knee replacement

Posted , 10 users are following.

hi all, its me again. 13 weeks post op, can go up and down stairs ok, but coming down, is a bit more harder, lying on my back i can lift my leg up quite straight, also on my back, i can pull my leg back say 3 quarters, exercise bike is ok, going forward and going backwards, after exercising my knee and front and back of my thighs are sore. i should ice more, do you elevate your leg, and how many times a day, and for how long. i have just ordered a gell ice pack, as comments sound good, how many times should you ice and how long, should one put the ice gell onto the bare skin or use a towel under. your comments would be appreciated

peter

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Your doing great and well done. I’m 4wks post op and can do the stairs with my stick and also my bend is getting better. Slowly but surely. I can’t lift my leg from lying on my back. What I have found quite easy is.....standing in warm shower and bending knee. Also doing knee squats standing with back against the wall. It’s easier than trying to lie on back bending knee. As for the ice, I’ve got an ice bag from Amazon and you fill it with ice. Sits on your knee and mounds itself into your knee. I actually ice my knee lots of times and use a dish towel over my skin if it starts to feel too cold.  Xx
    • Posted

you sound as your doing very well just after 4 weeks, i dont know if age has anything to do with it, but i am70. good luck
  • Posted

12 weeks tomorrow from my I'm in the same can go upstairs ok it one leg at a time hopefully we will get there

• Posted

12 weeks tomorrow from my I'm in the same can go upstairs ok it one leg at a time hopefully we will get there

• Posted

Hi Peter,

Similar here 5 months post op on left knee. However right knee was exactly the same, but now almost 2 years post op is not a problem.

Re icing I put ice pack in a pillow case, it works well.

Best wishes, take care,

Alan

• Posted

cheers irish, i am going to increase the icing to 3,4 times a day
  • Posted

If the gel is very cold and you put it on bare skin it is likely to sting.

Nice to hear from you again.

How is the sleeping going?

Keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

hi sarah, no not sleeping well at all,the 2 nights with the pillow was great, but for some reason its not helping any more. my thighs are hurting more than anything,knee still feels very heavy and tight, i am going to increase icing see if that helps, apart from that i think im doing ok, how are you going?
    • Posted

...like your positive attitude. ‘Solder’ on as the plumber said.
    • Posted

I  would persevere with the pillow.

More icing would definitely help.

I am doing fine thank you.

Had my TKR 6 years ago so I have had time to get over it!!!

Sarah

• Posted

I’m on 2/12 for right and 4 months for left. I’m kneeling in the garden, using a soft kneeler to   accommodate the scar. Got some stiffness when I sit too long but well over the worst. In the early stages I wished I had waited longer but it was just putting the pain off to a later date. Glad I went ahead now.
    • Posted

yes sarah, i am continuing with the pillow, (had a good night last night), i am als increasing the icing
  • Posted

The best thing I ever had at Therapy was a device called " The Game Ready " no it was not a game but I loved it. It was a red box you filled it up with ice and water you could set the temp. for how cold you wanted it. From the box was an airline along with a line for the water this was attached to a wrap that completely covered your knee. Once it was turned on you would feel it compress tightly around your knee and with the added benefit of cooling. Some patients did not like it but I thought this thing is great only problem it is not cheap several thousand dollars. Still wish I had one I loved it that was the one thing  that I really looked forward to at therapy. It was great !!!!

• Posted

HI,

These are called cryocuffs.

Available on Amazon and other websites. Also issued by some hospitals.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

What I was referring to is called Game Ready if you look it up on Amazon its the last one. Its red and unavailable. The cryocuffs are similar to what I use not as fancy but still do the same thing. Its larger enough that it holds to gel packs and it has 3 straps with velcro so you have it pretty snug around your knee.It seems there are different versions all do the same thing. I used something similar the last place I went to for therapy. They all work some are better than others so far the best one I have ever used was the Game Ready.
    • Posted

Thank you Alan ordered one yesterday it came today. Do you need to put the gel run on your knee first.x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.