opinion.  Go outside the group your curent doc is part of because doctors in the same group are hesitant to contradict their partners

Good luck, and keep us posted!

• Posted

Hi Robyn,Poor you! Remember you have had a major op! Take a day at a time.Where abouts did you have your op? How about you talk to the consultant at the hospital? There is nothing worse than pain.My Hubby has had OA for many years & has been on pain killers ,which I am trying to wean him off! But it's not easy as he's got water on the knee.Anyway please get help.regards Amanda

• Posted

I am in week 11 and had similar pain.  The last 2 weeks has seen a bit of improvement.  I have found that the more I use it, the better it gets.  I am spending a lot of time in the gym stretching, foam rolling, and working flex and extension.  I am constantly moving my leg and twisting in every way possible that I can stand.  I also self massage the knee and quadracep a lot. I'm swimming and bike riding as well .  Hope this helps!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.