Knee replacement in 3 days and I live on 3rd floor. Will I be able to get up to my condo?

Posted , 17 users are following.

I really want to recover in my own home.  I've prepared my home with food and drinks and tons of ice packs.  I know I will be in a walker but if I can get help up to my condo I can stay there till my next appt.  

Please help me if u think this is possible .  The nurse just told me I should stay with someone.  I'm new here and my family lives over 1000 mi alway and best friends few states awat. The friend I could stay with here I would still have stairs to climb it would just be inside the house instead of outside. I would be very uncomfortable there .  Really want to stay home. Any advice .

1 like, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

His Christi

That's tough I don't know everyone is different . In UK was kept in for 3 nights and physio needs to be sure you are safe to do stairs before discharge.

I had hubby at home and personally think three flights of stairs would be challenging, especially going down. Everyone is different but you want to be safe after a knee op it's routine but major work.

You will probably have to attend outpatient physio or PT as you call it but see if they can come to you.

If you have stuff in place like raised loo seats, uncluttered floors, grab rails for shower you should be OK. Lots of people have it done without anyone at home. Make sure things in cupboards are low and get a stool for the shower. You'll only need these for a while.The exercises are important, take your pain medication regularly and ice and elevate . You'll be given all the advise .

All the best in your journey I'm 9 weeks post and am so pleased I have a stable joint, can go up and down stairs one leg in front the other and don't walk in fear if my knee giving out. I am sure of you follow the long regime you will be fine.

• Posted

Only thing I would change there is better a chair than a stool . . one of those plastic type chairs for the patio . . safer than a stool, and if it has arms easier to push yourself up. Of course, depends on the size of the shower, whether it's a walk in or over the bath . . . I just don't know how people cope with an over the bath type.  think I am a bit of wimp . . . 

• Posted

Christi - I would imagine It's pretty tough going home alone.  It's been over a year for me, but I remember clearly how mentally freaked out I was when I first used the stairs.  I couldn't leave the hospital until I had practiced up and down stairs - and that was with my husband either in front of me or behind me for support.  I only had one flight up to second floor, but I would go down in the morning and not go back up til bedtime.  If you can have someone stay with you, that's what you should do.  If only for the emotional support of having someone nearby.  Good luck!!

Mary Ann

• Posted

I think you will be just fine. If you have to go up backwards up on your butt and come down forwards on your butt. I had my family here but nobody helped me. The only thing I wished I had was a raised toilet seat or a tall toilet. But for my next one I will have a walker in the bathroom to help me up. I had to use stairs for my shower and the day between it I used bath wash premoistend wipes. Hang tough where there is a way you can do. I am s scheduling my second TKR for sometime in March. I am 4 months post TKR on my other knee. Guess I readyfor more punishment but want to get it over with. Take care and God Bless you!!!
  • Posted

If you are doing exercises at home for first week I think you would be better staying at home as then only the first steps and not for every meal. You'd be more comfortable at home and then no stress from a dog and you'll have you're own tv watch what you want. Like I saiid sit down on steps as you have to and walk up when you can. You can alternate. Best of luck and take care.

• Posted

If you have stairs at home that you need to navigate, the hospital should not be sending you home until you are safely able to navigate them. You should not use a walker on steps - use a crutch, and PT is responsible for teaching you and watching you return a safe demonstration of how to perform stairs. I guess a really big consideration is how often you will need to navigate all those stairs - will you be staying in once you get up to the third floor? Would someone be able to check on you once a day, get your mail, etc. until you are feeling a little stronger? Perhaps even a home care agency to send someone out during the first week or so? Be safe and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers that all will go well for you!
    • Posted

I never suggested using the walker on the steps I said to use it when she was at the top. If you read her post she said she will not be leaving once she got home and has someone staying with her for the first week and she has prepared food for after that. All her stuff has been taken care of in her house to prepare for this.

Sorry for venting but I know how I made due when my family did nothing for me. If you prepare it can be done and she really wanted to be in her own home and bed.

