knee replacement

Posted , 10 users are following.

hi all, its me again. 13 weeks post op, can go up and down stairs ok, but coming down, is a bit more harder, lying on my back i can lift my leg up quite straight, also on my back, i can pull my leg back say 3 quarters, exercise bike is ok, going forward and going backwards, after exercising my knee and front and back of my thighs are sore. i should ice more, do you elevate your leg, and how many times a day, and for how long. i have just ordered a gell ice pack, as comments sound good, how many times should you ice and how long, should one put the ice gell onto the bare skin or use a towel under. your comments would be appreciated

peter

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Do not, repeat, do not put ice in contact with your bare knee. Twenty minutes max in any hour is the limit for application. This was the advice from a senior Physio nurse. Ice pack yes but under those limits.

Going up and down stairs: pre op when I was having injections in my first (pre op ) knee the Physio told me that coming down stairs is ALWAYS more painfull than climbing the stairs. I’ve tried to figure out the mechanics but failed. It has proved right after my second op. I can go up two stairs at a time even nbut it’s one step at a time coming down, sometimes I do single steps and sometimes I walk with following steps straight down.

• Posted

I am also 13 weeks post op.  I was given a Ice therapy system which I still use.  I ice almost every time I am sitting down and often go to sleep with ice on my knee.    Ice packs should never be used on bare skin so use a towel.  
    • Posted

Yep! Always use a towel. Recently finding that sitting to long e.g. at the dining table causes both knees to stiffen. That applies to the knee operated on, successfully 2 years ago. Anyone else have this discomfort?
    • Posted

yes delboy, same here, sit down, stand up, lie down, just dont know what to do, anyway cheers.
    • Posted

thanks for that matt, i will do more icing, how are you going otherwise, good luck.
  • Posted

Every therapist I have been to all say 15-20 minutes max for ice. I also have the gel packs ( 6 of them ) as long as you have a towel cloth or like me I have a wrap that I put 2 gel packs in and it has velcro straps to hold it in place around my knee and I will leave the pack on till its no longer cold. I will not put ice directly on my knee that will burn the skin if left on too long. As far as how many times my answer as long as I need to it could be 6 x a day it could be less it could be more depends on how your knee feels with the swelling. As far as sitting well my knee is not one to judge yourselves by but as of right now I can only sit for 20-30 minutes with my knee bent before I have to straighten it another thing that hurts if I stretch my leg on the coffee table with just my heel resting on the table that becomes rather painful as well but if your looking for a way to get your leg straight this works well gravity does all the work. I still stink at steps one at a time going up and down.
    • Posted

i will do more icing, swelling went down alot after the op. the size it is now, has remained like that for the past 2 months,doesnt seem to lessen.
    • Posted

We are all different I understand your concern but well my case is different but the swelling as long as there are no issues it should go down. It may not look exactly like you good knee but it will lessen give it time. If your still not comfortable with the swelling the next time you see the Dr. ask. Speaking from what I have been thru if something does not seem right I am going to find out why. 
  • Posted

13 weeks post op...1 week post MUA.  buy yourself a CYRO CUFF, the best £40 I have spent...wish I got it after my TKR instead after the MUA...has made a big difference in reducing the swelling of the knee to where I am getting 100 degrees in ROM now where before I was at 78.

• Posted

What is a Cyro cuff please can bent my leg to 0 and 120 bent physio told me last week. Still brusin g round my knee cap any help you could give would be helpfull.
    • Posted

Cyro cuff is like the cuff used to take blood pressure. Connected to a container of iced water. Google for images and descriptions. I found it very helpful after my ops. 
    • Posted

Thank you David have ordered one now still onwalking stick as still need to strengthen my quid more
    • Posted

Thank you David I've ordered one do you know how long you need to use a walking stick for also doing exercises on my exercise bike which you sit on a chair started backwards in it and then forward.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.