knee replacement - manipulation under anaesthetic

Posted , 8 users are following.

I don't suppose any of you can give me any reassurance with regards the above. I am 7 week as post op full knee replacement, I am 45. Went to see my consultant Friday and was devastated to hear him say he was taking me back to threatre this Wed. Long story but cocked up physio, basically none... I am normally very fit healthy ect, did my exercises they gave me religion ity but obviously not enough. I am very scared, the pain after the op was horrendous and I am dreading this next phase!!!

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Good grief, I've heard this is a horrendous rehab, I guess theatre is operating room for more surgery, right.....sorry I can't respond otherwise, doing all I can to save my knee at 76.  Hope the best for you, of course.   J
  • Posted

I presume you mean for manipulation to get. It bending and straight .it shouldn't be too bad . I have heard of this being done before . It will be nothing like the op, don't worry , you will be fine . Good luck 

Pam 16 weeks 

• Posted

Hi pam, yes he said its only a few minutes in theatre. Just a little anxious, I guess its the unknown. Thank you for your kind words.
  • Posted

Nikki,

I am nearly 19 weeks post op.  I'm sure it won't be too bad.  Just wish some people didn't scaremonger.

Good luck and we'll all be waiting to hear from you!

Lynn

• Posted

Sorry to hear your not having a good time. What bend do you have? The only reason I've heard for taking you back in is your bend is not good. Hope all goes well and please keep in touch it's nice( wrong word really lol) to speak to someone else who is the same age as me and at the same stage. I am 44 and 7 1/2 weeks post tkr. All the best love Jo x
    • Posted

Hi Jo, thank you. It's 80ish but not very straight. The surgeon was fuming about the physio and so upset for me. But I kept chasing it and in the end I was my GP that got it sorted, I really pushed myself with the exercises but was so unsure what extra I could do. I just want to get back to work now.

How you doing.

Nikki x

• Posted

I think he was rather brief with the explanation. As I understand from one of my friends, they quickly but completely sedate you, bend the joint to loosen the scar tissue in a manner that wouldn't be possible while awake and have you back on your feet in a few minutes. Can't imagine having to go back in with an invasive proceedure. Only a couple of things would necessitate that extreme, one being an infection. Which would would have happened weeks ago and you would have been physically ill, the other would be the knee cap popping loose and you would visabily be aware of that. I am guessing the worse part of this is the anticipation and not the reality. Let us know.
    • Posted

Excellent reply.  The girl is scared enough without more worry being heaped upon her.

By the way, Thanksgiving is not far off now.  Can't wait to be your side of the pond visiting my daughter!

Lynn 19 weeks post op

• Posted

I live appx 650 mi. east of Denver and we got out 1st taste of fall weather this week. Finally got our 1st killing frost so thanksgiving is right around the corner. Of course the retailers already have the shelves loaded with Christmas, they almost ignore thanksgiving. I tested out my knee in a new way this week. I had been sick, running a low grade temp and unable to eat or drink much for 48 hrs. Thought I had a bug and it would go away. Wednrsday , early afternoon I got up to go to the bathroom and my weak legs gave out on me and my delicate little 6'1"-200 lb body went head and knees 1st into the hardwood floor. Popped my head open and I bled profusely till my wife could bring me a towel then had to call an ambulance to take me to the hospital where they discovered a bladder/kidney.infection of unusual origin and are treating it with a couple of antibiotics. The knees however held up great......a little sore from the impact, but no structural damage

I wished afterwards I'd had my best buddy, the ice bag with me but it was a little to late to worry about it. Its amazing how durable the prosthetic knees are. Hope you have a wonderful trip over. Also the air will be much cleaner by then as the elections are over tomorrow.

• Posted

Poor you!  Hope you're feeling better now.

Thanks for the weather information!  Will come prepared this time.  On numerous occasions the Denver weather has caught us out - both hot, but more often, cold and snowy.

Our car journey down to Cimarron takes us over Raton Pass which is quite a challenge in snow.

Happy Thanksgiving! 