• Posted

Thanks yes my home is prepared and I have someone to stay with me but they r missing work so if I can will let them leave me after a day.

I am freaking out now because hospital called wants 600 up front. I said I just paid 500 but that was for dr.

Blood work was $408

I have Bcbs but my deducts are 2000. Has to pay up front fee $100 for mri too and o haven't seen the X-ray bills. I am single and have missed work when I tore my knee. It's been worn out long time but then I tore it too so it was locking up n pain with fragments in medial gutter of knee causing more pain . Also valgus deformity (knot knee) from having OA so long.

I had no idea 3 days before they would want more $!!

This money thing is stressing me as much as the stairs !!!

• Posted

Hi Christi, I just joined this thread. I totally agree that home is THE best place to recover after the mauling of a major operation.

As long as you can climb the stairs, & I would hope the hospital Physio will ensure you can do this before discharge, you should be able to go home. As long as . . .

1. You have someone with you when you go there.

2. You take it very slowly, do not let anyone hurry you up. You take time to rest & place your feet properly on the steps.

I cannot believe they chuck you out of hospital the same day! Wow!

Good luck & I hope you do get to go home.

All the best

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Hi

Yes the day after the operation I could climb stairs while I was in hospital, when I got home on the 4th day. Swelling had really increased so I did not feel safe on our stairs at home, we also only have a hand rail on one side, so I did it the safe when on my bum.

Good healing

• Posted

Hi christie

The problem you have is that if there are any problems ie stairs toilet bathing or showering you have to get in and out of a bath or shower botth are slippery and the monotony of being on your own can affect you

My wife had just started a new job so was only there in the morning and evenings she was my rock when at home i just had to manage through the day also cooking for yourself is extremely difficult when on two crutches my advice is have someone there at least part of the day i wish you a speedy recovery.

• Posted

Hi Christi!

I understand that you want to be in your own home. Home always seems best. I DO have some questions for you to help you think more about going it on your own following surgery:

1) What will you do if you fall?

2) Can someone get to you quickly IF you become ill or spike a fever?

3)If you drop your medication, how will you retrieve it?

4)If you are unable to get off the toilet, out of bed, out of a chair etc. what will you do?

5) God forbid there is a fire, a power outage, or some terrible event! How will you handle those ALONE?

After a few weeks you will be able to move a lot better. Swelling will be less. You will be done with blood thinner shots.

My vote?

Stay with a friend for the first few weeks. You will rest much easier with someone there if you need them!

Left TKR-June 2015

Right TKR-October 2015

• Posted

U r right! Didn't think of all that. It's very overwhelming!

Thanks helps to hear all this.

I've never lived above ground floor for any other surgeries and always had my son or friends and family very close. This year or past 9 months have been my worst and being so far away from loved ones when I started getting worse is hard.

Thanks for enlightening me. I guess I'm not 1/2 as prepared as I thought.

• Posted

You are very welcome! My husband and I had his mom at our house for several months following her stroke, and several years later had MY mom at our house for two years when she was 99 and then 100 years old. We placed the highest priority on SAFETY because if you aren't SAFE nothing else matters!

The value of having someone WITH you is REALLY important especially in the beginning when you are learning how to maneuver, how your body reacts to trauma, and when healing causes you to need LOTS of rest!

Please keep us posted on how things go for you!😊

• Posted

I had a bilateral knee replacement done. I spent 5 days in hospital and went home to my own home. I had 7 steps just to get into my house and then 13 between levels. My bathroom and bedroom were upstairs so I had to make that trip a couple of times a day. you are getting one knee done right? And you just have to go up the stairs to get to your condo and then you are on one level? I think you should be ok with that part. Nice to have someone around to help though - I was pretty useless for a while.

One simple thing that I would not have survived without is a raised toilet seat. Simple but oh so important.

• Posted

However, five days in hospital is very different from being sent home on the day of the operation, wich is what Christi is looking at.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.