Knee replacement in 3 days and I live on 3rd floor. Will I be able to get up to my condo?

Posted , 17 users are following.

I really want to recover in my own home.  I've prepared my home with food and drinks and tons of ice packs.  I know I will be in a walker but if I can get help up to my condo I can stay there till my next appt.  

Please help me if u think this is possible .  The nurse just told me I should stay with someone.  I'm new here and my family lives over 1000 mi alway and best friends few states awat. The friend I could stay with here I would still have stairs to climb it would just be inside the house instead of outside. I would be very uncomfortable there .  Really want to stay home. Any advice .

1 like, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I'm so grateful for everyone sharing with it really helps!

Where can I get raised potty ? Mine is low it hurts me especially in morming and middle of night .

I just had 8 injections in my spine today . I'm lean and 47 but I have severe osteo arthritis back and ruptured disc with pinched nerve causing left leg and buttock pain also too many other spinal issues with long hard to spell names. Need laminectomy and fusion but have been putting that off for years

• Posted

I didn't mean to hit send yet so anyway I am in pain now from the injections but it should help my recovery because my knee is messed up and with me limping it has caused more back pain and trochanter bursitis .

I never knew anyone could endure so much pain and still work and live.

I am not sure if I can make it up the steps but I am going to do my best because once I am here I will be on one level and with my heat pad my ice my pillows for my back and all my other little things that will help me be comfortable in my own surroundings I just think it'll be much better if I can get to my own home .I'm really having a lot of anxiety tonight not knowing what the best thing to do is .As I mentioned earlier in addition to all this the hospital called wanting more money upfront and when I had knee surgery in 2007 and years before I never had to put so much money down and I still have Blue Cross Blue Shield although I'm in a different state . I've already missed a lot of work and a lot of social activities because I couldn't walk some days on my knee . I'm just not sure what to do but I know I need to get this done because my leg is deformed it won't straighten or bend all the way and the deformity is starting to be noticeable as a not me so thanks for all of your help and any advice you can give me is truly appreciated .

• Posted

Please excuse my typos I am using Siri but I just wanted to reply and thank everyone and I will keep y'all posted as to what I do and how my surgery goes also mention my back was injured four years ago my knee getting worse it's just increase the pain as well as the trochanter bursa -itis on my bad knee side just started this past year so I can't lay on my right side because of that on my left side because of the disc pain what a mess . I wish all of you the best and thanks so much for sharing with all of us newbies.

• Posted

You are so welcome. I don't know where you live but around here the drug stores carry them.

• Posted

That is the raised toilet seat can be found.
    • Posted

Oh Christi, you really are going through it at the moment. I hope it all goes well for you & you have the end result you deserve i.e. a knee with no pain.

At least you will have a friend with you when you are discharged.

Please keep in touch with us here & let us know how you're doing after your op.

Hope it goes well for you.

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Another thing that you might want is a grabber stick. It helps you pick up something if you drop it so you don't have to get up or bend over. They are rather inexpensive. It will help you in getting dressed to. Not sure what they are really called but it is like a tube with handle with prong thugs on the end and you pull the handle so the prongs open and shut so you cans grab things.

• Posted

You will need someone with you. I could not have managed without help both physical  and emotionally.   I needed to stay in five days as I was very sick from the drugs.  At home one or two stairs would be manageable but not many more to begin with.   I don't want to sound negative but you really need support especially in the early days - it's easy to feel down when you are exhausted or have pain.  I hope you get a solution and truly wish you well. If I was nearby I would come and help.🙂

• Posted

They called said dr orederee me roller walker, 3 way use potty & cane and ice machine but my ins won't cover that so it's $250.

Thanks for all the encouragement. I wish u all the best too!!

My friend had horse accident today at 4pm broke arm and bruised up so I am going to have to get someone new to help me. 😩They changed my time to the earliest slot Monday too.

• Posted

I'm so sorry 😐. Hope you find someone else to help and your friend heals quickly. Also if you have a senior center or equivalent to that you may find some to rent or use for free ( your supplies). God bless you and I am praying for all that all this works out for you. Where do you live? Just curious. Mary

• Posted

Oh my gosh that's awful , all of it !

You got get moving on finding someone. By next week this time you'll have surgery behind you just think on that .

Will say prayer for you on everything. Hang in your doing a good job of handling all the disruptions that have come up. I feel for your being alone has its challenges for sure .

Debbiexo

• Posted

Just a little tip that may make things a little easier for you .... if you get the ice machine, don't mess with actual ice chips. I froze about a dozen bottles of water and used like 4-5 frozen water bottles in the machine. When those were melted I put them back in the freezer and took new ones out. It sure beats the mess and hassle of getting bags of ice and kept the water nice and cold in the machine. Wishing you happy healing!

• Posted

Oh Christi

So sorry to hear about your friend. I hope you find someone else who will come & stay whilst you recover from your op.

Perhaps your GP surgery can point you in the direction of where to get the things you need?

Over here the GP & Libraries have all sorts of information on things like that.

In a month's time you will be over the worst I hope, then you can start to make that leg strong again.

Just a thought, we have Age Concern who are normally pretty good when it come to anything older people need esp those alone & needing medical treatment. Also the Red Cross hire out equipment needed by those having operations or for the terminally ill. Bit late in the day but maybe worth a punt??

I wish you well & hope your operation & your recovery go really well.

Keep in touch!

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Is there any chance you can go to a rehabilitation facility for the first week or so??? You really will need a lot of help for several weeks to a month at least. Stairs are the last thing I could do when I had my TKR. I could drive before I could do the stairs to any degree. Hope you can get help! Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.