Knee replacement pain in lower back

Posted , 5 users are following.

i am 13 weeks along after total knee replacement, after about 4 weeks started having lower back pain, which is very intense especially towards end of day. Am waiting for MRI in March been told it could be a pinched nerve cause by hernated disc or it could be muscular, have tried chiropractor, massage, doing exercises for knee, walking etc, but with the pain i find myself getting depressed at times wondering if I will ever not have the pain.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I had bilateral knee replacement surgery 13 months ago and went through the same issue. After the surgery our gait is different, and without realizing it, we also walk with some trepidation and tighten up our body. The back issue is common as our new gait, incorrect position with exercises, etc throws the back out. I did chiropractor and massage, as well as some stretches for lower back and eventually everything cleared up after I began to relax a bit more. My surgeon also thought it might be a pinched nerve, but after investigating found out it was not, just me being tense and concerned about falling, walking, discomfort and all the stress, and concern. I know it's not easy to do, but try doing some relaxation techniques such as meditation, there are a lot to choose from on you tube. As they say, "this too shall pass". Best of luck with your recovery.

• Posted

thank you x i have thought that it was exactly what your saying as you do tend to gaurd it with every movement you make x i have some problems coming downstairs too x i still step down each step instead of walking down normally x any advice x

• Posted

I live in Canada, and at the hospital here, they send patients for rehabilitation for up to 14 days when a double knee replacement is done. When I was at rehab I had to be able to do a flight of stairs before they would let me go home. My initial reaction was to do the stairs the way you are doing them but they told me not to do that because it effects your back, and it's important to train yourself to do the stairs correctly or you will continue to go down stairs wrong and throw your body out of alignment. Doing one foot after the other on the stairs is important. I did the stairs the way they wanted and that was day three after surgery. Of course they made sure that I was secure with the railing and I did five stairs initially and then progressed to a full flight. It felt uncomfortable initially but I soon learned that it was more comfortable than going sideways. Take it slow, be sure you are holding onto the railing securely and get someone to assist you by standing behind you, to give you the confidence. If you still feel uncomfortable, do the stairs when you feel you can. Start going up a couple of stairs and increase as you feel comfortable. We are all different in our progress, so you will progress at your speed.

• Posted

This is a phase I went through as well. I believe my right leg was doing all the work for my left until LTKR. Now I'm straightened up so only natural my back reacted. I'm good now at 3 + mos. So many changes to endure. Hope you feel better soon. PT had me laying on my back doing lifts etc which were quite uncomfortable but now things are beginning to right themselves.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.