Knee replacement

Posted , 15 users are following.

Thank you so much to all those who have replied to me today im so grateful. I have managed to walk assisted with a walker to the toilet and back 3 times today although it was agony so i feel better for that and the idea about the belt to lift my let to support it is such a good idea because at the moment i cannot move it without it being supported by a nurse to move it off the bed and onto the floor. The nurses have said im doing really well as well its just what the P T said that upset me but im seeing a different one tomorrow so hopefully she will be better. Its good to hear from those that have had the same experience and the tips that you give to make things easier and that things will get better. Your replies have meant so much im stuck in hospital and my mum passed away this afternoon it was expected for a while but to have to deal with it when im going through this is really hard so being able to read your replies has given me a lift that i needed.

Thank you xx

2 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Lisa, so very sorry to hear about your Mum. Even when expected, it's hard. After all, it was Mum. Keep up with your good recovery. Make her proud!

• Posted

So sorry to hear of your Mother's passing! You will get through all of this by the grace of God. Hope your recovery goes well, this forum is a great support for all of us ! You can also use your good leg to lift your other foot off and on the bed if you don't have a belt. Again so sorry for your loss, and heal well! Dolores

• Posted

So very sorry for your loss. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

I to had to have the nurse lift my leg on and off of the bed. So you are doing just fine. Hold your chin high and do as your doing and you will be just fine.

God bless you and keep on healing.

• Posted

My deep st sympathy on losing your Mom.  Even though you expected it still so hard.  
  • Posted

You're doing good you're walking and I remember my physio person 13 weeks ago who wouldn't believe me when I said I couldn't straighten my leg he pushed down on my knee with 2 palms and I screamed cos I still had stitches in my wound scar is now purple and bruising marks I was up until recently very depressed but now I'm walking ok although will always need a stick other complaints I'm sorry about your Mum Stand to your care team if you can't do it you can't tell them everybody's differant you will do it when your leg is ready to do it I shuffled the leg to the edge of the bed then dropped it to the floor Just do your best and sod the physio they won't keep you in too long they need the beds hugs 💖💖💖

• Posted

So sorry a out you loss. Expects or not, its hard when it happens. My mother died over 25 years after a years illness and those memories are still vivid.

Keep on moving....that's you path to freedom.

• Posted

Lisa, I'm so sorry about your Mum passing away today. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I remember thinking I would never lift my leg on my own again. The strap they gave me was a god send. It will happen. Don't worry. PT will hopefully get you doing some leg and thigh strengthening exercises. Prayers and good luck to you. 🙏??

• Posted

Hi Lisa,  So sorry about your Mum, you really are going through it, but, the knee will improve and the dark side will turn into light, I know I'm 14 week post op.  I have been to places I never thought existed, especially in the night when things are a million times worse.  I Know how much it hurts to move just do a little each day because you are totally exhausted the exercises the physio wants you to do seem ridiculous but just do a little and it will come.  This op is a major trauma to your whole body it does not know its just your knee it has been brutally attacked it just feels abused and sore. No one prepares you for how it feels, but try to walk a little, keep on top of the pain killers,take  them regularly for as long as needed.  I stoppe the "very strong" ones as soon as I could because I think they distort your actual recovery but kept up with codeine for a few weeks and then paracetamol.  I walked without my two sticks asap advised by physio to help you walk more normally, then ditched the other at about 5 weeks although took it with me for back up.  Walk as much as you can small steps big reward. you will get better good luck xx

• Posted

Lisa - I am so sorry to hear about your Mom passing while you are in the hospital. While I had my TKR my mother became very ill and I could not go to see her since she resides in another state. My sympathy goes to you and your family. J21370
  • Posted

Oh Lisa expected or not it's hard when your mum passes away especially at this time when you're recovering from major surgery yourself. My heart goes out to you. Many condolences. Yes the recovery takes time & we all have good & bad days & nights, & lots of ups & downs . The good news is it WILL get better in time. I'm 13 weeks now but sill have to take care & not over do it . Many blessings x

• Posted

So sorry to hear about about your mum. I hope you have plenty of support around you.
  • Posted

Bless you Lisa, I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom. 

I used to use my other foot to help my leg move positions e.g. Like during the night when I didn't want to use my bandage which I used to use around my foot to drag it wherever I wanted it to go. 

Don't let your physio upset you, we all have teary days without anyone's help. It will all fall into place, at your body's own pace. Remember everyone is different regardless of age. I thought I'd sail through it as I'm realatively young for TKR at 57 but I was amazed at how a few at physio who were older found getting their ROM a lot easier and quicker than me. 

Just listen to your own body and rest whenever it tell someone you to.

• Posted

Typo when ever it tells you to x
  • Posted

So sorry about your mother. Although expected, it is a big thing to come to terms with and you are dealing with so much right now.

?Don't worry and stress about reaching milestones, just focus on getting better a little every day and allow yourself  time to heal physically and emotionally.  I've just started to improve a little  after 5 weeks  and a lot of despair, one day  at a time is all we can take at first x

• Posted

So sorry to hear about your Mum Lisa.  It's a difficult time for you, but you will get there with your knee.  I'd heard about this aspect of it being difficult to life the leg after the op - I think it happens to quite a few.  Yes, an understanding pt is everything at a time like this.  Mine was lovely and purely encouraging and I think most of us do our best with encouragement rather than feeling as though we're a disappointment!  But be encouraged from the group if you don't get it from thee pt - you WILL get there just fine!:-)))

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.