• Posted

Thank you both, at least I will be a sleep and like you say afterwards straight on my feet. Sometimes I hate the internet, it either reassures you or scares you to death!

Kind regards

Nikki

• Posted

Yes, the internet is definitely a two-edged sword!

Keep in touch.

• Posted

ahhhh ... i am 8 weeks post op and my bend up until last week was also 80 degrees. i then went on lyrica and have since gained 15 degrees, i.e. am now at 95 degrees. this happened at the last possible moment as i otherwise would have been going in tomorrow for the same manipulation. my doc has now postponed it until dec 16 which gives me 6 weeks to get the bend up to (or possibly even over!!) 100 degrees. so i am not completely out of the woods, but on a good track.

can you not try lyrica for a couple of weeks and get a decent physio to "torture" you 3 times a week before going in for this manipulation? based on my momentary success, would it be worth talking to your surgeon? i realize it is last minute but ...

good luck nikki!

britta, 8 weeks post op (51)

• Posted

Hi Britta, I tried to postpone him but he was having none of it. I literally had my first physio the day before I saw him. Said we had to start again and this way I will get a 130 bend!!

I will keep you all posted... :-(

Kind regards

Nikki x

• Posted

Hi Nikki

I am 10 weeks tomorrow but on my review at 6 weeks I was only at a bend of 80. I have another review on 17th November to decide whether I need this manual procedure.

However in the last three weeks I have managed to bend to just a bit more than 100; and my physio does not think it will be necessary, I have everything crossed as it is not something I wish to go through and my heart goes out to you.

Will be thinking of you on Wednesday, all the very best, Tracey

• Posted

Hi Tracey, wow that's great news for you and fingers crossed you won't need it.

Aww thank you, I . Will keep you all posted.

Kind regards

Nikki

• Posted

Personally, I wouldn't even consider it. You will gain bend as you continue the journey as long as you continue to excercise. In a perfect world the professionals would like a 120 bend but my therapist always said 112-115 would get me doing anything I wanted to do. Of course age may have a bearing on that but he was kind enough not to bring that into the conversation. You will be surprised how much progress you will make as you grow in strength. You have to remember, even though the Dr's don't tell you up front, it takes close to a year for the body to forgive you for the invasion. Nerves are the slowest healing area of the body. Just keep plugging away and one day the scar will be the only reminder you will have of the experience
    • Posted

I think you are right Oldfatguy.

Last June I had an op on my left knee to remove the pins inserted 30 years ago. I could not bend my knee at all for more than two weeks! It took nearly six,weeks to bend nicely and until June of this year to feel normal again. It didn't resolve my knee problem however which is why I then had the TKR.

The point is we also all recover at different rates, I was doing my exercises like mad last year and this. The physio at the hospital do manage to scare us with the window of opportunity business also!

There have been a couple of posts re manipulation and they have confirmed it is nothing like the operation - it's the fear of the unknown.

Nikki - if you don't want it doing ask him to give you two more weeks?

A good exercise I have found is to lie on the bed and lift the bad leg up in the air and then try to let your leg bend / hangdown from the knee - it does hurt but a few minutes at a time. Or try sitting on something so your leg swings freely.

• Posted

Ps I understand that there is a cut off point for the efficacy of the procedure but think it is within three months?
    • Posted

I agree about this 'six week window' comment that is bandied about.  Have just this afternoon seen my consultant who states the knee continues to improve for a year or more.
    • Posted

Hi Tracey, yea I discussed waiting but he said this will give me the best chance quickly. It's very difficult because I do trust and respect my surgeon. He's looked after me for over 8 years.

Funny enough after having my first physio session last Thursday the lady showed me the very same exercise. Could just do with a taller chair and bed... I'm six foot...

Thanks for all your support, I do sincerely appreciate it.

Kind regards nikki

• Posted

Hi Nikki

Well I think it's great that you have a surgeon that you trust (not that easy to find!)

Let us know how you get on, we are all here to share and support each other and you will usually find the answer or advice you need!

Kind regards, Tracey

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.